Thread: Zune software 3.0 brings FREE games - UPDATE: now 3.1, more games (now with pics)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zune software 3.0 brings FREE games - UPDATE: now 3.1, more games (now with pics)

Last night I downloaded the new Zune software - I thought it was just a regular update, but it makes huge changes.

1. Firstly, and most importantly for this forum, there is now a games shortcut from the main menu. It installs two games for free, Hexic and Texas Hold 'Em. Hexic is a great version and works really well with the touchpad. You can play the game and have your audio playing as the music. I don't see a games tab on the zune marketplace yet, but I hope that's coming.

2. Secondly, full audiobook support. Finally. This took too long.

3. Thirdly, you can purchase tunes from the zune marketplace directly from your zune device via wireless. I couldn't see myself actually doing this, but it's a neat option and a great way to take advantage of the wireless connection. This would be great if you had a zune pass.

4. Fourth, when listening to FM radio, if you hear something you like, you can mark it for download later. When you get back to your PC, it will analyze the radio song, determine what the song was and take you to the download area in zune marketplace. This is a good idea and a great way to take advantage of the Zune's functionality. Again, this would be a great idea if you had a zune pass.

5. Fifthly, it has somehow improved the "social" functionality. I have no idea how, nor do I really care about this. I just checked the comments to the kotaku story on this update and someone posted the changes to the social aspect: "...Oh forgot to mention the Zune Software update as well, it has intergrated Messanger and you can even chat with your XBL friends right from the Zune software." That's actually kind of neat.

So, it's really a HUGE update that really increases the capacities of the device and finally allows the zune to play games

edit: kotaku now has a story about the update, but the update was actually available last night.

I also forgot to add, you now have the option of displaying a clock in the top right corner of the main menu screen. I know this sounds minor, but I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-02-2008 at 08:18 PM.