Thread: This thread is now a list/research thread for Rogue-like console games

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default This thread is now a list/research thread for Rogue-like console games

Console based Nethack/Rogue-likes!

*ducks*

for those that don't know the term "Rogue-like" here's wikipedia's wonderful article on the 'genre' as it were... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue-like

Culled from information in the "New Sega RPG" thread over in Modern Gaming, somehow as a huge Nethack Addict I missed out on the fact that there were console-based Rogue-likes. I mean technically Diablo/Diablo II are of sorts and Diablo did get on the PSX but... really.

Here's what I've heard from others so far:

Dragon Crystal (GG/SMS) - 30 floors of randomized hard-to-ID goodness and from all account some great 8-bit musics. I will be checking this out very soon.

Fatal Labyrinth (GEN) - I've always seen this kicking around the local indy shops and fleas and always passed over it. What are the thoughts on this?

Azure Dreams (psx) - You know, if it had just said "Rogue-like" on the back I would've tried this back in the day.

Mystery Dungeon series (multiple) - all containing the title "Fushigi no Dungeon" and often having characters from other series in them, including Dragon Quest, Chocobos from Final Fantasy, and Pokemon.

Izuna: The Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (DS): Certainly an interesting title, at the least.

Baroque (PS2/Wii) - Modern-age yes, but important to know they still come out, no?

So my question, after I check these three out are... well... are there others? The high-challenge aspect of Nethack keeps me coming back, as well as the random dungeons... literally never the same twice. I've also done some Adom, Rogue, and particularly SLASH'EM (sure... lets take Nethack, make it even bigger, more random, and harder - awesome!).

I'm salivating here... help a gal out!
    Last edited by AB Positive; 09-25-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: changed title for clarity
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.