Thread: Vice: Project Doom (Review)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vice: Project Doom (Review)

4/9/09:

When there's an unappreciated game, there must be a review! So says I! And two others support this...me and myself.

Vice: Project Doom
    video review is up on YouTube. Check it out!

Vice: Project Doom

The Guardian Legend

Feedback is greatly appreciated as I will be doing more videos.
    Enjoy the show!
    Last edited by Press_Start; 04-09-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the voice is layin it on a bit thick ;p Not bad and very informative and all but you need a new mic and maybe tone down your enthusiasm ;p nice game though never played it now ill have to take a look at it ;0

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite entertaining but perhaps a little over the top and get a better mic as dao2 said I especially liked the background infos.

Guardian Legend is an interesting game, and I love the music. But I found it to be sort of a jack of all trades, master of none.
    The zelda styled levels were pretty straightforward and got repetitive, and the shooter level boss battles turned into long battles of attrition later on..
    In my opinion there wasn't that much of a challenge to be found after the initial levels, as long as you stocked up on the right equipment and remained patient.

Best things about the game are the music (all compile games are aweome in this aspect - aleste series, golvellius, gun nac have some of my fav 8-bit music),
    the art direction, the map, and the huge arsenal of weapons for an 8-bit game (though some weapons are pretty useless).
    Last edited by PresidentLeever; 10-04-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My #1 NES Game

Should have been huge, but I guess it was more important to push the god awful Simpsons and LJN games in stores

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Wow, one I'd always heard about, never seen or played. That actually looked pretty badass. I'd heard that GBA Sigma Star Saga was playing homage to it, didn't know it was that close to it Gonna have to see if there's a copy around in town somewhere today.

So, thanks for the video man, and same as the above, new mic, settle down a bit

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I forgot how much I enjoyed this game, after watching your review I played all the way through it in one sitting (something I don't think I ever did!)

such a great game, sad that it never got a sequel.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all your comment and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    the voice is layin it on a bit thick ;p Not bad and very informative and all but you need a new mic and maybe tone down your enthusiasm ;p nice game though never played it now ill have to take a look at it ;0
    IT'S THE GUARDIA...(excuse me) It's The Guardian Legend, how can't I not be excited?

You're right I need to work on controlling my voice. I've been looking for a new mic, can anyone recommend better ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    I forgot how much I enjoyed this game, after watching your review I played all the way through it in one sitting (something I don't think I ever did!)

such a great game, sad that it never got a sequel.
    Fun fact: The Guardian Legend was originally named Guardic Gaiden, a sequel to the MSX game, Guardic. Haven't played it yet, but judging from YouTube footage, it looks like it surpasses the original in every aspect.

If we create enough of a fan base, then Compile can produce a next-gen sequel.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Compile went out of business. I know Sega acquired Puyo Puyo, but I don't know if they have all of Compile's old intellectual properties. Regardless, I'm pretty sure it's guaranteed that if there was a new Guardian Legend, it would be created by a completely different staff, so I personally wouldn't have any faith that it would retain the same spirit. Plus, as much as the truth hurts, I think nearly everyone has all but forgotten the franchise. I'd be VERY surprised to see a revival.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Like your style, you seem to have a passion for this game and it carries over, though the whale throwing up was a bit much and too angry video game nerdish, imo. You seem to have the same feeling for this game I had for Blaster Master, I was probably playing that game at about the same time and missed out on this one.

Remember seeing that damn yellow box though, something about it always threw me off and made me think "oh no it's one of those games" and I would just countinue browsing. Of course it was hard to find any good box art/cartridges after seeing that golden Zelda cartridge tucked in that golden box, kinda changed what was perceived as good back then, lol.

Anyway gonna try this out, can't believe this is actually a gem after all these years. Keep em coming should be interesting to see where your videogame history led from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by R.Sakai View Post
    Wow, one I'd always heard about, never seen or played. That actually looked pretty badass. I'd heard that GBA Sigma Star Saga was playing homage to it, didn't know it was that close to it Gonna have to see if there's a copy around in town somewhere today.
    Sigma Star Saga is junk put next to Guardic Gaiden.

Guardian Legend is one of my top 5 NES games for sure. Probably higher than Legend of Zelda.

It captures that sort of atmosphere of dread/isolation that Metroid perfected but includes unmatched furious shooter action once you go into the corridoors. Truly Compile's masterpiece among masterpieces.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Thanks for all your comment and feedback.

IT'S THE GUARDIA...(excuse me) It's The Guardian Legend, how can't I not be excited?

You're right I need to work on controlling my voice. I've been looking for a new mic, can anyone recommend better ones?

Fun fact: The Guardian Legend was originally named Guardic Gaiden, a sequel to the MSX game, Guardic. Haven't played it yet, but judging from YouTube footage, it looks like it surpasses the original in every aspect.

I got a fantastic headset from radio shack for 5 dollars :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem there is that Compile's Guardian Legend staff scattered to the winds well before the company went out of business in 2003. Eighting/Raizing (Dimahoo, various Naruto fighters) and Milestone (Chaos Field, Karous) were formed by ex-Compile employees, and Compile president Masamitchi "Moo" Niitani founded a company called Aiky after Compile went under, though Aiky appears to be gone now. The newest developer made up of Compile expats is Compile Heart, which actually worked with Niitani on a Puyo-ish puzzle game called Takoron in 2007 (since the real Puyo Puyo is owned by Sega now). The latest word is that Niitani has left the company, and now Compile Heart is making X-Edge and a handful of licensed anime games.

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    Sigma Star Saga is junk put next to Guardic Gaiden.
    Sigma Star Saga is junk by any standard. One of the most disappointing games in recent memory, I'd say.
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 10-05-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    I got a fantastic headset from radio shack for 5 dollars :P
    Cool. What brand name is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. What brand name is it?
    Radio shack brand, dunno if they still make it anymore though. The "head band" part is black, ends with silver tips and silver microphone. Black ear cushions.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumpin' with a new review! Enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Move the microphone further from your mouth, cover it with a pop filter (or a piece of really thin cloth or a tissue), and talk in a moderate volume, normal speaking voice. It sounds like you're knowingly talking into a microphone in your bedroom at night, trying not to wake up mom and dad.
    Last edited by tubeway; 04-09-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aside from the voice stuff, I enjoyed the vice review. I intend to get a copy of it, now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

doh, double post.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    It sounds like you're knowingly talking into a microphone in your bedroom at night, trying not to wake up mom and dad.
    Funny you should mention that.

A good portion of the video (audio part) was made while I was visiting with my family on spring break and my mom's a stickler in making me run errands all day. So, night hours were the only time I could get any of my work done. However, her bedroom is adjacent to mine and didn't want to make too much noise. Makes me glad I have to place to call my own.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A decent review of a game I never heard of. Much better sound wise than the Guardian Legend review. The only part of the Vice review I didn't like was the super fast talking bit. I look forward to your next review.