Thread: Phantasy Star Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Phantasy Star Zero

Looks really good. Better looking than Universe imo, I was thinking of getting the PSP version, but after seeing this and wi-fi I think i've changed my mind as PSP version only has ad-hoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgHVE85MqM
    Last edited by BHvrd; 12-11-2008 at 12:42 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Really, PSP is only ad-hoc? It's got a web browser in it...?

Anyway, if the game is semi-solid, I'll have to pick it up. I've been thirsty for a good new PS game for a decade or so. I was pretty stoked when I heard about PS Universe, and when I saw it in the bargain bin a month after release I got scared off and didn't try it. Hope this fairs better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Really, PSP is only ad-hoc? It's got a web browser in it...?

Anyway, if the game is semi-solid, I'll have to pick it up. I've been thirsty for a good new PS game for a decade or so. I was pretty stoked when I heard about PS Universe, and when I saw it in the bargain bin a month after release I got scared off and didn't try it. Hope this fairs better.
    Yeah no online play and you can't walk around towns, the towns are static maps which really blows, totally kills the immersion. Also I can't believe they didn't make it linkable with PSU accounts...PSU on the go? Now I would buy that!

As it stands I only see the PSP version being acceptable by people who have never played it and just want to play with people locally just for the heck of having a linkable rpg.

The psp version looks like a cash-in while the DS version just looks full blown great and an original new concept, which is great as PSU wasn't as good as PSO in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Looks really good. Better looking than Universe
    A bit off topic, but is Universe worth picking up? I see it cheap now in bargin bins, but I'm still not too sure it's worth the price. FWIW I was a big fan of PSO I&II (not so much of the CARD thing with III).

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My DS and I are looking forward to this one. Anyone hear if they've confirmed a Wi-Fi Pay & Play plan or Hunters License yet? I'm sincerely hoping for free online this time. As long as either version can play local multi I'll be happy though.

Still need to look at PSU and find a PSO 1&2+ for GC.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    My DS and I are looking forward to this one. Anyone hear if they've confirmed a Wi-Fi Pay & Play plan or Hunters License yet? I'm sincerely hoping for free online this time. As long as either version can play local multi I'll be happy though.

Still need to look at PSU and find a PSO 1&2+ for GC.
    It does have Wi-Fi, and I'm nearly positive that its free.

I'm very seriously considering importing this. Not like it'll honestly be all that different of a system from every other PSO game, so I think I should be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    A bit off topic, but is Universe worth picking up? I see it cheap now in bargin bins, but I'm still not too sure it's worth the price. FWIW I was a big fan of PSO I&II (not so much of the CARD thing with III).

Tempest
    You know honestly, it's a mixed bag.

While it does have a neat item creation system and the rooms where you put collected items is really really cool, the gameplay itself just isn't as focused as PSO was.

Where PSO was a challenge and rather long and tough without friends, PSU can pretty much be blown through solo with minimal effort. The dual handed weapons and weapon and item management in general is quite a bit better there just really isn't much need in a party of 6 as you will be lucky to land a single blow (except on bosses).

I'll give the game credit for trying to innovate the series a bit, which in ways it did, but ultimately the gameplay just fell flat, though fun it just is nowhere near as challenging or engaging as PSO.

I would say pick it up on the cheap and just enjoy the offline mode as the online mode is really exactly the same thing, especially if you get the expansion version. Sega has had some cool events and things you can get only online, truly they have done a damn good job (looks at Maximum Attack G), but ultimately you end up walking around the game with a Rappy Suit on trying to look cool, knowing that noone wants to play cause there really isn't much point.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 12-27-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

Tempest
    Along with what BHvrd said, there also used to be a horrible cheating problem. I know you can typically ignore cheaters, but when I played PSU a year or two ago, the experience was so horrible that I stopped playing.

I'm not entirely sure if the cheating problem has been toned down since, but if you do play it, try to go for the Xbox 360 version. Microsoft tended to be a little bit better in regulating the problem, at least when I was playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being a life-long PS fan, I'll buy this of course, but I'm not super thrilled. Does Sega not realize that millions of people would have a collective orgasm if they announced a new traditional PS title. We've had 8 or so years of these action RPGs now, and they haven't changed all that much.

Was that a pikachu mod thing at about 4:45?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Looks really good. Better looking than Universe imo, I was thinking of getting the PSP version, but after seeing this and wi-fi I think i've changed my mind as PSP version only has ad-hoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgHVE85MqM
    Phantasy Star Portable only has ad-hoc, but the game is compatible with the PSP/PS3 ad-hoc party, so even though there's no inrastructure you'll still be able to play with other people over long distances.

I'm going to pick up both games once they hit the US(if PSZ is coming here.)

I'm also a bigger fan of PSO than I am of PSU. I just loved how PSO was. Then once the GC version version came out with Episode 2, the areas were even better, especially the forest/beach/mountain area.

PSO3 wasn't that great, though. The light characters had a huge advantage over the dark characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

So I finally got a copy of this game from ncsx.com and have put abobut 10.5 hours into it. I wasn't really sure how Phantasy Star Online would translate to the DS, but I have to say that I'm impressed!

The game is similar to PSO but on a smaller scale- the city is smaller, you have less character custom options, the graphics are DS in nature, etc. That said, if you enjoyed PSO on the DC, Gamecube, Xbox, or PC, you will *love* this game.

You can play single player offline which follows a story, or you can play local multiplayer or wifi multiplayer which have either level playthroughs or missions to complete. Everything is in Japanese which makes things very hard on someone who can't read the language. Gameplay is easy enough to figure out, but the menus and item names require either trial and error or a translation guide.

The beauty part is that the gameplay lives up to PSO. Combos are there, plenty of different item types, grinders, all the enhancments, slotted armor- it's nostalgia from the DC days

I played PSU for a little bit on the 360 and didn't get into it, this game is much more like PSO (as has been stated before). There is no hunters license- you just connect to your wifi source and play near instantly (minimal lag too!).

For those who can't wait till the Fall, the Japanese version is easy enough to get into- but you will be missing out on a lot- plus it'll be frustrating for the first few hours. If you can wait, this will be a must have for anyone who is into this type of game when it hits the US.