Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Klax and Sentinel for the 7800

I few weeks ago, I realized that these two games were not originally released for the console, but where made years later as reproductions. According to the DP guide, it was thanks to a company called ResQsoft that re-released them. I tried searching through Google and I did find the website, but unfortunately the company does not make them anymore.

How hard is it to find these games now? I've never seen them on Ebay.

Sure, Sentinel was (if I am not mistaken) released in the UK, but how hard is to find the NTSC reproduction?

Also, did these games have their own box and manual? From ResQsoft, Sentinel seemed to come in box, but that is all I can gather.

Any information regarding the games, author, company...or any relevant info about it will be appreciated.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Klax for the 7800 did come in a box and was protected by a clear plastic shell. The game also came with a manual (printed in black and white) as well as a separate booklet featuring an interview with 7800 Klax programmer David Dentt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Does anyone know how the 7800 port of Klax stacks up to the arcade original (or even the TG16 version)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

dr101z's info about Klax is correct.

Sentinel came with box, instructions and Atari 7800 style label. Sentinel's programer was David Lubar.

ResQsoft's owner was given permission to sell reproductions by the programmers of Klax and Sentinel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    dr101z's info about Klax is correct.

Sentinel came with box, instructions and Atari 7800 style label. Sentinel's programer was David Lubar.

ResQsoft's owner was given permission to sell reproductions by the programmers of Klax and Sentinel.
    Ah no wonder he can't rerelease them...my guess is that the permission expired?

If so, that is a pity. I think getting these games will be harder than getting something like Tank Command!

It's rare to ever see these for sale, correct? Also, does anyone have a picture of the games with their items? Would love to see them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

The Sentinel used to appear regularly on ebay. I was unaware of Klax though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

A website called www.atarisales.com has both Sentinel and Klax for the 7800.

However, how do these vary to the ones originally sold on ResQSoft website (http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/)?

How do collectors see these versions?

Also, Klax "has intructions on board the cart" (this is what the person who replied back told me). What does he mean by this?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

He probably means that Klax tells you what to do ingame... which is true. Just no printed manual then, just the cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    He probably means that Klax tells you what to do ingame... which is true. Just no printed manual then, just the cart.
    Most surely. But from what I recall, Klax was released with box and manual as well as Sentinel.

Does this mean that the ones listed on that site are not the originals but copies?

Does anyone have info on this?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

No clue, I got my 7800 Klax from ResQ. Given though he has Pitfighter listed, which ResQ did also produce, I wonder if he another seller of their titles. Given ResQ are not making any more, I wonder if it will ever come out of "backorder" status.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    No clue, I got my 7800 Klax from ResQ. Given though he has Pitfighter listed, which ResQ did also produce, I wonder if he another seller of their titles. Given ResQ are not making any more, I wonder if it will ever come out of "backorder" status.
    Perhaps, but I am scared about how "collectable" his version is compared to that originally sold by ResQsoft. Let me elaborate: to the hardcore collectors, the only "true" version may be the ones released by ResQsoft and not his. His version may be considered copies and worthless in price.

I dunno what to do, honestly. Should I get these versions instead? Also, can anyone provide scans of the boxes for these games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atarisales sells reproductions of the demo carts I believe. Not 100% sure, though I do rememember emailing the guy who runs the store about some of these. Prices were too high, and demo carts were just that. The ResQsoft were finished, I believe. I own both - Klax is fun, Sentinel kinda sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

So in both cases, they are reproductions which pretty much mean their value are identical.

Also the guy from Atari Sales told me that the guy from ResQsoft purchased Sentinel from him (he had purchased them directly from atari) or so he says.

Is this site (Atari Sales) confiable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe they're reliable, but their prices are JACKED. I still would like to purchase COMBAT 1990 from him...but keep holding back because of price.

