Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modded ps1 issues.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default modded ps1 issues.

a couple years ago i had my ps1 modded by osg. I was under the impression that i would be able to play imports and some backups. First game i put in was wild arms 2. I got an anti piracy message and the game would not boot. Mind you i owned a legit copy. No big deal though its just one game. So i learned that i coukd disable the chip by holding reset. Well i did and the ps1 doesnt recognize discs with the chip disabled! Then, i disovered another problem that when playing multi disc games it wont boot the game from any disc but disc one. So if i am continuing a game from disc 2 on say resident evil i cant. Id have to start disc 1 from the last in game save point before the game tells me to change to disc 2. I took the ps1 out of the closet yesterday because i just bought strider hiryu 1 and 2 import. Well i popped it in and guess what happens? I get an anti piracy message and the game does not boot. i only have about 20 ps1 games but thats a small percent that are unplayable. Had i known this beforehand...
    Last edited by mills; 09-14-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I've had several modded PS1s in my day (and still own two) ... and while the anti-mod-chip games were a bit of a headache (that can usually be disabled by a gameshark or action replay code) ... the problem you're describing with multi disc games sounds really odd.

What PS1 mod-chip bios prevents multi disc games from booting properly???

All of the mod chips I've ever used allow for multi disc games.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Deadpixels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

While I've never played a game that featured the anti-piracy message I can tell you that all of my experiences with multi disc games have been just fine. It seems like you either had your system modded with a faulty chip or something very strange is happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id highly recommend you get one of the Parallel Port Action Replays instead. That way, you can easily disable it by unplugging it!
    And if im not mistaken, there were codes for the Action Replay to get around the Anti Piracy methods...

If not, go here: http://megagames.com/psx/psx_patches.shtml
    There are lots of PPF Patches for the Protected Games!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a modded PSX for years and haven't encountered any of the issues you mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sounds like a bad mod.

Send it back.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you for the feedback everyone. My ps1 doesnt have the serial port in the back. It was modded by osg who does good work afaik. His only advice was to rip patch and burn new discs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    thank you for the feedback everyone. My ps1 doesnt have the serial port in the back. It was modded by osg who does good work afaik. His only advice was to rip patch and burn new discs
    That's WAY too much work.

I'm not sure what kind of chips/bios he was working with ... but they've been dual-disc capable since the beginning ... and there were chips about 6 ot 7 years ago that would even bypass the anti mod chip software protection ...

Something doesn't sound kosher to me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All of those PS1 chips mods are really simple. All they do is inject the right protection code into the system so it thinks it read it from the CD. Most games look for this only during boot, but the "anti-piracy" disks just check for this code later to see if it's still there (when it's not supposed to be).

Later mod chips played the code at boot and then stopped, avoiding the messages.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i brought the issues up initially but he made it seem like i was just being a pain in the ass and that i should deal with it myself. This is what i call bad customer service. How would i go about handling this issue now with osg?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why you shouldn't mod systems that don't need to be modded. Although there are many on here who have had successful mod jobs done to their PS1--what can their modded PS1 do that my US PS1 with a $5 import adapter can't do? Absolutly nothing. The adapters let you easily get around those anti-mod screens with codes.

As for the issue with Dual Disc games, I've run into that before but I also have a Net Yaroze which pretty much aleviates that whole process.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had originally sent the ps1 out to get the power supply replaced. Its a model 9xxx which apparently has the best laser of all the early models so i figured why not have it modded while im at it. Bad idea i guess. And like i said before disabling the mod chip renders ANY disc unreadable. Sounds like a bad mod for sure. Anyone here got a chip that fixes these issues that they can install cheap? I think i payed osg about 100 bucks for the repairs mods and new smoke black case..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    i had originally sent the ps1 out to get the power supply replaced. Its a model 9xxx which apparently has the best laser of all the early models so i figured why not have it modded while im at it. Bad idea i guess. And like i said before disabling the mod chip renders ANY disc unreadable. Sounds like a bad mod for sure. Anyone here got a chip that fixes these issues that they can install cheap? I think i payed osg about 100 bucks for the repairs mods and new smoke black case..
    Is OSG a person ... or some type of game store/service?

I could be wrong ... but won't action-replay devices prevent multi disc game play as well?

In order to get those things to work you have to trick out the door spring, and once you're at the point where you need to switch to disc 2 ... you'll need to open the disc door - and the system will attempt to authenticate disc 2, won't it?

As far as your problem goes - perhaps PS1 mod chip functionality changed over the years ... but I had dealt with them from the very first iterations all the way up to the "stealth" variety that would work with the anti-mod-chip discs, and as I said, I've never EVER encountered any that wouldn't work on multi-disc games.

If you payed that much money and the paid-for service doesn't work as expected ... if it's a "store" and not just a person doing a mod, I'd hope they'd at the very least fix the thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Is OSG a person ... or some type of game store/service?
    OSG or Old School Gamer is a company run by our very own Technical and Restoration Society moderator omnedon. He has always stood behind his work from everything I've seen so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's more to this than meets the eye. Either way, contacting him directly would be your best course of action. A public callout is not, however. Also if you were to PM him or post this in Technical I'm sure you'd get a response.

However saying "I commissioned a mod from you two years ago and I'm just now finally using it, noticing problems and letting you know" would throw up all kinds of red flags, to me anyway.

*waits for a certain forum member not yet mentioned in this thread to show up and bash my mods and character yet again*
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-15-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    OSG or Old School Gamer is a company run by our very own Technical and Restoration Society moderator omnedon. He has always stood behind his work from everything I've seen so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's more to this than meets the eye. Either way, contacting him directly would be your best course of action. A public callout is not, however. Also if you were to PM him or post this in Technical I'm sure you'd get a response.

However saying "I commissioned a mod from you two years ago and I'm just now finally using it, noticing problems and letting you know" would throw up all kinds of red flags, to me anyway.

*waits for a certain forum member not yet mentioned in this thread to show up and bash my mods and character yet again*
    Well, there you go.

Nothing works better than direct communication.

*EDIT* Holy crap, I JUST noticed that this was from a two-year-old job.

Dude, this could be any number of hardware related things, as any classic gamer/collector will tell you - especially when dealing with a system as "delicate" as the original Playstations - just sitting in storage for x amount of time can cause a crap-shoot as to whether or not it's going to function as expected.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-15-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

get a green dev system.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm looking to get my Saturn modded so I went to visit Old School Gamer's website just now from the link in omnedon's sig, and Firefox blocked it as a suspected attack website. Google reports it as having malicious software on some of its pages, or something. I doubt this is accurate, just wanted to see what the deal was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I heard his site was hacked and he is in process of setting up elsewhere....
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I could be wrong ... but won't action-replay devices prevent multi disc game play as well?
    Theres a way to do it, similiar to a swap trick. I don't have my directions in front of me but they are online somewhere.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again thank you for your responses. Like i had said initially. I brought up these issues with omnedon as soon as a couple weeks after the mod was done. I did not wait 2 years. Its just that id thought ask here for any ideas on what do. this is not a public callout as i have already consulted osg on the matter and he didnt offer me any solutions other than to just deal with it myself.