Thread: Zune software 3.0 brings FREE games - UPDATE: now 3.1, more games (now with pics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zune software 3.0 brings FREE games - UPDATE: now 3.1, more games (now with pics)

Last night I downloaded the new Zune software - I thought it was just a regular update, but it makes huge changes.

1. Firstly, and most importantly for this forum, there is now a games shortcut from the main menu. It installs two games for free, Hexic and Texas Hold 'Em. Hexic is a great version and works really well with the touchpad. You can play the game and have your audio playing as the music. I don't see a games tab on the zune marketplace yet, but I hope that's coming.

2. Secondly, full audiobook support. Finally. This took too long.

3. Thirdly, you can purchase tunes from the zune marketplace directly from your zune device via wireless. I couldn't see myself actually doing this, but it's a neat option and a great way to take advantage of the wireless connection. This would be great if you had a zune pass.

4. Fourth, when listening to FM radio, if you hear something you like, you can mark it for download later. When you get back to your PC, it will analyze the radio song, determine what the song was and take you to the download area in zune marketplace. This is a good idea and a great way to take advantage of the Zune's functionality. Again, this would be a great idea if you had a zune pass.

5. Fifthly, it has somehow improved the "social" functionality. I have no idea how, nor do I really care about this. I just checked the comments to the kotaku story on this update and someone posted the changes to the social aspect: "...Oh forgot to mention the Zune Software update as well, it has intergrated Messanger and you can even chat with your XBL friends right from the Zune software." That's actually kind of neat.

So, it's really a HUGE update that really increases the capacities of the device and finally allows the zune to play games

edit: kotaku now has a story about the update, but the update was actually available last night.

I also forgot to add, you now have the option of displaying a clock in the top right corner of the main menu screen. I know this sounds minor, but I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-02-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Thanks for that heads up. I can see myself using that FM radio function quite a lot. I don't use my Zune very often, but I do really like it.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

oh man what a let down i thought the title of this thread said Hexen. I couldnt see it playing too well but i guess its possible seeing as how my friend has doom on his ipod (once again barely playable with the poor control)
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it have AM radio capabilities? Do any MP3 players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Does it have AM radio capabilities?
    No, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Do any MP3 players?
    No, I don't think so. I was thinking about that a few weeks ago. My company has some offices in pretty remote locations, and I wanted to listen to CBC Radio at work. Unfortunately, CBC is on the AM band in that area, so I was SOL.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the hexic on my 1st generation Zune, it plays pretty well, the screen is nice and sharp for it, although the control pad on the 1st generation Zunes are not the best. I don't see anything other than casual games working to well on it, but it's still a nice little extra.
    Last edited by Mr Mort; 09-17-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the fact that you actually have control of the sync now. I can actually delete stuff from the collection and comp without it being deleted off my zune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0nsfyre View Post
    I like the fact that you actually have control of the sync now. I can actually delete stuff from the collection and comp without it being deleted off my zune.
    Really? How do I do that? That'd clear up a BUNCH of space from my laptop.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

c0ldb33r,
    in the software under Settings go to device> sync options. On the right of the old "smart sync" you should now see"manual sync" (I will add and remove music, videos, and pictures individually)
    check that box click OK and you should be good to go.

I ran a few test runs I deleted one of those "unknown" hidden tracks on one of my albums in my collection. first I just deleted it from the collection but kept the file. I connected my zune and synced and it did indeed stay on my zune but was not shown in my collection. On one of my first runs though I had my zune connected at the time and it was deleted off my zune. I honestly do not know if I had the manual sync saved as my settings though at that point. I did a second test and deleted something off completly (from the collection and comp) plugged in my zune and synced. I unplugged and checked. Still in the zune!

so do a test run or 2 of things you know you can get back just to check. FINALLY though I can erase stuff from the comp and keep it loaded in my Zune.

Hope that helps you out as well, man.

