Thread: Amiga question [online purchase]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Amiga question [online purchase]

This concerns a recent purchase from softhut.com. I bought from them once before, and although the site seemed kind of weird, I didn't have any problems. Recently, I purchased a "refurbished 1084S monitor", which was advertised on the front page of their site as having several available. I received the package the other day, but it contains a 1080 monitor, rather than a 1084S. This is very irritating. I wouldn't necessarily have purchased a 1080 at that price. But, I don't really want to have to send this huge/heavy package back to them.

What's my best course of action here? I've never had to deal with a problem like this before.
    Last edited by j_factor; 09-25-2008 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Agressivadue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call them and tell them what happened, and they should send you shipping labels free of charge, if that's what you're worried about.

Make sure you write down the name and any sort of ID number the person you talk to has, and when you talked to them. If one person can't help you, keep asking until you get someone who can. If they say they don't have the item you wanted, then ask for the labels and a full refund, and again make sure you get some ID off the person who's helping you. Say something like "I just want to keep track of this, in case I run into any problems, let me write this down." when you're getting that ID info. That lets them know you ARE keeping track of the details, and makes it less likely they'll be able to or try to BS you.

At any rate, don't settle with what they sent you, or let them charge you ANYTHING until you get what you wanted. If you used a credit card or debit, call the company/bank and tell them what happened if you can't work it out with Softhut.

Don't fear the worst until it is the worst. They probably just screwed up your order, and you'll get it fixed easy.
    Life is great; Without it, you'd be dead.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Agressivadue View Post
    Call them and tell them what happened, and they should send you shipping labels free of charge, if that's what you're worried about.

Make sure you write down the name and any sort of ID number the person you talk to has, and when you talked to them. If one person can't help you, keep asking until you get someone who can. If they say they don't have the item you wanted, then ask for the labels and a full refund, and again make sure you get some ID off the person who's helping you. Say something like "I just want to keep track of this, in case I run into any problems, let me write this down." when you're getting that ID info. That lets them know you ARE keeping track of the details, and makes it less likely they'll be able to or try to BS you.

At any rate, don't settle with what they sent you, or let them charge you ANYTHING until you get what you wanted. If you used a credit card or debit, call the company/bank and tell them what happened if you can't work it out with Softhut.

Don't fear the worst until it is the worst. They probably just screwed up your order, and you'll get it fixed easy.
    QFT.

This is probably just a shipping error. A quick call and fax of your receipt will sort it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they refuse to send you prepaid shipping labels, then pay for them yourself. However, instead of the monitor, pack yourself inside of the box and then go Ninja on their asses when you arrive in their returns department.

You're welcome.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    What's my best course of action here?
    Have you tried to contact them yet? If not........

Also, wouldn't a thread like this be better suited on one of the Marketplace forums?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    If they refuse to send you prepaid shipping labels, then pay for them yourself. However, instead of the monitor, pack yourself inside of the box and then go Ninja on their asses when you arrive in their returns department.

You're welcome.
    ill second this course of action. be sure to read the lyrics to the velvet underground song the gift for a list of possible problems with this idea.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did contact them, and this is the response I got: "We use them interchageably as they are all the same monitor. The only thing that they do not have is stereo speakers. If you wanted this feature I can send you separate power speakers you can hook into your Amiga."

Is that even accurate? I call the Commodore experts to the stand. I also think it's weak that they specified "1084S" even if that's the case. They should have said "various Commodore RGB monitors" or something along those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

To be honest, I'm surprised you even got a response from them. I used to deal with softhut all the time but lately, most emails go unanswered or take a very long time for a response (5 months or so). Their inventory is a complete joke - I no longer take for face value on their site if they have something in stock. I email them first.

The 1084S is supposed to be stereo (hence the 'S').

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I too have had terrible service from Softhut lately. I sent two e-mails inquiring about stock months ago and just recently got a reply which said they had none of what I wanted. The 1080 is technically identical to the 1084s with the exception of the audio, but the 1080 is several years older than the 1084s, so not only are you missing out on the audio you wanted, but chances are this monitor will die sooner than what you had hoped for. I would just demand a refund and if they want it back, they can pay to have it shipped back. It's not what you ordered and this is just blatant inappropriate conduct on their part.