Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Saturn vs. Neo Geo Fighting Games

Just out of curiosity how do the Saturn versions of Neo Geo fighting games stack up? I've seen versions of King of Fighters and Samuri Showdown (along with others such as Waku Waku 7) for the Saturn that, at least on the back of the box, look as good as the Neo Geo versions. I assume the Neo Geo versions are better overall, but do the Saturn versions play pretty much the same?

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default the Sega Saturn is the "poor mans Neo-Geo"

What can I say? I own a Sega Saturn and about 40+ great games(my favorite is the D&D collection). I have a good start to some great 2D fighting games for the system. To answer your question, it matters on how insanely hardcore you are. I ONCE had a Neo Geo and about 5 games. 4 years ago that set me back about 800 bucks. I love the Neo Geo, but now that I am married, I cant really afford it...not yet. The Satrun has some great Neo Geo stuff, but not all of it. You mostly get the King of Fighters (up to the 98) and Samurai Showdown III and IV(lets not forget Metal SLug!!!) Bottom line......The Saturn is the cheap alternative to the Neo Geo. If you want the real deal, then start cutting off a limb so you can get the real experience! Let me just say that I no longer own a Neo Geo because it was either buy ONE new game for that system, or use that money to buy any classic system I wanted with a ton of games!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

To answer your question, it matters on how insanely hardcore you are. I ONCE had a Neo Geo and about 5 games. 4 years ago that set me back about 800 bucks. I love the Neo Geo, but now that I am married, I cant really afford it...
    Yep that's what I realized. The only *affordable* games were the really early ones that sucked and even those set you back $40 or more. All the games I wanted were in the $100 to $400 range and for one game that's insane! I decided to sell my Neo Geo just recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5&category=187

And now I'm going to buy me some Saturn games! Panzer Dragoon Saga and D&D Collection here I come! Maybe even Raidiant Silvergun although I think that's way over-priced.

Tempest

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In terms of fighters I've only been able to compare Samurai Shodown 3 and 4 on both systems, and the Saturn version just don't cut it for me. Missing frames, some slowdown, just overall doesn't look as good or play as good. From what I've heard, it's the same way with the other fighters.

Saturn Metal Slug, I thought was a pretty good port, I recently traded mine, as I got the MVS cart.

Speaking of MVS, you should do what Captain Wrong did and build a supergun or just buy one. Or you could keep your home system and get a phantom 1 converter. Sure it's a big initial cost, but it evens out as you get games.

You can get most of the Saturn ports for the same price on MVS and you'll have arcade perfect games. Samurai Shodown 3 and 4, KoF ' 95-97, Real Bout 1 and Special are all about the same price on MVS as they are for Saturn. Maybe a little more in some cases, but if you look around, you can get those MVS carts for 30-40 a piece. The only one that would be more, is Waku Waku 7, and that runs about 75 or so on MVS.

Plus you also can get Slug 2 and X on MVS for good prices, games you can't get on Saturn. Same with Real Bout 2, Ninja Masters, and Kizuna Encounter, although the latter 2 are a tougher to find, even on MVS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Speaking of MVS, you should do what Captain Wrong did and build a supergun or just buy one.
    Yeah I *may* do that, but I'm probably going to build a MAME machine instead and just emulate the games. The emulation is getting nearly arcade perfect, even for Neo Geo games.

I suspected there would be some missing frames and slowdown. Sounds like the same problems the Neo Geo CD had.

Tempest

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I was going to say what butta said. I just did an A/B on SS3 MVS vs. Saturn, and while it's pretty good, a side by side shows the faults. The Saturn looks more pixelated and isn't quite as fluid. It's really nit-picky and if you don't have a Neo, you'll probably never know, but given the choice, I'd take the Neo.

I can also say that Saturn Fatal Fury 3 has terrible load times. I don't have the MVS cart to compair to, but just matching it up against emulation, you can see missing frames.

And speaking of emulation, once I got my MVS, I couldn't go back to the emulated stuff. MAME makes the Neo stuff look more like a Genesis.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default It all comes down to money.....

When you really think of it, it all comes down to how much you want to invest in your hobby. Me personally, I don't think it is a good return to spend that much on a system. I MAY eventually still do it, if anything to "climb the mountain" and say I have a Neo Geo AES! Really, if you like the games on the system ALOT, then yeah, it will be worth it to you. For me, I have just as much fun playing Galaga on my Namco Collection(PS2) then playing Metal Slug 3. It all matters what you value as great gaming, and how much money you want to spend. Neo Geo collectors are HARDCORE, but I feel they have to sacrifice what else is out there to have much else.........unless you are rich which I am not![/quote]
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist