Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This thread is now a list/research thread for Rogue-like console games

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default This thread is now a list/research thread for Rogue-like console games

Console based Nethack/Rogue-likes!

*ducks*

for those that don't know the term "Rogue-like" here's wikipedia's wonderful article on the 'genre' as it were... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue-like

Culled from information in the "New Sega RPG" thread over in Modern Gaming, somehow as a huge Nethack Addict I missed out on the fact that there were console-based Rogue-likes. I mean technically Diablo/Diablo II are of sorts and Diablo did get on the PSX but... really.

Here's what I've heard from others so far:

Dragon Crystal (GG/SMS) - 30 floors of randomized hard-to-ID goodness and from all account some great 8-bit musics. I will be checking this out very soon.

Fatal Labyrinth (GEN) - I've always seen this kicking around the local indy shops and fleas and always passed over it. What are the thoughts on this?

Azure Dreams (psx) - You know, if it had just said "Rogue-like" on the back I would've tried this back in the day.

Mystery Dungeon series (multiple) - all containing the title "Fushigi no Dungeon" and often having characters from other series in them, including Dragon Quest, Chocobos from Final Fantasy, and Pokemon.

Izuna: The Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (DS): Certainly an interesting title, at the least.

Baroque (PS2/Wii) - Modern-age yes, but important to know they still come out, no?

So my question, after I check these three out are... well... are there others? The high-challenge aspect of Nethack keeps me coming back, as well as the random dungeons... literally never the same twice. I've also done some Adom, Rogue, and particularly SLASH'EM (sure... lets take Nethack, make it even bigger, more random, and harder - awesome!).

I'm salivating here... help a gal out!
    Last edited by AB Positive; 09-25-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: changed title for clarity
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Apparently, according to Wiki, the Mystery Dungeon series is part of it. There's the 4 Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games that came out here (1 on the GBA, 3 on the DS), but I don't know how rogue-like they really are. Of course, if you like Pokémon (and don't mind cute kiddie graphics), you might like it anyways. Weirdly enough, some early Dragon Quest spinoff (starring Toneko the merchant from DQIV) were also released in that series (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was developed by the developer of the first five DQ games).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Dungeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So... in an odd way DQ and Pokemon now have canon amongst the stories?

... are diehard DQ fanfolk jumping off bridges because of this?

Hmmm... I'll have to look it up. I actually did enjoy the red/blue and gold/silver milkware releases (dammit, I'm using that term 'till it sticks ) but... how well would that world translate to a rogue-like... hrm. I did just get a DS in a trade so... hmm.

Although the earlier DQ one will certainly get a look from me now - shall update the first post in case others want a list as well.
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Fatal Labyrinth is pretty fun. I owned it for my Genesis years ago and wouldn't mind picking up a copy again. It's you basic dungeon crawl but it can be played in single sessions. It get's difficult but the effective gameplay, nice selection of items, and random dungeon generation makes it a game to keep coming back to. I suggest that you give it a try
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Izuna: The Legend of the Unemployed Ninja might fit into what you're looking for. It and the sequel were on DS.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Wouldn't Baroque for PS2 and Wii be considered a rougelike...oh right, right, this is classic gaming, nevermind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Wouldn't Baroque for PS2 and Wii be considered a rougelike...oh right, right, this is classic gaming, nevermind.
    Hmmm, I made it here on the assumption that beyond Diablo III not that many modern-age rogue-likes would exist. Thing is I'm compiling the list so far and so if we need some sort of ruling... let's do the moderns too. I'm sure the bulk will be on the classic side anyway so the list should do well here regardless. Adding your suggestion now
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this thread taking a very different turn now... I was under the impression it was to discuss the "Mysterious Dungeon" subgenre of games?

Baroque if I'm not mistaken is a very different game, no?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Izuna is an excellent roguelike. It holds true to much of the classic play as well as adds in some "new" to keep it interesting. It's been trapped inside my DS since the day I bought it, and I purchased the second one last night (nearing the end of the 1st one). Definitely a recommended title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr View Post
    Do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this thread taking a very different turn now... I was under the impression it was to discuss the "Mysterious Dungeon" subgenre of games?

Baroque if I'm not mistaken is a very different game, no?
    Actually, it's about console games under the nethack/rogue genre.

BTW, Alli, I'm know it's not entirely the same genre, more like a cousin, but have you played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I and II? Unfortunately, the second game sells at a high price for what it is, but if you can find it for cheap, that can be a good one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahhh, i hadn't tried those... but you're right they seem more of a 'cousin' genre along with Champions of Norrath and the X-Men... um... well one of the X-Men series on modern systems. I can't remember what they were called though. Thanks for the heads up though - I think my buddy Cranes has them, I'll have to check 'em out!

I'll do some research on Baroque since it was called into question - I've not heard of the game at all other than this here thread here so... dunno. Heh.

