Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Dead motherboard?

I was given a Dell Dimension 4600 to repair. Seems that it won't turn on. Simple enough, right? I thought wrong...

First impression...it wasn't the PSU. Checked in case it was either bad PSU or wrong switch (220V instead of 110V) and nothing. New PSU gave same ordeal.

A short? Removed all components and tried to turn it on...same thing.

The button on the case is bad? Tried that...does not work.

RAM? Can't be memory because the machine would have turned on anyway, or at least blink. It doesn't even do that (as though there is absolutely no power flowing through it).

CPU? Perhaps, and that is what I will test out next. Need to find another CPU, though I need to verify if the motherboard can handle a Socket 478 533Mhz or lower CPU. The one it had was 800Mhz, and I don't have one to test it with. Alas, it may be compatible, but I will find the corresponding documentation, just in case.

What can it be? I was told that the day the customer found it was was "not turning on" was the day it was being used while a HUGE thunderstorm was in effect. Then it "turned off" by itself and the customer did not check it until the next day.

My bet is on the motherboard itself. I can change the motherboard with a compatible 478 one, but is it worth it? I will need to change the case as well. With the amount to be spent, I rather tell the customer to spend a little more and buy a new motherboard with CPU, RAM, and case. Probably $50 or so, but much better IMO.

Suggestions?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI: If the Dell is old, don't use a normal ATX power supply on it. It's not ATX! It uses the connector as such, but the pinout is different, and using an ATX supply on it will fry the mainboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    FYI: If the Dell is old, don't use a normal ATX power supply on it. It's not ATX! It uses the connector as such, but the pinout is different, and using an ATX supply on it will fry the mainboard.
    Don't worry, I knew about this.

It's a standard PSU. No worries.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah there is a good chance it is the systemboard. If you replaced the power and checked all the devices connectors with a comperable one and it still wouldn't turn on I would order a replacement board. Are you able to check the warranty status with dell? If not shoot me the service tag and I will check the status.

The funny thing is The last 3 people that asked me to fix their dell the dell was still was under warranty and they didn't know. Could be the pushing of the care packs.
    neo geo system

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We've had a ton of Dells from 4-5 years ago that ended up stone dead. Something about that period and the bad/swollen caps. They all have dead motherboards, stacks of them. Dell used to replace them when you said "bad caps" but they haven't done that since the start of the year.

Strip it of parts and trash it. Or get a replacement motherboard off eBay for $75 or so- but it will likely not have a long life then either.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I was given a Dell Dimension 4600 to repair. Seems that it won't turn on. Simple enough, right? I thought wrong...

First impression...it wasn't the PSU. Checked in case it was either bad PSU or wrong switch (220V instead of 110V) and nothing. New PSU gave same ordeal.

A short? Removed all components and tried to turn it on...same thing.

The button on the case is bad? Tried that...does not work.

RAM? Can't be memory because the machine would have turned on anyway, or at least blink. It doesn't even do that (as though there is absolutely no power flowing through it).

CPU? Perhaps, and that is what I will test out next. Need to find another CPU, though I need to verify if the motherboard can handle a Socket 478 533Mhz or lower CPU. The one it had was 800Mhz, and I don't have one to test it with. Alas, it may be compatible, but I will find the corresponding documentation, just in case.

What can it be? I was told that the day the customer found it was was "not turning on" was the day it was being used while a HUGE thunderstorm was in effect. Then it "turned off" by itself and the customer did not check it until the next day.

My bet is on the motherboard itself. I can change the motherboard with a compatible 478 one, but is it worth it? I will need to change the case as well. With the amount to be spent, I rather tell the customer to spend a little more and buy a new motherboard with CPU, RAM, and case. Probably $50 or so, but much better IMO.

Suggestions?
    CPU can't be a 478, if its 800mhz its gotta be a P3 socket 370.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    CPU can't be a 478, if its 800mhz its gotta be a P3 socket 370.
    By 800Mhz I am implying FSB. If I am not mistaken, this is Prescott.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    We've had a ton of Dells from 4-5 years ago that ended up stone dead. Something about that period and the bad/swollen caps. They all have dead motherboards, stacks of them. Dell used to replace them when you said "bad caps" but they haven't done that since the start of the year.

Strip it of parts and trash it. Or get a replacement motherboard off eBay for $75 or so- but it will likely not have a long life then either.
    Thought that too. I can go to my local distributor and get a Biostar motherboard, but it's $65 and I need to get a new ATX case. Don't have the time or patience to mod the Dell case for another motherboard. Cheapest good case I can find is $35 Codegen (one of those Super Power ones). For a little more, I can get a new CPU and double RAM.

The customer may give me the computer if it's not fixable. At least the other components should work.

Also, I thought about the CPU, and it can't be...even with a bad or wrong CPU, it should still boot up (lights) and do nothing else.

So yeah, my guess is definitely systemboard. Oh well....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would be correct. That machine takes a Pentium 4...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ohhh, my bad. thought you meant the CPU was 800mhz lol
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

News: I forgot to mention that when I connet the powr cable to the PSU and connect the power to the outlet (I am not turning on the machine yet), there is a light on the motherboard itself that turns on. It's a greenish light. So I know power is being supplied internally, at least to some areas.

However, it just does not power on, no matter what I do. No case light flickers or anything.

I'll consider this a dead motherboard. It's probably a resitor, cap, or something simple, but I am in no mood to start fiddling with a multimeter. Besides, it's more trouble than it's worth for the customer (and more expensive for him too).

Maybe I will hit it with a hammer to see what happens...watch it work again afterwards.