Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Default N64 joystick

I have probably at least 20 N64 controllers from various lots I've gotten, and they all have joysticks ranging from kind of sticky to completely fucked up so that they only turn one way.

Is there any way to fix these, or a good third party controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are replacements online you can buy new joysticks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The analog thumbsticks are usually the first thing to go on an Nintendo 64 controller. Check online to see if you can buy any in bulk for the best possible discount. They're easy to replace and certainly cheaper than buying replacement controllers.

As far as sticky controllers (like if the buttons stick or have a spongey feel), you will probably need to open up the controllers and pop out the buttons and clean them using a little bit of "goo-gone" (citrus preferred) on a q-tip and that should help get any kind of residue off. Again, it's a relatively easy process, shouldn't take you long at all.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked into the replacement thumbsticks and they are pricey(at least to me because I am cheap). You can buy a 3rd party stick for $10-12 and the thumbsticks were like $8-10 each with shipping. Maybe you can find a better deal, but I couldn't find them cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masco73 View Post
    I looked into the replacement thumbsticks and they are pricey(at least to me because I am cheap). You can buy a 3rd party stick for $10-12 and the thumbsticks were like $8-10 each with shipping. Maybe you can find a better deal, but I couldn't find them cheaper.
    Still, 8-10 dollars each beats the crap directly out of 17-25 shipped for new controllers, which may (or may NOT) be in any sort of better conditions than the ones you already have.

My recommendation? The thumbstick replacements from Nintendo Repair shop. I've bought some of these, and they're friggin' fantastic. Feel better-than-new. ^^

By the way, this website is pretty much the best thing ever to happen to a classic Nintendo gamer. Tons of other stuff you might need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Just do this first. Unless your sticks are in the shitcan that should rejuvinate them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Years ago there was a 3rd party stuck with a metal analog instead of plastic. If you can still get those then do it because even Mario party hasn't killed mine.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    Years ago there was a 3rd party stuck with a metal analog instead of plastic. If you can still get those then do it because even Mario party hasn't killed mine.
    The MakoPad / SuperPad 64 is what I think you're talking about. (has a more standard layout than the stock N64 controller) It's an excellent controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard the horipads are great n64 replacement sticks that use a gc style analog stick that never busts Never tried it myself though, would buy em in a heartbeat if they were wireless

(expensive)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-N64-HORI-MIN...3286.m20.l1116

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Thanks everyone.

I'll try that free method and see if it works. If not I'll try and find some place to buy in bulk because it would be almost $200 to replace all of those sticks. 0_0

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody tried these Ebay-sourced Replacements???

BUMP to an old thread, and by a newbie, nonetheless!

There's an Ebay listing for replacement analog sticks. They look much like Gamecube sticks, and they're $20 for a pair, with free shipping. I just have to wonder if they're any good. Hopefully, someone's tried them? It would be sweet, if this is a viable solution. I'm having a hard time finding used (thrift store, etc) N64 controllers that aren't already worn out. Buying nice extras has been my strategy, thus far, but difficult now. Gracias!

Link to Ebay listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130450859863

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wood_jl View Post
    BUMP to an old thread, and by a newbie, nonetheless!

There's an Ebay listing for replacement analog sticks. They look much like Gamecube sticks, and they're $20 for a pair, with free shipping. I just have to wonder if they're any good. Hopefully, someone's tried them? It would be sweet, if this is a viable solution. I'm having a hard time finding used (thrift store, etc) N64 controllers that aren't already worn out. Buying nice extras has been my strategy, thus far, but difficult now. Gracias!

Link to Ebay listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130450859863

I've got these. They're great. They are like tiny gamecube analog sticks without the grip.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have bought and used many of the new aftermarket replacement thumbsticks. These things are a godsend. Prior to these little beauties the only real option was to buy a used "replacement" thumbstick online (quality varied considerably from seller to seller) or to just buy another controller that had a good thumbstick. I was able to resurrect and sell about 30 controllers I had lying around from various purchases I had made. I'm sure there are several sites out there now selling them, but I can personally recommend this site for large quantity purchases:

http://www.wholesalevideogamelots.co...Control/Detail

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Retrogamecraze; 11-19-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    My Nintendo 64 Controller Page
    http://www.squidoo.com/controller-for-n64

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Just do this first. Unless your sticks are in the shitcan that should rejuvinate them.

So this means the only reason the sticks go bad is not because of the plastic they are made of, but because the spring hidden inside gets out of position after extended use?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    So this means the only reason the sticks go bad is not because of the plastic they are made of, but because the spring hidden inside gets out of position after extended use?

That has been contrary to my experience with them. My problem with the sticks has not been the spring, but rather the black pieces wearing down. The original lubricant that was used was a powder that gets ground down into useless unenchanted pixie dust over time. If you find any original sticks in good condition it is best to replace that powder with a proper lubricant. It is also a good idea to clean and re-lube old sticks as the old grease probably is not doing its job anymore. For Nintendo sticks I like to use a nice thick silicone grease. Also applying silicone grease to the rubber grips will stop them from leaching oily substances and prolong their life.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the time the problem with the controllers is with two specific pieces that wear down over time:

I had so many controllers with bad sticks at one time I went to a mold injection company to inquire about making these pieces! The cost to make the die (mold) was way too expensive for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamecraze View Post
    Most of the time the problem with the controllers is with two specific pieces that wear down over time:

I had so many controllers with bad sticks at one time I went to a mold injection company to inquire about making these pieces! The cost to make the die (mold) was way too expensive for me.
    How much was it?
    Click Me!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They quoted me like 10-15k. They are very complex working gears, blah blah. I think I can get it done much cheaper than that but I haven't had time to shop around. That was my first inquiry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna say no ad I believe that this guide is wrong (Or at least following it wont FIX a loose joystick). I was doing a write up on N64 joysticks at one point and Retrogamecraze has it right. In my experience I've never seen a bad N64 joystick caused by the spring.

Just to make it clear for anyone looking to fix a N64 joystick..
    From my research, once an N64 joystick breaks (becomes loose) it is because of the plastic pieces widening that the joystick in held in place by. Take a look at Retrogamecrazes excellent picture to know exactly what happens. There is no reliable way to fix a loose n64 joystick but their are ways to prevent it such as lubing up the rails so they don't grind away. Once a joystick is loose you must replace it with a completely new joystick because the replacement part simply doesn't exist.

They quoted me like 10-15k. They are very complex working gears, blah blah. I think I can get it done much cheaper than that but I haven't had time to shop around. That was my first inquiry.
    Wow, thats an insane amount.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 11-20-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamecraze View Post
    I have bought and used many of the new aftermarket replacement thumbsticks. These things are a godsend. Prior to these little beauties the only real option was to buy a used "replacement" thumbstick online (quality varied considerably from seller to seller) or to just buy another controller that had a good thumbstick. I was able to resurrect and sell about 30 controllers I had lying around from various purchases I had made. I'm sure there are several sites out there now selling them, but I can personally recommend this site for large quantity purchases:

http://www.wholesalevideogamelots.co...Control/Detail

Hope this helps!
    How does it compare to the original stick? One of the things I loved about the original is that the control is tight compared to say a Gamecube stick. Playing F-Zero X and GX, the former has much tighter turning than in the latter.