Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HappyConsoleGamer, an actual quality Youtube reviewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HappyConsoleGamer, an actual quality Youtube reviewer

Hey guys, I have been watching his videos for quite awhile now and figured some of you may really enjoy it, I find them very enjoyable to watch (I refered him to DP seeing as he would probably fit in well here). No useless cursing (except for outakes), nice editing, and recorded in HD this guy just has a great personality and covers retro, modern, events, etc. No I am not like best friends with him trying to get him hits (He is in Canada I am in NY) I just feel he deserves more exposure over all of the terrible AVGN wannabes out there (I believe he says he was inspired by AVGN, however his style is much different). Here are a couple of my favorite videos of his:

Mega Man special:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UqYgi0ECU

Dragon Quest IV (DS) Review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xm6Q26S1dQ

Turbo Grafx 16 overview (multiple mini reviews):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkql7fIbNc

If you wanna check out his main page check it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyConsoleGamer

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitCaged's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea this guy is good, I am subscribing thanks for the heads up.
    I also like Classic Game Room and kNIGHTWING01 you should
    check those out to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitCaged View Post
    yea this guy is good, I am subscribing thanks for the heads up.
    I also like Classic Game Room and kNIGHTWING01 you should
    check those out to.
    knightwing01 is a good reviewer,but any new video he makes is no longer on youtube.

You can watch his latest at gametrailers now.

I don't know the details but i herd some body flag him for copy right infringement.

Though that happens alot on youtube these days for no good reason
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-27-2008 at 11:32 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

He's decent. He has promise. A LOT of promise. I really hope he gets more fans, he deserves them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This guy is great and I too am now a subscriber. I love that he has a dam enormous collection as well. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig this dude as well, nice to see another who realizes you don't need to swear every other word to get your point across. Hope he keeps it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the links. just watched the DQ4 review and really really enjoying it. an intelligent gamer who knows his stuff.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A straight shooter without having to be geeky about it. Honest and lots of info, now this is the kinda reviews I wanna watch. He has a Blue Stinger review, that's just the shit right there.

Homeboy is getting added to the list for sure. Keep up the good work yo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, not bad. I watched the Turbographx and Blue Stinger reviews, enjoyed them both. It's nice that it seems like that not only does he like games...but likes playing them. From the two I watched it actually seems he has some sort of time investment to these games-- not the "oh I bought this on ebay, played for 5 mins, and now im going to write a review about how it sucks" kind of "reviews" we see alot on the tube. An actual gamer talking about games? You don't say...

Thanks for the heads up PDorr3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I like how he has a genuine enthusiasm for the games he's reviewing. It's what made magazines like Gamefan so memorable. I also enjoy how he keeps the production values modest and instead fills the runtime with actual content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    I like how he has a genuine enthusiasm for the games he's reviewing. It's what made magazines like Gamefan so memorable. I also enjoy how he keeps the production values modest and instead fills the runtime with actual content.

QFT. I pretty much watched all of his videos last night, and enjoyed all of them. I like how he actually went back to the spot where he first played his "favorite game ever" and just filmed it for posterity. I realize not all gamers would have an interest in where he first played Phantasy Star, but for me it brought back nostalgic memories of the first time I played videogames, where I was sitting, where the tv was...so on..

The only thing I wish he would add more to is gameplay footage (with voice over) for some of the more "obscure" games he is reviewing. He shows some clips or stills, but I'd prefer just a tad more. He does a lot of "box shaking" that would work perfect with a little picture in picture of whatever he is describing goin on along side his explanation of what rocks.. Of course, posting that here isn't going to change anything, so I digress.

Unrelated to the thread but I was just thumbing through an old Gamefan today.. such great layouts. It's all about love for the games/systems. I feel like doing one of these videos someday, and showcasing the 32x. Granted, it failed. Everyone knows that. I want SOMEONE to give love to it. Surely, it brought someone joy. At least it did for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Happy Console Gamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just registered here!
    Hey thanks PDorr3! for taking the time to make a thread like this and introduce me to the site.
    And to everyone who has replied I would like to also say a big thanks for the props, I do the show for fun and it is a bonus if people get a kick outta it.
    I always listen to everyones feedback as I only to want to make it better.
    Thanks guys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Unrelated to the thread but I was just thumbing through an old Gamefan today.. such great layouts. It's all about love for the games/systems. I feel like doing one of these videos someday, and showcasing the 32x. Granted, it failed. Everyone knows that. I want SOMEONE to give love to it. Surely, it brought someone joy. At least it did for me.
    Man I loved the 32x at first. I got it for Christmas the year it came out and it rocked my world, until I got to the end of DOOM and couldn't figure out why the hell it only had 15 levels.

