Thread: Skydiving Extreme (PS1): how do you play it?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Skydiving Extreme (PS1): how do you play it?

I bought Skydiving Extreme for PS1 a few years back. It was one of the late releases for the system a few years back, and I finally decided to try it this morning.

However, I can't figure out what to do to control the skydiver. I assume from the icons on the screen that you press either the d-pad or the buttons in order, but I've tried it and haven't been able to get anywhere with it.

I assume that it's supposed to play like Bust-a-Groove or DDR, but I can't figure it out from the manual. I'm sure it's not going to be as good as either of those games, but I hate to have a PlayStation game I can't play past the title screen...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Strange, I also went through a similar situation as this, and it took me a few minutes to realize it was a DDR style rhythm game. After that, I couldn't figure out the timing.

It was disappointing, I thought I would be like skydiving freely and doing tricks.

So yeah, I also want to know.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This question reminds me of my copy of RC Stuntcopter for the PSX. Mr Dave Perry and Shiny whipped up one hell of an evil game, I tell you. If you can score a copy, try to play it!! I dare ya. I double dare ya.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I own this game, and figured it out really easily. You have to keep following the sequences on screen to the letter - even ONE error will send you back to the start of the patterns.

It's a very fun game, well worth the three bucks I paid for it a while back. I even BEAT IT!

I'll see if I can whip up a "how-to" guide and post it later, as soon as I find the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Okay, sorry for the double post, but here you go.

After your choice of team (my favorite? Tien), you go and have a duel with another team. As you fall, you have to press the buttons in order as they appear on screen. Getting the button / d-pad presses right does three things:

One, it lowers your descent speed.
    Two, it increases your attack bar.
    Three, it increases the trick level.

If you make a mistake, then you'll drop down faster than the other team, but you'll have a chance to recover quickly if you press the directions on the screen. But if you mess that up, you have to press R1 quickly to get the team back to gether.

The attack bar (those three ovals on the top of the screen) fills up as you perform tricks. You have three levels of attack, each one being more difficult than the other. Pressing L1 activates the attack, which makes the other team have to do some very complicated button presses in order to get out of the attack. If you're playing against the computer, then wait until you've got a Level 3 attack before you use it, or else they'll counter and wait until you're vulnerable to use a L3 attack on you.

The trick level, well, it's just how complex the trick is. The more complex, the harder the button presses, but the more flashy the trick, too.

The height is very important - it doesn't matter how many tricks you make, if you get to the bottom before the other team, you lose. Every time you mess up, you go down faster. It's -very- hard to recover, so you have to attack the enemies as much as you can so they mess up and fall faster than you.

You're probably thinking by now that this is a very stupid game, but it's actually pretty damn fun once you get the hang of it. It's a lot less demanding than say, Parappa, since it's just pressing buttons within a time limit (not caring about a rhythm) but things can get pretty hot and heavy, and you WILL get clobbered if you're not careful.

Good luck.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I swear that I have this game, but I don't remember playing it. Maybe I played it and couldn't figure it out so I put it away.

Thanks for the guide, Kitsune Sniper. It makes it sound fun.

Now, I have to go find the game and give it a shot (or another one, at least).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Play it in easy mode to get the hang of the game first! I was just like you guys, I couldn't stand the game until I set it on easy... and beat it in one sitting.

There's a huge difference in difficulty between easy and normal. I'm scared to play hard...