Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duke Nukem 3D is out on Xbox Live!

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Duke Nukem 3D is out on Xbox Live!

just bought it,
    it looks really good for a 12 year old doom alike and controls well.
    $10 download, game has 40 levels, online play and such.
    and when you die you can choose spot at which point you'd like to respawn(kind of casual approach I guess), but it works and you don't have to get back to your last save point every time(and it's pretty easy to die on medium difficulty).
    excellent game, just as I remembered it.

definitely worth buying ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Come get some.

He gets my dollars tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I downloaded it, I had trouble in a few select spots and I keep dying but I want to play more!
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I loved this game. Duke had the oneliners. And I am all out of gum.Ha ha
    neo geo system

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

damn it.... why does Xbox get duke nukem. I hope PS3 gets the PS1 games of Duke Nukem..
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    damn it.... why does Xbox get duke nukem.
    Because Xbox is better and people actually buy it. Go get one, duh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doomalike my ass. Duke Nukem 3D was light years ahead of Doom and, as far as gameplay is concerned at least, far ahead of even Quake. The technology was advanced enough that the designers were able to build some incredibly elaborate maps with a surprising amount of interactivity (that people still praise to this day). The security cameras, the evolving maps (oh you know you shit a brick the first time that building blew up in E1M2), the room above rooms (you know you thought that movie theater was the shit in E1M1 when you first played it), the mirrors (who doesn't remember the first time they peeked in the theater bathroom and saw the aliens behind the wall by way of the mirror?), the toilets (genius!), the trip wires (protip: laser trip wires can keep you from ever dying of fall damage), scriptable vehicles, etc.

Oh sure, it wasn't the technological marvel that Terminator: Future Shock or Ultima Underworld may have been (holy fuck!), but Terminator: Future Shock and Ultima Underworld weren't fast paced run and guns like Duke3D and Doom were.

Duke 3D was a true evolution of the Doom gameplay and I don't think that anything else really evolved it to a similar magnitude until Far Cry in 2004. Everything else between there was either a minor evolution (the other Build engine games) or just shot off into different directions as developers tried to spend more time focusing on multiplayer, detailed storylines, or increased realism.

Anyway, that rewind capability of the XBLA port is fucking awesome. Please lord, let this game succeed so that Atari, through some fucking miracle from god, decides to unearth the Blood source code and do something with it. Also, I wouldn't complain in the slightest if somehow the Sunstorm Interactive expansions that rocked (Duke Caribbean and Duke it Out in DC) were added as optional DLC. Charge the same price as the base game, I don't give a damn. Both of those were so. Damn. Good.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget to shoot the fire hydrate then hit x to drink the water to replenish your health.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Don't forget to shoot the fire hydrate then hit x to drink the water to replenish your health.
    Thank god for fire hydrants. Fire hydrants and toilets are the reason I was able to make it through the game.

...and sector warping glitches were how I was able to make it through Nuclear Winter. What a fucking buggy expansion.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    Because Xbox is better and people actually buy it. Go get one, duh!
    hell no!, you just did not say that....

I would buy an X-box but... I like free online play plus ps3 hs so many nice features... lets not start a war over this now.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would buy an X-box but... I like free online play plus ps3 hs so many nice features... lets not start a war over this now.
    Yes, but Xbox360 has Duke Nukem 3D with an instant rewind function the likes of which makes Blinx and Sands of Time look like fucking Pong. Until the PS3 gets a port of the game, it'll always be one step behind regardless of whatever else may come out.

Now if only a PC port of this game would come out....

!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

hell no!, you just did not say that....

Do what I did.... Buy 'em both.

I'll probably get killed for saying this, but I think the 360 and the PS3 actually, compliment one another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

lets not start a war over this now.
    I agree.

Anyway, I might pick this up for pure nostalgia's sake. I haven't played my copy since 1996 or so (it's long gone by now). Like I said in the previous thread, my main hesitation is the perfectly good copy of Duke Nukem I have for Saturn sitting in a box in my basement. Anyway, the 360 controller is perfect for FPS's though.

