Thread: Who else is picking up Silent Hill: Homecoming this week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who else is picking up Silent Hill: Homecoming this week?

Big fan of the series and have had this one on reserve for awhile, can't wait to finally check it out next friday when I get paid..getting 360 version..only thing that sucks is I want it tuesday but have to wait till friday to pick-up my reserve almost paid in full copy..$30 short but can wait 3 more days as all I know next friday, saturday and sunday I'm off and will be hitting both this & Lego Batman hard.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I'm waiting to read some reviews, but I am a big Silent Hill fan.
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm picking it up Tuesday, no questions asked, Silent Hill has always been one of my favorite games.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Too bad I don't have either the PS3 or 360. I love the series alot...

Well, when it drops to $20, I will pick it up anyway.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's at the top of my GameQ at Gamefly.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I'm going to let you fine folk 'take the bullet' for me on this one. I love Silent Hill quite a bit, but the PSP game was pretty wretched. We'll see what the consensus is on this one before I spend my cash.

Siren: Blood Curse was pretty incredible. We'll see if Silent Hill can up the ante even further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Whoa, it's almost out already?! The coverage of SHV's release (can I still call it SHV?) has been rather low. Is this because the series has been in a bit of a funk lately? I hear mixed opinions on SH4 and SH0, but I'm going to gambit that this one is going to get it all back on track... I hope so, at least. Having become a fan of the series as of late (but still having yet to get SH3 and all games afterward), I'm awaiting to see how this turns out.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    Whoa, it's almost out already?! The coverage of SHV's release (can I still call it SHV?) has been rather low. Is this because the series has been in a bit of a funk lately? I hear mixed opinions on SH4 and SH0, but I'm going to gambit that this one is going to get it all back on track... I hope so, at least. Having become a fan of the series as of late (but still having yet to get SH3 and all games afterward), I'm awaiting to see how this turns out.
    It's not out yet, it comes out this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    I hear mixed opinions on SH4 and SH0, but I'm going to gambit that this one is going to get it all back on track... I hope so, at least.
    The problem main problem is that Silent Hill 2 really set a standard for a lot of people (including myself) and the other games were never able to catch that special feeling that SH2 had. I really enjoyed Silent Hill 4, but I understand all the complaints people have against it and the game did feel kind of lacking in some departments.

I also enjoyed Silent Hill Origin, the torch was passed to a new team and I feel that they did deliver the best product they could for the PSP. So Silent Hill V should turn out to be a pretty good game, since they did do a good job with SH0, they should be able to do an even better since they're working with a more capable system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Won't touch this one. I'm a huge Silent Hill fan but they farmed out the dev to a 3rd party company on it from what I've heard, and I can't see that making it a good game. Plus, Origins was farmed out and it was pretty awful. I'll wait...but I'm thinking it won't be good enough to shell out for.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I was able to pick up the game today and I had a hell of a time finding it, which included a very unpleasant visit to Best Buy. Well it seems nobody (including my store) but Circuit City received the game and while I do hate going there, they sometimes come through when I least expect it. This particular store is always my last ditch effort and I had a gut feeling to check them out after I hit up Gamestop since they're in the same plaza.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours playing the game and it's actually not that bad. I had a few problems with the game at first (including literally getting stuck behind a door), but it's pretty much the same as the other games in the series.

The new combat system isn't really a big of a change as people think, Alex is just able to do things like dodge and defend himself a little better than past characters, which makes sense because he was in the Army. He is also able to dodge jump in a few different directions, but the controls seem pretty much the same as the other games.

The graphics, while very fitting for the game, were kind of a disappointment to me at first. There is a lot of grain going on in the game and it makes you think they threw a grain filter in to try and hide whatever flaws that are hidden behind it, which wouldn't surprise me if they were.

I'm not liking the new menu system tho, it's kind of clunky to me and doesn't feel like it fits the game at all. They also added a very out of place health bar, so when you get it, it pops up in the middle of the screen and can completely distract you from what's going on. Seriously what the hell were they thinking? They could have put it at the top of the screen, or simply just kept it the way it always was, pressing start to see your health really isn't that hard to do.

