Thread: Virtual Boy finds new life in United Arab Emirates.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Virtual Boy finds new life in United Arab Emirates.

Apparently, some people cleaning out a warehouse in Dubai found a shipment of 100 Virtual Boys and games last month and it is causing a surge of interest in purchases of Virtual Boys.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...S&profile=1119

I wonder how 100 sealed Virtual Boys and games ended up in a warehouse in the UAE. My guess is either shipments on the way to America that were canceled or lost..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New VB stuff is still readily available -- I think there are some warehouses in Japan that have stock, because for most of the common games it's quite easy to get them new. New stock systems pop up now and then, too.

I always wonder how many systems are there still hidden in some warehouse somewhere? Actually, I am hoping someone digs up a pile of NIB Virtual Bowling, if only to drive the price down to something reasonable.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Apparently, some people cleaning out a warehouse in Dubai found a shipment of 100 Virtual Boys and games last month and it is causing a surge of interest in purchases of Virtual Boys.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...S&profile=1119

I wonder how 100 sealed Virtual Boys and games ended up in a warehouse in the UAE. My guess is either shipments on the way to America that were canceled or lost..
    Not even close. Are you aware that the UAE is one of the largest per capita markets for English language video games in the world? People are always finding large stocks of Neo Geo and other obscure /expensive system carts there. I've only been to Dubai once, but from what I saw and purchased, it probably rivals Tokyo as far as the amount and quality of rare stuff you can find and it's better in some ways because all the games are the US versions typically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not even close. Are you aware that the UAE is one of the largest per capita markets for English language video games in the world? People are always finding large stocks of Neo Geo and other obscure /expensive system carts there. I've only been to Dubai once, but from what I saw and purchased, it probably rivals Tokyo as far as the amount and quality of rare stuff you can find and it's better in some ways because all the games are the US versions typically.
    Yeah, imports that went no where was my second guess.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shadow460's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've purchased a few games in dubai. On closer inspection, I realize the games I got were high quality copies. Though there's no way to copy a system easily, games are another matter. I don't think Dubai is a gold mine of rare games at all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm just sad about how anti-Virtual Boy the article is. "Ill-conceived"? Poor Gunpei is rolling in his grave. It may have been poorly executed due to the technological limitations of the time, but the concept and design itself was brilliant and ahead of its time. And the writer of the article himself admits that the health problems people encountered were because of excessive use, which means the blame can only rest on the user. While really sensitive people might have problems regardless, if you follow the directions and play for only 30 minutes or an hour at a time, the vast majority of players should have no issues. And sore necks? Then you just don't have it placed well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 100 New Virtual Boys found in Abu-dhabi

#vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122020

Although I must admit, I got a chuckle out of this thread.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Damn Nermal... can't stop giving Garfield grief...and being so damn cute...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

He's the world's cutest kitten, you know.

The Virtual Boy probably would have cost at least $100 to add blue and green, thus creating a full color palate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Me says "meh" and continues fixing VB LED arrays.

I'm happy for those in the game collector community of Dubai who were able to get a hold of one before the prices start to spiral upward at some insane "collectible" rate. Doesn't seem like one hundred units could be dispersed too far before that started to happen.

Locally VB's aren't too tricky to locate. I think I see three or four a year pass through two different local shops. Sometimes boxed, sometimes needing repair. I've got four of them now myself with two in good working order and two I can fix if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997
    ...the UAE is one of the largest per capita markets for English language video games in the world? People are always finding large stocks of Neo Geo and other obscure /expensive system carts there. I've only been to Dubai once, but from what I saw and purchased, it probably rivals Tokyo as far as the amount and quality of rare stuff you can find and it's better in some ways because all the games are the US versions typically
    I'll take your word for it, but I still find this somewhat surprising because the impression I've always had with places like Dubai - based on what we see in the media - is that the Haves of the area are all about what's new and shiny. Doesn't seem like a place where there's a lot of room for "nostalgia" as such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    I'm happy for those in the game collector community of Dubai who were able to get a hold of one before the prices start to spiral upward at some insane "collectible" rate. Doesn't seem like one hundred units could be dispersed too far before that started to happen.

Locally VB's aren't too tricky to locate. I think I see three or four a year pass through two different local shops. Sometimes boxed, sometimes needing repair. I've got four of them now myself with two in good working order and two I can fix if I need to.

I'll take your word for it, but I still find this somewhat surprising because the impression I've always had with places like Dubai - based on what we see in the media - is that the Haves of the area are all about what's new and shiny. Doesn't seem like a place where there's a lot of room for "nostalgia" as such.
    Well, like in the United States, there are a few places where you can get classic games.

But newer games are much more available there, and thus more popular.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    He's the world's cutest kitten, you know.

The Virtual Boy probably would have cost at least $100 to add blue and green, thus creating a full color palate.
    I wish they would've included blue & green, no matter what the cost... that was the original design, and it should've been that or nothing... unless they used red & blue and made all the games 3D... that would've been cool too!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!