A question for those that played it already...does the game make anyone nauseous (like the XBLA version of Marathon)? Old FPS's don't have that strong a track record when played on a large (TV) screen. I'm wondering if this game suffers the same problem.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Like I said in the previous thread, my main hesitation is the perfectly good copy of Duke Nukem I have for Saturn sitting in a box in my basement.
    The Saturn and PC version had enough differences throughout the level designs to warrant playthroughs of both. For me, the main strength of the Saturn version was the true 3D from the SlaveDriver engine rather than the 2.5d Build engine. Very noticeable difference between the two, though playing JonoF's latest version (or Duke3Dw or EDuke32) with the polymost engine is even better.

Ohh, I forgot that I need to hook the Saturn back up to the ol' capture card. Gonna be a busy little gaming nerd this weekend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Man I loved this game. Duke had the oneliners. And I am all out of gum.Ha ha
    Actually you can thank John Carpenter's They Live and Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series (Army of Darkness in particular) for most of "Duke's" one-liners. But still, if you're gonna rip something off, you might as well make it something damn good in the first place, and the inspirations definitely qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Please lord, let this game succeed so that Atari, through some fucking miracle from god, decides to unearth the Blood source code and do something with it. Also, I wouldn't complain in the slightest if somehow the Sunstorm Interactive expansions that rocked (Duke Caribbean and Duke it Out in DC) were added as optional DLC. Charge the same price as the base game, I don't give a damn. Both of those were so. Damn. Good.
    I always had a shit computer in the late 90's, and therefore missed out on a lot of the great FPS games that are now mostly forgotten. I still want to play through Shadow Warrior sometime, mediocre as many consider it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I'll probably download this on the weekend and try to get through as much as I can. I loved the N64 port back in the day, but unfortuntaely couldn't ever finish it without cheats/gameshark. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    Actually you can thank John Carpenter's They Live and Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series (Army of Darkness in particular) for most of "Duke's" one-liners. But still, if you're gonna rip something off, you might as well make it something damn good in the first place, and the inspirations definitely qualify.
    Now now, very few of the one liners actually came from the Evil Dead movies, it's just that the quote from the beginning of E3M1 and the few Evil Dead/Army of Darkness quotes are what everyone remembers him saying.

Blood had more references, including bits and pieces of levels directly taken from the movies. Hell, one of the enemies in the Plasma Pak was a bunch of mini Calebs that charged at you from broken mirrors.

I always had a shit computer in the late 90's, and therefore missed out on a lot of the great FPS games that are now mostly forgotten. I still want to play through Shadow Warrior sometime, mediocre as many consider it.
    Oh lord, Shadow Warrior is absolutely not worth your time. That said, I'd be more than happy to pitch in to the cause and slide a copy your way so that you can experience the disappointment first hand. You really only need to play the shareware episode to see how poorly it came out, though. If you want to play it through DOSbox, I can help you get that configured, or if you want to play it through either JonoF's or ProAsm's ports (I'd recommend ProAsm's since it a more updated and stable version) I can help with that, too.

Blood, though. Fucking Blood. You want the One Unit Whole Blood compilation that has Blood, Plasma Pak (not super great but still good) and Cryptic Passage (on par with, and at times, better than Blood).

That I can help with as well, actually! Say the word, good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I'll probably download this on the weekend and try to get through as much as I can. I loved the N64 port back in the day, but unfortuntaely couldn't ever finish it without cheats/gameshark. :P
    I wish the N64 version didn't have forced lookspring on it. Makes it a bitch to try to play it through an emulator with a mouse and keyboard

...unless someone knows of a way to properly nullify that? I'd love you with mouth if you told me how to accomplish such a feat!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blood
    man I haven't played that game in a minute me and my friends were always playing that game online. That game also had some funny lines. I hope that alot of the old school games get rereleased. Alot of my friends like shadow warrior. I hope they release jedi knights. This is a trip down memory lane.

My xbox live wishlist.

Systemshock 3
    I'll take Blood
    Jedi knights
    A hi def half life
    Total annilalation/starcraft
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

now this is why I bought a 360, grand theft what? I remember going to comp usa with my dad after my cousin gave us our first decent computer. He bought me Duke 3D cause he thought the box art was cool looking. That game blew my 15 year old mind.

And HJ, shadow warrior was awesome, hope that one comes to xbla next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    And HJ, shadow warrior was awesome, hope that one comes to xbla next.
    Have you played Shadow Warrior's completely fucked single player at any point in time since 1997?