Thread: Got my first Arcade and could use some help!

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got my first Arcade and could use some help!

Hey everyone

I got my first arcade machine today. It was sitting at my new job and the company who owned it didn't want it. I figured I would bring it home and fix it up (although I know nothing about the internal workings of one). Here are a few things I need:

-Replacement marquee
    -Replacement side panel
    -New light bulbs for the marquee
    -New bulbs for coin drops
    - player one joystick
    -Figure out how to set it to free play :P

How can I open the control board section? I know it has a hinge on the bottom but I can't figure out how to tilt it forward. Also how can I pull the marquee off?

Pics for everyones enjoyment:

Last edited by Nitrosport; 09-29-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

was it a free-bee, looks good & little work....it will be sharp.......

if you need help go to neogeo.com, thats all arcade stuff there........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, it was free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Looks like a Dynamo cab? To open the control panel, first open the coin door. Reach up and on either side there is a latch -- just pull push them back with your thumb. Then the CP will open up towards you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    Looks like a Dynamo cab? To open the control panel, first open the coin door. Reach up and on either side there is a latch -- just pull push them back with your thumb. Then the CP will open up towards you.
    Thanks! I got it open and and checked out the joystick that's not working right. Should I change the whole thing or just the bad microswitch's? I also found the bolts to remove the marquee which I missed when I was looking at it in the dark. I pulled the old one off and I just ordered a replacement. My biggest concern is the side panel. It's cracked really bad and I don't know if it can be fixed with wood filler or if I'll have to cut out a new panel.

I noticed something a little funky about the monitor aswell. It looks like there is a wave running through the picture but it's extremely light and you probably can't tell untill you've played the game a couple times. Do you know what this is from?
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 09-30-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
    if you need help go to neogeo.com, thats all arcade stuff there........
    Why do people always send people asking questions here to other sites? There are some super smart people right here at DP!

First of all, congrats on the find -- free is always a score.

If the problem with your joystick is just the microswitches, order some of those. You can get those for pennies vs. a new joystick for $30+.

Replacing the whole side panel is pretty unlikely. Is that formica stuck to wood? You could probably use some wood filler on those scratches (and the corners) and repaint the whole thing.

Textfiles.com has the manual for your game online. Download this PDF and check it out. It has all the dip switches required to put the game into free play. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/

Congrats again, and welcome to the club!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look up Zanen on Google and order a "cap kit" for your monitor.

Between that and resoldering cracked solder joints you will fix most of the image problems on your monitor.

RJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Why do people always send people asking questions here to other sites? There are some super smart people right here at DP!

First of all, congrats on the find -- free is always a score.

If the problem with your joystick is just the microswitches, order some of those. You can get those for pennies vs. a new joystick for $30+.

Replacing the whole side panel is pretty unlikely. Is that formica stuck to wood? You could probably use some wood filler on those scratches (and the corners) and repaint the whole thing.

Textfiles.com has the manual for your game online. Download this PDF and check it out. It has all the dip switches required to put the game into free play. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/

Congrats again, and welcome to the club!
    Thanks for all the help. I double checked the joystick and I'm going to need a new one. There is a cracked circular disk that fits on top of the spring. I moved the second player stick to first player position while I order a new joystick. I'm going to need about 3 micro switches for the other buttons aswell.

As for the side panel, it's not made of regular wood, it's that cheap stuff that puffs up when water touches it (the name escapes me at the moment). I'm going to try wood filler though and see what happens. Hopefully I can fix it as the crack goes all the way through to the other side.

For now, I bought some bulbs for the coin doors and a light bulb for the marquee but the marqee won't light up. I'm going to check the wiring later tonight. Also, I bought a replacement marqee from e-bay last night.

Thanks again

Ray
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 09-30-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrosport View Post

Is that a Street Fighter Alpha CPS2 board in there?? I'd take that over Championship Edition any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're correct, it's a cps2. All of the wiring in the cab is not original. It's cut up and there is electrical tape everywhere. I was moving the board around and a small harness that I believe is for the controls came out. I don't know exactly where it was before because the guy had it hooked up to a few of the pins rather than the whole connector. I don't want to ruin the board by plugging it in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 09-30-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been messing with the wiring for a bit and finally got the marquee light working properly.

EDIT: I just ordered a new HAPP 4-8 way joystick and some cherry microswitches. I'll start working on the cosmetics this weekend hopefully.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 09-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Heheheh. I agree.

Congrats on your acquiring your cab. Wood putty can be used for the cracks and chips on the side of the cabinet. For minor jobs I've actually used that Mighty Putty compund since it's a breeze to apply, sand and paint. A lot of the sides on those machines are actually a vinyl type film that I would just cover over. Depending on what your preference is, you can acutally use a vinyl wall covering of your choice after measuring to your exact specifications. If you can find the side art for the game, cool. If not, flat black always works.

Since there's a CPS2 board in there you may have heard already about the battery. The battery in there stores the encryption and once the battery goes it'll kill the board. There may be some people on here with expertise on battery change out or even walk you through the process. Also, look up Phoenixing CPS2 and get aquainted with the system's quirks.

Also:

I noticed a lack of a credit and sevice button (the holes next to the power switch in there). You should be able to wire these directly to Jamma (solder side) pin R. This will allow you to get to the test mode for the game and will be handy if you decide to put another game in there. Refer to Jammaboard's webpage http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_pinout.html for more information.

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to keep you guys up to date on my project. Here's where I'm currently at. The cab has been stripped down and the cracks and gouges have the first coat of filler applied. There are also pieces screwed on the inside of the large crack to help hold it togeather. I also removed the metal bar that was added for extra security over the money box and filled in all the holes for it.

OMF2097, I didn't know about the issue with the battery. That really sucks. I hope that I wont have to worry about it any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's what the cab looks like now:

All that's left is the control panel overlay. The paint in the pictures doesn't look right. There are no blemishes and dark spots like that on the real thing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

nice score. Congrats on the first machine and good luck with it! this site and neogeo.com are great resources