Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is the PS3's Blu Ray player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How is the PS3's Blu Ray player?

I'm getting an HDTV soon, I hope. I was wondering how the Blu Ray player in the PS3 stacks up in terms of features, image clarity and ease of use. If it's adequate I might just go ahead and get a PS3 instead of a standalone unit.

Oh, and do you guys know where one could get a new 60 GB PS3? Or even a used one from a reputable dealer. I want the backward compatibility and built-in Wi Fi if possible.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

As the first Blu-ray players rolled out, the best they could do was equal the PS3 for image quality, etc. Most weren't as good, and they all cost ~twice as much. Prices have come down on the players, but I still have only read of really expensive ones being better than the PS3. If you are a gamer at all and you are getting a Blu-ray player, there is really nothing to consider as the PS3 is by far your best choice. Hell, I still don't think it makes sense to buy anything else even if all you want is to play Blu-rays. Even a total non-gamer might find uses for it like streaming video, downloading movies to watch, or even just watching movie previews. One last benefit is that any Blu-ray firmware updates can be done easier w/ the PS3. Okay, end of commercial.

I love mine. I play games on it some, but it gets used a movie player more often.

I'd say your best bet for getting a 60GB model is to watch your Craigslist if you have an active one. I'm surprised how often they are for sale around here, though people tend to know what they are worth. I've seen some (and bought a couple of them) for good prices with nice extras. Finding a new one will be all but impossible at this point unless you go to eBay and pay a premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

According to the AVSforums, it's still one of the (if not THE) best Blu-Ray player on the market.

Supposedly, Pioneer has one coming out that's supposed to be slightly better, but will run about $1200.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, guys. That definitely sounds like the way to go. Hey, I have a cabinet full of PSX and PS2 games I want to eventually get around to. If by some chance I manage to snag a 60gb PS3, how could I expect them to look on an HDTV?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Speculation is that standalone players will be under $200 for Black Friday, possiblt $149 in an attempt to put one in every home...

Also you should be aware that the PS3 can deliver an sudio experience with the newest HD audio formats. The HDTV is not enough any more you need a decent receiver and at least 5.1 surround...the audio can be as amazing as the image...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It's certainly the only Blu-Ray player that you can play Warhawk on.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Thanks, guys. That definitely sounds like the way to go. Hey, I have a cabinet full of PSX and PS2 games I want to eventually get around to. If by some chance I manage to snag a 60gb PS3, how could I expect them to look on an HDTV?
    it upscales them supposedly, dunno bout that but they play just fine. Gotta realize though since ur tv is probably much bigger then they were back then they're gonna be pixely (least the ps1 games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Criterion uses a PS3 as their reference bluray player, which I think says something for its quality. They also use a cheap HDMI cable, which only further drives the nail in the coffin for the argument that monster cables (and similar) are marked up to ridiculously bullshit levels.

Awesome, awesome BD player...as long as you also buy the remote. Don't even think of trying to use the SIXAXIS controller. Fire up a PS2 and watch a DVD using the PS2 controller as a remote. Observe how much of a nuisance it is. It's just like that...IN HIGH DEFINITION.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Criterion uses a PS3 as their reference bluray player, which I think says something for its quality. They also use a cheap HDMI cable, which only further drives the nail in the coffin for the argument that monster cables (and similar) are marked up to ridiculously bullshit levels.

Awesome, awesome BD player...as long as you also buy the remote. Don't even think of trying to use the SIXAXIS controller. Fire up a PS2 and watch a DVD using the PS2 controller as a remote. Observe how much of a nuisance it is. It's just like that...IN HIGH DEFINITION.
    It's really not that bad, or at least I think the buttons are laid out sensibly (shoulder buttons as chapter forward/backward and seek makes sense), but obviously it isn't a dream scenario when a remote is available. I'll probably continue to use the controller out of spite however, since my Logitech remote is IR and isn't compatible with Bluetooth. I haven't whittled down to one remote to add another.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm pretty new to HDTV on the whole, but I can say that the Blu-Ray discs are absoluely beautiful and the PS3 (I have the old 60GB) does a really good job of upscaling DVD's as well (this I can compare with my Samsung NUON DVD player).