Saves me plenty of space as well considering I have an 80gb HD on my comp and I have the 80gb zune. so now I can load it up
    Last edited by Drag0nsfyre; 09-18-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That FM function and the audiobook support are pretty much enough to get me to buy a Zune. Started looking at them at the store today and I'm not totally sold on it, but I'm seriously kicking the idea around.

Shame the military Halo 3 Zune isn't in stock anymore. Knew I should have picked it up when I could have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MS has released the new 3.1 software. I have no idea what the bugfixes/improvements are, except that they've added three new games:

1) Space Battle - this is a sloppy and hard-to-control mess.

2) Checkers - really? checkers? wth? this is not how to showcase your hardware. it's actually pretty fun, but I like checkers.

3) Soduko - I'm surprised how easy this is to control, how clear the graphics are, and how well the whole thing just works.

So, Soduko is great, Checkers is ... checkers, and Space Battle is pretty bad.

All in all though, for free I'm pretty content.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 11-28-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

The day after the update came out I lost my damn zune

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've taken some pics of the new Zune games. Sorry for the crappy image quality, but I got these "screen caps" by simply taking a picture of my Zune with the flash off.

Here's the games menu showing my games currently installed. I haven't figured out how to install the XNA ones. I actually just wanted to show off my zune background

Checkers - This is my favourite zune game. It's ridiculous I know. The game is actually too easy. I beat the computer every time without fail. I beat it really bad, like playing a child. It includes a mode called Suicide, which I thought was like a hard mode, but instead you try to be the first to run out of pieces. It's kind of dumb. The main game is a fun distraction.

Sudoku - This is a great version of Sudoku. It's not in the pics, but its really easy to put notes in the squares. You just press play/pause instead of the touchpad button.

Space Battle - I haven't really played this, but it seems to be pretty in depth. It's a vertical shooter that allows you to unlock additional ship pieces and customize/upgrade your ship. I find it hard to control, but if you keep with it you could get used to it.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-03-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I'm at it, I may as well add pics of the original two games that came with the Zune 3.0 software:

Texas Hold Em - It's Texas Hold Em. meh. It plays okay, so if you're into Texas Hold Em, it'd be good for you.

Hexic - this game plays so well, I can't tell if the Zune was made for Hexic or if Hexic was made for the Zune. Either way, this game is easily as good as something you'd find on a handheld gaming console. This plays just as well as the 360 version and looks just as nice too.

Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-02-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Velma from Scooby-Doo? I always imagined her to be a bit more... hairy down there. Y'know, since she's a bit of a hippy chick. She must be waxing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zune pass + Zune = Awesome!

I wiped my hard drive to delete all the crappy music i had on the poor thing right after the update and I accidently the whole games. I'm not sure how to get them back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Zune pass + Zune = Awesome!
    Yeah that's what I hear. I wouldn't know, we can't get it here in Canada yet. We can't even get access to the Marketplace without changing the region of our windows installation to USA (I did this, only because it makes it really easy to search for podcasts), but I still can't buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    ...and I accidently the whole games. I'm not sure how to get them back.
    It's in the Zune software. I'm at work and can't 100% remember how to get there, but I seem to remember it being in the settings tab. There's a button to install the games.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If Velma Dinkley is your thing, why not make a wallpaper of the lovely Linda Cardellini portraying her in the flesh?

Hottest Velma ever.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If Velma Dinkley is your thing, why not make a wallpaper of the lovely Linda Cardellini portraying her in the flesh?

Hottest Velma ever.
    Nahhh... I really just have her as my background for humour's sake. It's Rule 34 of Velma - how funny is that?

edit: I've received a couple of PMs about the Velma background. If anyone else wants a copy send me a PM and it's yours. It's 240x320 and will therefore work on any device that supports those dimensions.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-03-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post

It's in the Zune software. I'm at work and can't 100% remember how to get there, but I seem to remember it being in the settings tab. There's a button to install the games.
    Apparently this involves reflashing the firmware... Not that it's a big deal, it doesn't do anything to your music... just seams weird. Makes me think it'll be hard to get xna games on there.