Thread: Playstation 3, the Guncon 2, and Time Crisis...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation 3, the Guncon 2, and Time Crisis...?

I'm looking into picking up the older Time Crisis games for the PSX/Ps2, but I've a couple of worries.

Since I have the 60GB PS3, no worries as far as game compatibility.

My concern is with the peripheral. I know that there are no PS2/X ports on mine (duh), but I think I read about some adapter that allows connection of those old controllers into the USB port. I already have one such device, but for PC.

My wonder is if, for one, I can use the Guncon 2 on the first Time Crisis for PSX.

My other wonder is if there would be an adapter so I could use said Guncon 2 on my PS3. If not, my girlfriend still has my old PS2, so I could do that. I'd just rather run a composite cable over to an old TV at my own place, if possible.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're using an LCD telly, then only the Guncon 3 will work.

I'd very much like Time Crisis 4 and the GunCon 3 / G-Con 3, but I want more than one game to play. I'd also like the nice black one instead of the stupid bright orange one that we've been graced with in the West.

I at least want Time Crisis 1, 2, 3, Project Titan and all the Point Blank games available on PlayStation3 with full G-Con 3 compatibility. Hell, may as well update those old graphics while you're at, eh, Namco? I don't care if this is available via PSN or on separate Time Crisis and Point Blank compilation disks, but I want to shoot stuff. A G-Con 3 House of the Dead compilation would be nice too. I want HD Zombies to shoot!

I'd like to see some more 1st person shooters that were G-Con 3 compatible too. The gun has analogue sticks and buttons to allow for much more involved FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    I'd like to see some more 1st person shooters that were G-Con 3 compatible too. The gun has analogue sticks and buttons to allow for much more involved FPS.
    FPS controls with the Guncon 3 suck.

For playing those older lightgun games, look into getting an EMS TopGun II or two. There's some documented problems with the LCD TopGun and Time Crisis 2 and 3, but they were fairly minor and I have no idea if they fixed them up in the EMS TopGun II or if they just repackaged the same hardware.

I'd love love love for Namco to whore out a bundle of previous lightgun games in a bundle or via PSN with GunCon 3 support. Lord knows I'd like to have more than one game to use that damn gun with

(plus, I'd like to be able to buy a second gun without winding up with a duplicate copy of Time Crisis 4)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    FPS controls with the Guncon 3 suck.

For playing those older lightgun games, look into getting an EMS TopGun II or two. There's some documented problems with the LCD TopGun and Time Crisis 2 and 3, but they were fairly minor and I have no idea if they fixed them up in the EMS TopGun II or if they just repackaged the same hardware.

I'd love love love for Namco to whore out a bundle of previous lightgun games in a bundle or via PSN with GunCon 3 support. Lord knows I'd like to have more than one game to use that damn gun with

(plus, I'd like to be able to buy a second gun without winding up with a duplicate copy of Time Crisis 4)
    That looks like just about exactly what I want, save for one thing: What about PSX? Will it play Time Crisis 1 on my PS3 ^^?

EDIT: Oh, also, if the Guncon 3 would run TC1 for PSX and TC2/3 for PS2, I'd rather have that, but I dunno if it would or not.
    Last edited by aclbandit; 10-07-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just hooked in my PS3 to the tube TV via composite cable and plugged the Guncon 2 in correctly to everything, and it plays Time Crisis 2 on my 60GB perfectly!

However, even with a PS2-to-USB converter (which, oddly, lets me use my PS2 controller to play games/access PS3 menus), the PSX lightguns won't work.

Still, some's better'n none.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ...

So you hitched up the guncon 2 but did it ever work with time crisis 1? i just got a copy of point blank 3 and i have a couple guncon2s. Also does anyone know how to set it up with component? is it possible? i have a rear projection hdtv that i used to play the guncon2 on ps2 games on so i know its fine for the gun just need a way to hitch it up. Did we ever figure out if that EMS topGun works with psx? i will buy whatever i need to friggin play point blank...what an awesome game!
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring