Thread: Katana PS2 memory cards: any good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Katana PS2 memory cards: any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-2-...dp/B000WE3H5Y/

I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used one of these. Are they any good? I don't need any anecdotes about third party memory cards being crummy - I've heard them all. I've got a PS1 MadCatz 32x memory card that's been working great for years, so there are a few good ones out there. What I'm wondering is if this is one of them. I'm running short on memory card space, and something like this would help loads.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I have not used them, but they are Sony Licensed, just like the Logictec Wireless controllers. I'd venture the guess that they are nice and sturdy memory cards. For Sony to license the memory card out to them means something to me and if I actually needed a PS2 card i'd pick one up.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, i'd be real hesitant of picking up one of those larger format memory cards. Games were designed for the 8mb cards, using anything else is asking for trouble.

As for the playstation logo, a lot of the pirate cards carry the logo without asking sony themselves, it's hard to say if it's legit or not.

And just because it comes from amazon, doesn't mean it's legit. I just bought a pirate SD card off of them last month. The "name brand" sticker was printed on an inkjet.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 10-07-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I can't speak on their quality - I can say that they're the real deal ... Katana, Hori, and Logitech all have officially licensed Sony peripherals.

Looks like the peripheral licensing may have helped cushion the financial impact of the immersion settlement.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n27301170

"About Katana Game Accessories (www.katana-accessories.com)

Newly formed Katana Game Accessories has been licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment to produce gaming peripherals and accessories for Sony PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3 platforms. The soon-to- be released product line includes controllers, memory cards, Bluetooth Technology devices, cabling, and other accessories. Katana has offices in Canada, China, Macao, Singapore, and the U.S."
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

As Stu and Frankie say, these are legitimate and carry holographic seals to prove it. They have been carried in stores like Circuit City and Target. I think the reason I passed them up, is because they operate by having four separate 8MB blocks, changed by pressing a button. (similar to the DC 4X memory card)

I could be wrong about the four block thingy, I'm going of a hazy memory.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's how they work, it seems a lot safer then a single 32mb card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there's a little button to switch between 4 separate 8 MB "pages", rather than the hackish 32MB and 64MB cards from Datel. The official Sony license seal does tend to make me think they've got their shit together, to at least some degree.

You Have Reached SuperStar Status! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Katana PS2 Memory Cards: Any Good? Absolutely! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-2-...dp/B000WE3H5Y/

I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used one of these. Are they any good? I don't need any anecdotes about third party memory cards being crummy - I've heard them all. I've got a PS1 MadCatz 32x memory card that's been working great for years, so there are a few good ones out there. What I'm wondering is if this is one of them. I'm running short on memory card space, and something like this would help loads.
    Yes. I Own An Officially Licensed By Sony Katana Memory Card 16Mb. I Found Out About Them Originally From Speaking With A Sony Customer Service Representative A Few Years Ago, When I Was Going Through The Process Of Having One Of My Game Systems Serviced, She Informed Me To Only Purchase Game Accessories That Are Officially Licensed By Sony. UnLicensed Third-Party Game Accessories Have The Tendency To Cause Internal Damage To The Systems Software...And It Was Most Likely The Reason Why I Had To Have My System Repaired In The First Place. I've Formally Used MadCatz And Pelican Accessories As Well, But I Got Rid Of Them Due To This Information Provided, And The Fact That I Had To Get My System Repaired. So It's Best To Avoid Non-Licensed By Sony Accessories. And My System Is Still Operational, Since Ditching Un-Licensed Third Party Products.

However, The NYKO Playstation 2 8Mb Memory Card Is A Third-Party Officially Licensed By Sony Product, That I Owned And; Personally, Did Not Care For. It's A Poor Quality Product In My Opinion. But The Katana Memory Card Is Awesome! You Just Gently Press The Button To Scroll/Switch Between 8Mb Pages. And It Contains Side Grips To Make It Easier To Insert & Remove From The Slot. Besides The Great Functionality Of It, I Also Appreciate The Fact That Its Visually Appealing: Black Memory Card + Black Playstation 2 = Perfect! So Buy It Already! You Can't Go Wrong With Katana!

*P.S.: Just Be Sure To Purchase From Sellers Whose Ratings Are Within 98% - 100%. And Be Sure To Ask Them If They Are Actually Selling Exactly As Depicted & Advertised. Some Sellers Tend To Advertise Under The Wrong Product Listing, So Do Be Cautious. Peace. ^_^
    Last edited by BlkAnglsLuv; 12-23-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Forgot To Mention...
    Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as true strength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, I've been using a pair of these cards (32 MB and 16 MB) for a few years now, and have had no issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stick with 8mb 1st party or 3rd party only if it has the Magic Gate logo. Past experience with bank switching cards failing will keep me away from this. Another issue is if the card goes bad with either the press switch or a bank inside from the "surge", you will lose four times the amount of save files versus a regular 8mb card.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I use third party cards to hold my cheat device data, so I've never lost anything worth much to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlkAnglsLuv View Post
    Yes. I Own An Officially Licensed By Sony Katana Memory Card 16Mb.
    I also own one of these, it came with a PS2 Slim I bought awhile ago. It seems to work fine though I don't use it much, as others have said it uses separate pages divided into the same size as a normal memory card.

Finally someone else is using the same custom rank graphic as me, it's a bit surprising that nobody else uses this one.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Major necrothreadage going on, but I just would like to say my licensed MadCatz PS2 card is every bit as reliable as my Sony PS2 card. No reason it shouldn't be, though, since it was built to Sony specifications and standards, not reverse engineered garbage like a lot of the PSX cards were.