Back on topic,

Anyway dude, welcome to the site, you should totally do a vid on Secret of Evermore cause it pwns Mana in every way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I really enjoyed the videos. My watch list is up to four now, it's nice to see honest reviews on games from someone who knows their stuff, collecting is a big plus. I too feel like more than 5 minutes is spent on a game and that really shows. I also like how I can hear the speaking with my old laptop speakers even when I have a problem hearing low voices, good audio is a big plus in my book.

Welcome to the site dude, keep the good work up.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Whoa, he has The Ninja Warriors in his first video?! That alone is awesome. I expect great things from this guy. ^_^

ADD: Whoopsie, I failed to notice HCG joined above. Welcome to the fold, man! I'll have to see your stuff when I get the time, but I see in your first video that you intend to look at...

Ys
    Shock Troopers (2nd Squad, but I assume/hope for the first as well)
    Mutation Nation (!)
    Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
    Crossed Swords
    I... can't identify the game where three people are standing with swords on black-and-white tiles, but it looks cool
    I don't know the game with the blue elephant guy and large winged creature either >_<
    The Ninja Warriors and its sequel, TNW Again (!!)
    Magician Lord
    Baseball Stars 2
    Capcom's Willow arcade game (!!!)

You're already awesome for this, and I await to see what else you have in store! And... is it okay if I ask what are those two games that I can't identify?
    Last edited by Sotenga; 09-29-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This guy is outstanding. Unlike the others I've seen (AVGN, Irate Gamer, and HVGN), this guy really knows his stuff well. Not saying they don't, but I can tell that HCG actually played the games in his youth, and was always a huge gaming fan. With the others, I sometimes feel they are just in this for the fame. There's no way in hell the others owned a Neo-Geo in 1991. I would put money on it that they never even heard of it then, let alone owned one. Not so with HCG. Back in '89 and '90, he was probably looking forward to the Konix Multi System and Super Grafx coming out, like myself.

I also love his top 10. He puts Phantasy Star 1 and Ys: Book I and II in there. I thought I was the only the only one out there that ranked them so high. The only difference I have is I put Ys at number one ever.

He also appears to be totally neutral, and not a fan boy of any particular system. I commend him for that, I wish I could be so independant. I'm looking forward to seeing him review some Golden Age classics, along with more from the NES era.

OH! That reminds me, like myself, he also says "Ness" (ryming with "Jess"), rather than spelling out N-E-S like most others. Hearing that was a pleasent surprise.

All in all, he doesn't need fancy editing, nor does he have to say something funny every 10 seconds. He's just here to review games, and that's all I ask for. Highly recommended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

His latest video is out, and it's the Neo-Geo. Great episode, this guy is great when you're looking for serious info and not a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnzHf-zpeM&sdig=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked out his DQ 4 review. Halfway through, I decided it wasn't worth wasting my time anymore and closed the video to post this.

He's got some good captures. He has some nice transitions. His voice is OK. It's not inherently irritating like many reviewers and you can make out what he says.

But he has no plan. It seemed like he just rambled on in front of his webcam about random junk and just edited bits of his long tirade together. Halfway in I still didn't know much about the remake and I didn't feel he was ever going to get around to telling me. It wasn't entertaining and it just wasn't worth watching anymore.

And he raves for what seems like an eternity about a RPG having a save feature. Gosh. Really? Who ever puts save features on those kinds of games?

He needs to work on his verbal presentation, even if he needs to follow a rigid script. At the very least, he needs a better outline for what he's doing and some work on avoiding his verbal tics. Other than that, some better lighting in his review area would be good too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I checked out his DQ 4 review. Halfway through, I decided it wasn't worth wasting my time anymore and closed the video to post this.

He's got some good captures. He has some nice transitions. His voice is OK. It's not inherently irritating like many reviewers and you can make out what he says.

But he has no plan. It seemed like he just rambled on in front of his webcam about random junk and just edited bits of his long tirade together. Halfway in I still didn't know much about the remake and I didn't feel he was ever going to get around to telling me. It wasn't entertaining and it just wasn't worth watching anymore.

And he raves for what seems like an eternity about a RPG having a save feature. Gosh. Really? Who ever puts save features on those kinds of games?

He needs to work on his verbal presentation, even if he needs to follow a rigid script. At the very least, he needs a better outline for what he's doing and some work on avoiding his verbal tics. Other than that, some better lighting in his review area would be good too.
    Ha, this is pretty much exactly what I just did. I think the dude knows his stuff and has a passion for games but I don't think that particle video was very good at all. He kind of stumbled over himself and rambled. I would also rather see more game video than him. That's not a knock on him, but it's a video about a game, so I'd prefer to see more DQIV and less man. He also reused a lot of the game footage throughout the video which bugged me a bit.

And finally, I hate it when people say "Ness". That's just me being picky though. I'll agree with Kitsune, the dude has potential.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I enjoy his videos, and I've bookmarked his page on Youtube.