Thread: How to possibly get up to 50% off Best Buy games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to possibly get up to 50% off Best Buy games

I do not know if you guys have discussed this before, but since I work at Best Buy media, try asking a Best Buy employee (one you see working in DVD, CD, MP3, or Gaming) for their gaming "at risk" report. They might give you a funny look but if they have it handy (they might let you take a look at it, but will most likely hold onto it) it's a list that includes all of our gaming software (and sometimes controllers, guides, but nothing like systems) that we can sell for up to half off the current price since we need to get rid of overstock. So an at risk $60 game would be $30. All the employee might have to do first is check with their supervisor first, or just give the cashiers a heads up to give it to you half off ahead of time. Just be aware that YMMV on this depending on which best buy you go to.

Just an example, our GTA4 special editions on PS3 sell really slow and are at risk, so we sell them for $60 (same price as regular editions). If the customer still says no (no idea why) we offer to sell them for $50. So if you see an older less popular game that has been out for awhile (especially special editions) and you see they got quite a few of em out, try asking them if it is at risk and you might just save yourself 50% off though the price sticker may say otherwise.

Let me know if any of you have any luck with this!

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Lostdwarf

as an employee of bby at risk is funny, especially when you have open licence plates that you have no idea what their for thanks to customer service =P

..."The One And Only"

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lostdwarf View Post
    as an employee of bby at risk is funny, especially when you have open licence plates that you have no idea what their for thanks to customer service =P
    in english please? or with less alcohol in your system...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Wow. Ow.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this really work?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default oh no...

YOU'VE JUST BEEN PALIN-IZED!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    Does this really work?

Well like I said it will most likely varry depending on which store you go to. At ours we will sometimes (when we have time) print out "At risk" sale tags to put over existing ones that say "Was 59.99 now 29.99". Most Best Buys will probably not make it so easy for you by printing signs and if they do there are most likely many that are missing signs.

I would say the best approach to this is find a friendly employee that is working in the gaming section and kindly ask them if they know of any good games that hit their at risk report lately. If they are newly employeed they might have no idea what you are talking about, but otherwise they might go get the list (if it is available) and let you know of some good games on there. If they question you as to how you know about it tell them you were in another best buy and ran into an employee going through the list (which I tend to do when we get a newly printed one).

Trust me, best buy WANTS you to buy these games, even at half off. Why? because if they don't sell they haveto send them back and make like nothing back on them, so trust me they will be more than willing if you want to buy 10 games at half off, they are atleast making something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I wish I had known that before I went to Gamestop, but I did get Aqua Teen for ps2!

I know where to go for games now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work at Best Buy too, but as a vendor. I'm not sure how their "at risk" works, but since I get to go in the back I get to see price stickers printed for clearanced merchandise. Furthermore, pretty much all 3 or 4 of my Best Buys just list cheaper prices for stuff they need to get rid of. Between Best Buy and Toys R Us I've gotten over 40 strategy guides that were a penny each and 99% of the time it's listed right on there.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 09-29-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Employees can be fired for showing the at-risk report. Don't be mean if they're resistant to showing it off. We have folks come in from time to time asking for the report, and we've been specifically told NOT to let anyone see it as it contains info that isn't for public consumption.

We've gone through our games and created a special cart for the at-risk and end-of-life stuff, at 50-70% off. We sold a boatload of titles, leaving mostly junk still on the shelf. (We're in Eastgate, if you're close by and want to check)

Oh, and that odd comment earlier-license plates are the yellow barcodes you see on open items or shelf displays that are designed to tag an item if it's open/display/etc. Games shouldn't have those, of course.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess my best buy is more leniant, we often just leave the report laying around on our kiosks. Like I said though they will probably not hand it over to you, ask them if there is anything good on the at risk report for specific systems, that should not be that bad for them.