The ResQsoft repros were nice. The Sentinel looks just like any other 7800 release, box and all. The Klax is less typical, has a foil label and doesn't have a box, just an insert which was in an acrylic box - I don't have the acrylic box. Actually, I think they sold a cart-only and a collector's edition which came with the acrylic case and the insert. I inquired about the collector's version at the time I bought it and they were sold out. However, they had an extra of the insert (but not an extra of the acrylic cases) and they (ResQsoft) were kind enough to offer it to me.
    Last edited by The Manimal; 10-09-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: corrected some bad info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal View Post
    I believe they're reliable, but their prices are JACKED. I still would like to purchase COMBAT 1990 from him...but keep holding back because of price.
    Noticed that too, but from what I've seen, it is the only site I know that currently sells Sentinel. I've tried searching on the internet and they were the only one.

The ResQsoft repros were nice. The Sentinel looks just like any other 7800 release, box and all. Except the Cart mentions ResQsoft on it, I believe.
    Then I fear that I may have been lied to. The guy at Atari Sales told me that the person from REsQsoft purchased Sentinel from him, and he in turn got them direct from Atari. Here is a quote of the email:

"lee at resqsoft got them from me. i bought them straight from atari. i have been in the atari business since 1983. i dealt directly with atari, and i knew the tremeils quite well.
    so the games resqsoft had, are the same exact games he got from me, and are the actual games atari themselves were going to release."

So unless the guy from ResQsoft placed a new label, what else can it be? I would love to see a picture of the cart so I can see.

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.ht...temTypeID=CART

Is this the cart? I don't see "ResQsoft" anywhere...

The Klax is less typical, has a foil label and doesn't have a box, just an insert which was in an acrylic box - I don't have the acrylic box. Actually, I think they sold a cart-only and a collector's edition which came with the acrylic case and the insert. I inquired about the collector's version at the time I bought it and they were sold out. However, they had an extra of the insert (but not an extra of the acrylic cases) and they (ResQsoft) were kind enough to offer it to me.
    Here is Klax:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.ht...temTypeID=CART

So basically, KLAX should come with an insert of sorts? According to Atari Age, Klax also had a manual. Is this correct?

I will admit, I am a tad confused.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some corrections...what Atari Sales guy said may be correct. The Sentinel cart doesn't mention ResQSoft on it at all. The Car front is the typical 7800 cart from, with the numbers CX7869 and CA400067-069. This latter number is on the spine of the cart as well, with just SENTINEL and ATARI 7800. The back of the cart has a black square sticker with a white "P" on it. Everything else looks like typical 7800 release. The only mention of ResQSoft is a pink sticker on the shrinkwrap.

Klax however DOES have the word ResQsoft on the foil cart label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On those photos, the Sentinel is exactly the same as mine. The label on the ResQSoft Klax is different. The spine label is foil and has "KLAX" written on blocks. The main part of the label on the ResQsoft Klax is similar to the photo you've posted but is foil and has "ResQsoft" in pink in place of the "CX-78 PROTO".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Perfect, so it's basically the same game. I will purchase that one ($39.99....oh well, I need it for my collection).

I will need to contact and gather info regarding Klax though. It may not come with manual, but perhaps a paper artwork?

Will keep updating this thread when the answer arrives!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just checked on Klax contents of what I purchased. There's 3 items:

1- Insert for the arcrylic box. Looks like an Atari 7800 box front and sides but no back. It does say that it's published by ResQsoft on it.

2- A piece of cardboard which I have no clue what purpose it serves, but it looks just like this picture: http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/klax_case.jpg

3- A manual. It's black and white, two sided printing, multiple pages, and stapled, but looks like a copy of a manual rather than an authentic manual. It mentions ResQsoft again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ok, I think I understand.

Klax is basically repackaged when purchased from ResQsoft. This would make sense, as there are mentions of it on the box and the manual.

I will get Sentinel for the time being. Perhaps I may get lucky and find a ResQsoft copy of Klax, although in reality it's pretty much the same for both.

I don't think I will be lucky enough to find a complete copy....