Overall, despite those flaws I am happy with the game so far and will continue to see it to the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

FYI: There is no "invert controls" option for controlling your character. This is a huge deal breaker to me personally. You can invert aiming, but not your character...WTF? It doesn't seem like it would've been that hard to include an option that has been standard since the N64 days.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had the money I would pick this game up on opening day. I love that story/theme. Unfortunately it got a pretty horrible review from IGN. I would like to try it out and see if their review was real or biased (yes I may be naive as far as that site is concerned).

So a little OT, I have a question for DPers: is IGN a reliable source or is it crap?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

IGN used to be tolerable, but recently they've turned to complete crap. Most of their reviews are sloppy, I've read a few that complained about one small thing and just wouldn't let it go for the entire review, completely ignoring anything outside what they disliked. So whatever credibility they've ever had left is now gone.

I wouldn't take their review for the game very seriously, the general word of mouth that I've seen is that it's pretty good and most of the reviews seem to be bi-polar about the game. I've been enjoying it so far and while it does tend to get frustrating, it does still have the Silent Hill feeling in it and is probably the hardest game in the series.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Make no mistake, folks: this game is underwhelming. It bums me out. I feared the worst when they decided that it wasn't Silent Hill V after all, but held out hope that it might turn out anyway. I wasn't even going to pick it up, but a friend of mine gave it to me for my upcoming birthday, and I've played about four hours. I don't know if I'm going to continue.

My first clue that we might have had a stinker on our hands was when I got stuck in geometry in the goddamn tutorial, in between a couch and a chair in the room with the X-ray clue. Of course I hadn't been given the opportunity to save yet, and so I had to restart and watch the opening movie again. There's no option to skip that, by the way.

My second clue was when I realized that in order to use a door, I had to be two feet to the right of the doorknob to trigger the option to mash "X" and open it; you can't bring up the prompt to open the door unless you're in the EXACTLY correct spot. Assuming that I've found that spot without sliding all over the wall first, my character then does that shady PS2-era animation glide to the doorknob, like he was on a skateboard and someone was pulling him off screen, until he hits the opening animation.

My third notion was when, to my surprise, the cut scenes were actually worse than in Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4. I'm playing it on the PS3 hooked up through HDMI to a 37" Sony Bravia with a max-resolution of 1080p. It looks terrible. Everyone has that plastic hair problem, and their mouths don't sync with their dialogue. The only character that looks remotely good is the main character Alex, and even that's spotty.

Outside of all of that, I've had framerate issues and clipping problems. I mean, what the Hell? Silent Hill used to be a serious triple A franchise. Not so anymore, huh?

At least the combat is fine. It's classic Silent Hill with a dodge button.

This game, to me, feels like fan fiction. I honestly think that Origins was a far better game, and that's not a good thing.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, because I'm not usually the kind of idiot that thinks that Japanese devs are always better than American devs, but someone needs to tell Konami to keep western developers the Hell away from the Silent Hill franchise. They've brought nothing but shame to it.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 10-03-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm loving it and feels so much like all the previous games of the series, only up to the Junkyard where you meet Curtis.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i honestly never played a Silent Hill game. however this one looks really bad, i am waiting for reviews. but i do wanna jump into the world (i loved the movie). i just want nice graphics.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I'm going to let you fine folk 'take the bullet' for me on this one. I love Silent Hill quite a bit, but the PSP game was pretty wretched. We'll see what the consensus is on this one before I spend my cash.

Siren: Blood Curse was pretty incredible. We'll see if Silent Hill can up the ante even further.
    quoted for truth.

(sorry double post)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I beat the game last night and while it was a pretty decent game, the ending(s) kind of killed it for me. Seriously, people complained about the endings for SH4, but these endings just felt kind of lackluster to me. I also played Silent Hill 2 for a bit today and noticed how much better the lighting for the flashlight was, while the lighting in this game just sucked.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used my friend as the test pilot. He brought his copy over and I played it and ended up liking it. (I like all of the others, so no big surprise). I'm having problems with the no-invert of the controls as well, but that's something that I'll deal with and overcome. The "x" at the door is easy to deal with. If you quickly doubletap "x", he smashes through the door like a 70's cop show. You don't even need to wait for or see an "x" prompt.