As for the remote... well, I didn't have any issue with the PS3 controller as a remote, but I eventually got a standard-style remote and use that now. I find that the PS3 controller was actually a better remote. The PS3 buttons, which are actually pretty important, are in non-intuitive spots on the new remote.

And as Frankie said, the only Blu-Ray player that plays Warhawk. Also the only one that plays Metal Gear Solid IV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Like some others said, I have no other point of reference, but the quality looks awesome on my LCD. I primarily got it at as bluray player that I could also play games on. You can just beat the one-two knockout of high def movies and awesome looking games (and backwards compatibility). The Wifi works great, once you configure it and your router so it does not steal your laptops IP address and cause a conflict. There is some good documentation out there on how to fix that though. I am wondering though, do the new 80GB have backwards compat still? If so, why the hunt for the 60?

p.s. The sound quality on movies and games absolutely rocks if you have a nice surround sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    I'm getting an HDTV soon, I hope. I was wondering how the Blu Ray player in the PS3 stacks up in terms of features, image clarity and ease of use. If it's adequate I might just go ahead and get a PS3 instead of a standalone unit.

Oh, and do you guys know where one could get a new 60 GB PS3? Or even a used one from a reputable dealer. I want the backward compatibility and built-in Wi Fi if possible.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

It is funny to hear people talk about the remote issue. I actually bought the official PS3 remote because I had some store credit at Radio Shack and nothing else to use it on. That was at least two months ago, and it is still in the package. I've had people be impressed that I could use the controller as a remote so well, but pretty much everything just makes sense. I mean, what's the obvious way to pause the movie? On the menu, how do you select something? FF/skip someone already mentioned. Can't really think of anything else I've used, but for those at least, your hands will do them automatically without thinking if you've ever played a ps1 or ps2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    I'll probably continue to use the controller out of spite however, since my Logitech remote is IR and isn't compatible with Bluetooth.
    Can't you get a cheap and simple USB dongle that'll get your universal IR remotes working with the PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    Like some others said, I have no other point of reference, but the quality looks awesome on my LCD. I primarily got it at as bluray player that I could also play games on. You can just beat the one-two knockout of high def movies and awesome looking games (and backwards compatibility). The Wifi works great, once you configure it and your router so it does not steal your laptops IP address and cause a conflict. There is some good documentation out there on how to fix that though. I am wondering though, do the new 80GB have backwards compat still? If so, why the hunt for the 60?

p.s. The sound quality on movies and games absolutely rocks if you have a nice surround sound system.
    Is there a way to keep this from happening just with access to the PS3 and the laptop? I don't actually have access to the router because my landlord lets me leech off his Wifi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've loved my PS3 as a bluray player.... using it on my HD projector with amazing results...and probably one of the best features is the super easy firmware updates (BD Live, etc) which could be a pain on standalones...
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    It's certainly the only Blu-Ray player that you can play Warhawk on.
    It is also the only Blu-Ray player that can play Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In regards to your HDMI cable comment, I read an article in I believe it was popular mechanics (or science?) where yes they proved that quality is identical for any hdmi capable since it's just digital data so one cables 0's and 1's look the same as a more expensive cables 0's and 1's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    In regards to your HDMI cable comment, I read an article in I believe it was popular mechanics (or science?) where yes they proved that quality is identical for any hdmi capable since it's just digital data so one cables 0's and 1's look the same as a more expensive cables 0's and 1's.
    Not entirely true.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ehhh, I'm taking popular science over Blue Jeans Cable.com, but that's just me =) Interesting article though.
    Last edited by nate1749; 09-29-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    Ehhh, I'm taking popular science over Blue Jeans Cable.com, but that's just me =) Interesting article though.
    Without being able to read the article to see exactly what they said, I'm going to have to just assume that you're remembering what they said slightly incorrectly and that their intention was to tell the reader that for a majority of people, a less expensive cable isn't going to have any drawbacks compared to an expensive cable. There's still degradation in the signal, but on shorter lengths it's not usually a problem. There's always degradation, you just try to limit it as best you can and hope that it stays within tolerances.

Assuming that cable quality and lengths are never issues because "it's all 1s and 0s" would be an incorrect stance, regardless of where you read it from.