Thread: Name This Arcade Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Name This Arcade Game

Easy, I know there was a home version and frankly, I sorta want to play the game.

The light game gun where there was a foot pedal so you can hide and pop out. What game is it, and does the home version have a pedal or is it something dumb with a controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

The only game I can think of to fit the bill is Time Crisis and its respective sequels. The first game's home version was released for the PS1, and the Guncon has buttons up at the front of the muzzle that you can hold down to mimic the pedal action. It works a lot better in practice than it sounds, and it's one of my favorite light gun games of all time.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    The only game I can think of to fit the bill is Time Crisis and its respective sequels. The first game's home version was released for the PS1, and the Guncon has buttons up at the front of the muzzle that you can hold down to mimic the pedal action. It works a lot better in practice than it sounds, and it's one of my favorite light gun games of all time.
    Hmm, yeah, I knew there couldn't be that many light gun games with pedals. Yeah, it will be like you are behind a rock, and then you would hit the pedal, spring up, and shoot dudes. Once you let off of the pedal, you would go into hiding again and would reload.

hmm, if the pedal is on the gun, is it in some awkward place to hit, or somewhere where you can play the game with 1 hand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    hmm, if the pedal is on the gun, is it in some awkward place to hit, or somewhere where you can play the game with 1 hand?
    I haven't played it in a while, but I don't think the pedal action is meant for one hand. The GunCon's barrel is somewhat lengthy and the button's located closer to the far end.

Also, does this video bring back any memories? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyk2...eature=related
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    I haven't played it in a while, but I don't think the pedal action is meant for one hand. The GunCon's barrel is somewhat lengthy and the button's located closer to the far end.

Also, does this video bring back any memories? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyk2...eature=related
    Hmm, I will reply later, since I am at work and they block youtube (yeah for DP not getting blocked!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are guns out there that come with a pedal to handle just this, but it's easy enough to play with one hand. I just use my thumb on the down of the d-pad on the back of a Guncon.

You can also link 2 PS2s to play this on 2 screens (Time Crisis 2 and 3).
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nuby made a light gun pedal accessory. It lets you use the pedal to duck in the Time Crisis games, and it converts standard PS1 light guns to work as Guncon compatible guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also don't forget that since steering wheels are controllers, you can plug in a steering wheel with the gas / brake pedal and use that as a pedal while using the light gun.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Also don't forget that since steering wheels are controllers, you can plug in a steering wheel with the gas / brake pedal and use that as a pedal while using the light gun.
    Has any of the Time Crisis arcade games been emulated correctly yet? I was thinking about doing this on my mame cab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by IronBuddha View Post
    Has any of the Time Crisis arcade games been emulated correctly yet? I was thinking about doing this on my mame cab.
    I think TC1 is the only one that actually works in MAME, but since it's a polygonal game, you need a pretty hefty machine to run it.

I Think TC2 is supported, but still 'not working'.

And throwing my 2 cents in - the setup for PS3's GunCon 4 sucks ass, and ruins Time Crisis 4. The sensors usually fall or move, and mess up your aiming. And the sensor in the gun is extremely sensitive to light.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 09-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I think TC1 is the only one that actually works in MAME, but since it's a polygonal game, you need a pretty hefty machine to run it.

I Think TC2 is supported, but still 'not working'.

And throwing my 2 cents in - the setup for PS3's GunCon 4 sucks ass, and ruins Time Crisis 4. The sensors usually fall or move, and mess up your aiming. And the sensor in the gun is extremely sensitive to light.

Under the same token, what is a really good port?

Obviously it looks like the ps3 has potential, but because of the light gun stuff, it sux booty holes, which means no ps3 (plus I don't own a ps3).

What about ps2 and ps1, what is a good port that is super close to the arcade equivalent (I could care less about graphics, I am about gameplay).

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Since you're talking 2 handed guns, you're thinking not of Time Crisis, but of Crisis Zone, or the much much more recent Ghost Squad.

Time Crisis has a button on the gun that acts as the 'C' button that does the whole duck/pop motion. It works just fine.

All of the TC games have been very very accurate Arcade ports, because Namco has done them.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I am just too lazy to go to the arcade just to check the name. They had 1 of the newer ones in there, but the name escaped me, I just know that it was a sweet light gun game with a pedal.

If it is TC, then I will watch a gameplay video or something to make sure and then do a suggestion that somebody had and use a steering wheel pedal for the pedal.

I want the arcade experience and not the ps3 experience (I am going to hook this to the same tv that I have pump it up exceed hooked up and and I am going to hook my supergun up to).