Thread: Speed Racer (Wii)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Speed Racer (Wii)

this is the Wii's killer app, IMHO... I returned to Houston to visit my parents and found out that they had bought themselves a Wii after getting into Wii Sports with some friends of theirs... then I found out that Speed Racer is amazingly only $20, so I bought it to check it out while I'm visiting them...

and I was totally blown away...

BEST. RACING. GAME. EVER.

now I'm definitely gonna have to get a Wii, so I can play this awesome game anytime... I only spent a half hour with it for the first time last nite, and I'm already addicted... never before has any other racing game given me such thrills as this one... it's like a cross between a Hot Wheels game and a Road Rash game, with elements of a Sonic a game thrown in for good measure...

the vividly colorful and insanely wild tracks bring back sweet memories of the bonus levels of Sonic 2, while the flashy cars and extreme stunts remind one joyfully of every Hot Wheels game ever made, as the fighting elements of Road Rash demand that you race as ruthlessly as possible, performing high speed smackdowns and other maneuvers that harken back to the glory days of Demolition Racer on the Dreamcast... this game truly has it all covered...

so whatever you thought of the movie, you really should take this one out for a spin and see if you experience the same sensational sensory overload that I did while playing this game on the Wii with its unique motion controls...

the icing on the cake of this game for me is the vastly different method of controlling the cars, and I'm definitely gonna be getting a pair of Wii wheels to go with it... most likely I'm gonna be getting them for it this afternoon...

so I've moved a Wii up to the top of my Christmas list now, and I'm hoping that my parents will get me one to play in my own home soon... if they do, I may never be seen again without a nostalgic "demon on wheels" grin on my face, knowing the pure joy that is Speed Racer on the Wii... I had been hoping that a PC version would be released, so I wouldn't have to buy a Wii just to play this game, but I'm sold on it now... it's a system seller for me!

here I come... I am Speed Racer... I'm a demon on wheels...

I'm a demon, and I'm gonna be chasin after someone...

WIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you my brother? are you Rex Racer?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been curious about this game. I think I was one of like 3 people on earth that just loved the movie. I was a huge fan of F-Zero GX and all its goofy characters' backgrounds (super heroes and alcoholic t-rexs) and Speed Racer put that and the 'car-fu' up there on the bigscreen. So naturally I've been curious about the game.. I'll have to check this out and force my friend to surrender his Wii for a bit, hehehe.

To the OP, I'm curious, did you ever play F-Zero GX? I think you might enjoy that one too when you get your Wii (backwards compatability FTW) if you haven't yet played it.

edit: Speed Racer is now available on the PS2... I can't say anything about the quality though, haven't played it yet.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Wow. I had heard it was better than the movie, but I didn't know it was THAT much better. It sounds like an unofficial F-Zero game to me.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'll have to try it then, even though the movie was one of the worst ones I have ever seen in my life.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I would get it if I wasn't too lazy money wise to purchase it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bunch of people at the Retrogaming Radio forums have been raving about this game, too. I really don't have any interest in the IP but the game does sound fun.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm glad to see that there's finally a good Speed Racer game, but I don't have a Wii and from what I read it has the best version of the game.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard lots of love for the game since it came out, but I've been holding off for the PS2 version (which is apparently the same as the Wii but with more traditional controls). Gotta order it from Amazon one of these days.

I really liked Challenge of Racer X and the PS1 Speed Racer game was fun for an afternoon (until you do everything there is to possibly do in the game after maybe a dozen races).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too wanted to know if this game was any good. But I will be getting the PS2 version that just started appeaing in Gamestop(despite how they told me it was canceled when I asked several months ago)a few days ago. Hopefully the PS2 version is the same quality as the Wii version.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I too wanted to know if this game was any good. But I will be getting the PS2 version that just started appeaing in Gamestop(despite how they told me it was canceled when I asked several months ago)a few days ago. Hopefully the PS2 version is the same quality as the Wii version.
    You really need to get the Wii version on this one. While the graphics and audio are supposedly almost identical on the PS2 version, it doesn't have motion control. This is one Wii racing game that really gets it right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You really need to get the Wii version on this one. While the graphics and audio are supposedly almost identical on the PS2 version, it doesn't have motion control. This is one Wii racing game that really gets it right.
    I would love to but unfortunatly I don't have a Wii. But eventually I will. Right now the price for the Wii, DS and PS2 versions are all $20, which isn't a bad price. But again, I'm getting the PS2 version because thats the one I can play immediately.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I admit you have me interested as well now. I might have to give it a shot as I loved the older Hot Wheels titles, and I love F-Zero. Looking at the screens of the game it is really colorful and looks like the tracks are pretty wild. Will keep an eye out for one.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the movie too. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Bah, the Speed Racer movie was awesome :P

But man, the game was good too? I'll have to look into it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's on PS2 now also? HMM... maybe there's still hope for a PC version, if more people would beg for it all over the internet, like I've been doing... PLEASE???

the motion control is a huge part of what makes the game so awesome, but I'd buy the PC version if there was one, and still buy a Wii of my own for it as well... I really haven't seen anything else on the Wii that I want so badly I'd buy it though, other than all the pinball games, but I'm sure eventually they'll have some other games that I'd be willing to buy... or at least I hope they will

I haven't played any F-Zero games other than the original on the SNES, and I still don't own that one yet... it's not really the type of racing that I prefer

as for Speed Racer, the only complaint that I have with it is I haven't seen any weapons in it yet, and I don't think there are any... all you do is pull off Car-Fu moves, you don't seem to have the ability to use any of the weapons

still, this is hands down the best racing game ever made, and certainly the best Speed Racer game ever made... if every game on the Wii was like this, I'd be in big trouble trying to figure out how I could afford a complete Wii collection... I'll definitely be looking for more Wii games from this developer

I'm dying to try this game against another player too, but it's too complex for my dad to get into it with me, so I'll prolly be stuck just wishing that it had an online mode... hopefully a PC version would include one, if they could be convinced to make one... I can't believe they don't see the huge potential market for a PC version yet... it's fucking Speed Racer, for crying out loud! the PC has a dozen different Hot Wheel games, most of which have sold very well, so why can't they figure out that Speed Racer on the PC is a no-brainer?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    it's on PS2 now also? HMM... maybe there's still hope for a PC version, if more people would beg for it all over the internet, like I've been doing... PLEASE???
    Don't hold your breath. The PS2 version was announced at the same time as the Wii and DS version but got temperary canceled so that the Wii and DS versions could be finished in time for the movie release. The PS2 version was almost done and since the movie did so poorly(less than 30 million worldwide) they needed to recoup as much money as they could for this property. So I seriously doubt you will ever see a pc release for this game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Does the game have Matthew Fox and John Goodman likenesses in-tact?

If it does, I'm so there.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Just wanted to check in on this thread and mention that I played the DS version for the better part of the evening and I am absolutely impressed with how well the game captures the spirit of the film, the "Speed Racer" universe and the mechanics of those tracks and the "car fu" balet matches featured in the film.

It's a shame that the film met with such mixed reviews (I loved it) or else this game and it's development team might have made some more waves ...

... for a DS racing title it's fast, beautiful and wickedly fun.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I didn't even know that there was a game out so after everyone's great words about it I'll have to check it out for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ... for a DS racing title it's fast, beautiful and wickedly fun.
    Hmm, I might have to check this out.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 10-05-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.