Thread: N64 emulators?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N64 emulators?

I would like to know which emulator is currently accepted as the best for n64 emulation. Most of the ones I can find are quite old (around 2005) and I was wondering whether there is a more up to date emu?

Any help would be great.
    I like turtles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I understand Project 64 is really the best way to go. In theory there's a sooper-dooper new version in development, but it's been in the works for quite a while now. The 1.7 "beta" release is easy to find.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep Project 64 is currently the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sin & Punishment 2 means I need to get an N64 controller and some type of USB converter.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's not a 1 end all be all with n64 emus there are a few other emus that play certain games better than project 64 (but may play others worse).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    There's not a 1 end all be all with n64 emus there are a few other emus that play certain games better than project 64 (but may play others worse).
    Could you give an example?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

v1.7.0.49 of Project 64 is the best emulation available imho.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Could you give an example?
    Sure, UltraHLE which was basically made initially just to emulate Zelda - Ocarina of time, always did a better job than any other emu out there. However, since I don't know what versions of emulators are installed on my xbox, I could be wrong (maybe Project64 has made tons of improvements). Basically on my xbox I have 3 emus installed for n64 and for each game I can pick which emu (since sometimes one works better than the next) to run since sometimes one emulator worked better than the next (that's what I was thinking of when I wrote my reply).

It's been over a year since I've even touched n64 roms though, I guess I should update and see what's new in the emu scene =)

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I use the exact same emulator on my Xbox (Surreal 64, right?) and that's only an issue on Xbox. PJ64 has always run everything top notch on my PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This thread got me itching to play the emulator again, I use PJ64 with the Adaptoid USB adaptor to use my actual N64 Controller, damn some of these a still fun...............
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    This thread got me itching to play the emulator again, I use PJ64 with the Adaptoid USB adaptor to use my actual N64 Controller, damn some of these a still fun...............
    I was just going to ask about a usb to n64 adapter, thanks for recommending that one (I assume you like) - I'm ebaying one now =)

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

Quote Originally Posted by majinbuu View Post
    I would like to know which emulator is currently accepted as the best for n64 emulation. Most of the ones I can find are quite old (around 2005) and I was wondering whether there is a more up to date emu?

Any help would be great.
    Cant go wrong with project64 but I do prefer an original N64! They are fairly cheap. I have about 5 of em because most of my family had one so they gave em to me!
    Ahh man this guy is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just going to ask about a usb to n64 adapter, thanks for recommending that one (I assume you like) - I'm ebaying one now =)

Nate
    A bit late to chime in but if you can't get that one there is an adapter by Boom which has a PSX and N64 socket in the one device.

Edit: Be careful which n64 controller you use with this adapter, while I have not had any issues, some pads are not compatible according to some web posts.
    Last edited by majinbuu; 10-03-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    I like turtles

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The " Adaptoid USB adaptor" has psx capability too it seems. I actually haven't pushed the purchase button yet since I assumed whatever I bought wouldn't ship until Monday so I would wait on this thread for a possible better recommendation. I already have a NES usb controller (although I don't like it that much, I think I'm going to get a USB to NES controller adapter as well), so I guess I need to finish the collection off with genesis, snes, and tg16 if I can find one.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The " Adaptoid USB adaptor" has psx capability too it seems. I actually haven't pushed the purchase button yet since I assumed whatever I bought wouldn't ship until Monday so I would wait on this thread for a possible better recommendation. I already have a NES usb controller (although I don't like it that much, I think I'm going to get a USB to NES controller adapter as well), so I guess I need to finish the collection off with genesis, snes, and tg16 if I can find one.

Nate
    Then it is not an official adaptoid. The one you see on ebay has "adaptoid" in the title, but this is the true adaptoid:

http://www.wishtech.com/

I had two of them, and sold them both off on ebay for $100 awhile back. Apparently they are a pretty rare commodity. I originally ordered from Wishtech too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nate
    Not sure on this, MY ADAPTOID has USB to PC on one end and straight standard N64 connector on other, not sure where psx capability fits into this?
    Anyone correct me if I am wrong.................
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by leicamaster View Post
    Cant go wrong with project64 but I do prefer an original N64! They are fairly cheap.
    This is so, true...
    If you don't want the original N64, get Project 64... So far that is the best emulator...
    I prefer you buy the original N64 though.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    Then it is not an official adaptoid. The one you see on ebay has "adaptoid" in the title, but this is the true adaptoid:

I had two of them, and sold them both off on ebay for $100 awhile back. Apparently they are a pretty rare commodity. I originally ordered from Wishtech too.
    Oldschoolgamer I was tricked by a seller on ebay! he just put that in his title, crafty... What you have is the adaptoid adapter, which are apparently difficult to find.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post

I bought one for about that much
    Maybe it was from you. Everyone kept bidding on it, I had to snipe it off. It was worth it though as it works pretty damn good.

At any rate, there's a good compatibility list here but I'm not quite sure how up to date it is.

The latest beta is here. It's supposed to be a private beta but... XFD they haven't updated in what, 3 years, and the donating system has been down for like half that time? Fuck that bullshit.