EDIT: oooh, just looked up Baroque and Alli wants BAD... wow. I hope it's good, I'm definitely checking this out. Wikipedia has it under rogue-likes and the only difference seems to be the 'update' from grid-based turn-based style to a 3D real-time style. However definitely seems to otherwise follow the 'rogue-like' style.
    Last edited by AB Positive; 09-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

X-Men Legends I and II, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which uses the same engine). That's what you're thinking of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The advantage of Dark Alliance I/II, X-Men Legends I/II and Marvel Ultimate Alliance: multiplayer co-op option. Just don't play on a tiny TV, as I've done with X-Men Legends... :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    The advantage of Dark Alliance I/II, X-Men Legends I/II and Marvel Ultimate Alliance: multiplayer co-op option. Just don't play on a tiny TV, as I've done with X-Men Legends... :P
    I really need to get a A/V to VGA sort of adaptor or something going so I can hook all this up to my giant 37" CRT monitor. Mmmmmm big high-res gaming...

And yes - X-Men Legends was the series in question. The problem there though is that of the main aspects of rogue-likes...

1) Items that need identification to use and are random
    2) fully random dungeons/overlands/whatnot
    3) intense difficulty

The high difficulty makes Baroque even more of a want for me the more I research it... damn why do I not have money?
    -AB+

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Ahhh, i hadn't tried those... but you're right they seem more of a 'cousin' genre along with Champions of Norrath and the X-Men... um... well one of the X-Men series on modern systems. I can't remember what they were called though. Thanks for the heads up though - I think my buddy Cranes has them, I'll have to check 'em out!

I'll do some research on Baroque since it was called into question - I've not heard of the game at all other than this here thread here so... dunno. Heh.

EDIT: oooh, just looked up Baroque and Alli wants BAD... wow. I hope it's good, I'm definitely checking this out. Wikipedia has it under rogue-likes and the only difference seems to be the 'update' from grid-based turn-based style to a 3D real-time style. However definitely seems to otherwise follow the 'rogue-like' style.
    baroque is really confusing and frustrating. You die a lot and it never really clues you in on what is going on. Well it may, but I stopped playing before I was able to figure it out. Try it if you want, but I personally didn't care for it much. Read some reviews first so you can get an idea of what its about. I would check out the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1+2 before I'd go with baroque, you can get part 2 on xbox cheaper than the PS2 version.
    Last edited by mailman187666; 09-25-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Here are some more, which at a quick glance to the thread, I don't think were mentioned.

PSX
    Blaze & Blade (PAL) (Diablo)
    Darkstone (Diablo)
    DQ: Torneko: The Last Hope (mystery dungeon)

Dreamcast
    Time Stalkers (mystery dungeon)
    Record of Lodoss War (diablo)
    Silver (diablo)

PS2
    Nightmare of Druaga (mystery dungeon)
    Shining Force Exa (diablo)
    Shining Force Neo (diablo)
    Shining Tears (Diablo)
    Bards Tale (diablo)
    Champions of Norrath (diablo)
    Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (diablo)
    Arc the Lad: End of Darkness (diablo)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the Mysterious Dungeon series has already been mentioned, but there's a lot of games in the series and I'd like to call out one in particular: The Nightmare of Druaga (PS2). Like all real roguelikes, it's turn based, there's lots of stuff to find and use, and the game is brutally difficult with a severe death penalty (all items and half of your gold lost, with marked savegames to prevent reseting on death). I don't think the main levels are randomly generated, but there's a bonus dungeon that is; 100 floors with absolutely insane difficulty. I only made it up about 5 floors before I gave up.

It's not for everyone, and it got lukewarm reception from most reviewers, but it's worth trying out. These days, you should be able to find a used copy for next to nothing.

(As for PC roguelikes, I always preferred Angband to Nethack -- as much as I've already played it (hundreds of hours, easily), I can still pick it up and play for hours at a time.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Azure Dreams (psx) - You know, if it had just said "Rogue-like" on the back I would've tried this back in the day.
    This was also available on the Game Boy Color.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toejam & Earl. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    baroque is really confusing and frustrating. You die a lot and it never really clues you in on what is going on. Well it may, but I stopped playing before I was able to figure it out. Try it if you want, but I personally didn't care for it much. Read some reviews first so you can get an idea of what its about. I would check out the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1+2 before I'd go with baroque, you can get part 2 on xbox cheaper than the PS2 version.
    Thus, why it's Rogue-like. This is a pretty defining description of their difficulties... from all the reviews I've seen and gameplay video it's as close as we'll see to a real-time Nethack. I hope it's as hard or harder than Nethack (maybe not quite SLASH'EM level though, as my brain can't memorize THAT much spell/item info on the fly).

How did I forget Nightmare of Druaga?

When I'm not at work, circumventing our proxy, I'll update this list But loooooooots of good ones. Baroque, Mystery Dungeon and Dragon Crystal look to be the first ones on my list to try.
    -AB+