Thread: PC Gamepad Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC Gamepad Question

I just picked up a Gravis PC Gamepad to use to play my emulators with. Where do I connect this? I cant find any spots in the back of my computer that will match. This link is the exact controller I have. Auction says it connects to a soundcard? I dont know where it goes. Thanks guys, I appreciate any info you can give. Link to my Gamepad is below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gravis-PC-Gamepad-Really-Cool_W0QQitemZ310089807826QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 310089807826&_trkparms=72%3A1417|39%3A1|66%3A4|65% 3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohost ing

<333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That requires a game port, often found on older sound cards. I use Crative Sound Blaster cards in my older PCs which are similar to this one. They aren't really expensive and there are some nifty accessories out there. And check it out, a Wikipedia article.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

url doesn't work; try making an actual linky link.

I'm guessing that you bought a Gravis gamepad with a gameport connector instead of USB. Some soundcards still come with gameport daughtercards, but for the most part, you're screwed. That's ok though, because the gravis is a fairly crappy gamepad in comparison to other pads currently available.

Apparently Logitech's more recent pads aren't too bad and I'm a huge supporter of Saitek's line (longtime P2500 fan reporting for duty!), but you can also use the PS3 and 360 controllers just as easily.

Take a walk down the aisles at Bet Buy and Circuit City and get your hands on the actual controllers if you can. See which ones feel good to you and do a little google work online to see if there's any known problems with them and emulators. I'm a stickler for a good, comfortable, and accurate dpad and six face buttons, so this P2500 works out awesome for me. Other people prefer two shoulder buttons or something closer to the 360's setup. Some people don't give a shit if the dpad is all mushy and out of whack.

etc.

-e;fb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are the sound cards easy to install? And yes it is a Gravis

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Sound cards generally are easy to install. A side-benefit is that they can often output 5.1 surround...which, for PC gaming, is simply godly. There is nothing like playing an FPS and having the advantage of hearing your enemies coming up behind you.

Besides being known as a game port, these are also known as MIDI ports. IIRC, you can hook a keyboard or other MIDI-enabled device and import directly into the soundcard and some other program (like Cakewalk). I would presume that MIDI is a bit outdated now, or that connections to keyboards or other sequencers are more standardized and / or advanced (like USB) these days.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Sound cards generally are easy to install. A side-benefit is that they can often output 5.1 surround...which, for PC gaming, is simply godly. There is nothing like playing an FPS and having the advantage of hearing your enemies coming up behind you.
    and before anyone rushes in to defend onboard audio (like the AC97 family): no, it doesn't compare. You get all sorts of awesome side effects from onboard audio that doesn't typically occur with dedicated sound cards, particularly interference.

People shit on Creative Labs all the time (most of the time it's justified), but a cheap Audigy 2 will do wonders over the stuff bundled on motherboards. Plus, you don't waste so many CPU cycles on audio and get a nice boost in your game performance.

I went from having a dedicated soundcard for two computers (SB Pro and then a SB Live) down to onboard for two motherboard revisions and then finally picked up a dirt cheap Audigy 2 when I built my new machine back in '06 and the difference was night and day. Plus, I got my ol' gameport back for my MS Sidewider Precision Pro flight stick. It may not be as advanced as my Saitek X52, but I wouldn't imagine playing X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or even Crimson Skies any other way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't bother putting a lot of effort into getting that gamepad working.

I hated that gamepad 15 years ago and I hate it now. The d-pad sucks and the buttons are hard to press, especially if you need to press two at once.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    url doesn't work; try making an actual linky link.
    This is the auction he tried to link to.

If you don't want to drop the cash on a sound card, or open your computer to install it, another option is a USB to Gameport adapter. here's one on eBay that should work. Honestly though, I imagine this will cost you more than the gamepad in the first place... plus, it's really not a very good gamepad in the first place.

--Zero