Thread: Gradius II or III - Which is better??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gradius II or III - Which is better??

I am thinking about purchasing Gradius II for the PC Engine or Gradius III for the Super NES, but I do not know which is the better game. I can afford both, but I do not want to buy both games if I can find the definitive version and stay with it; I only have so much space for my 200+ games. Let me know what your opinions are...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd go with Gradius II, especially because the SNES port of Gradius III is pretty bad. The PC Engine handles shooters much better. Although, it would be better to get Gradius Deluxe Pack (which is Gradius 1 and 2) for Saturn, and maybe get Gradius III & IV for PS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I'd go with Gradius II, especially because the SNES port of Gradius III is pretty bad. The PC Engine handles shooters much better. Although, it would be better to get Gradius Deluxe Pack (which is Gradius 1 and 2) for Saturn, and maybe get Gradius III & IV for PS2.
    Bad? SNES Gradius 3 is far better than the arcade, if for only the fact that it isn't so painfully difficult only the truly hardcore would ever finish it.

You can't go wrong with either. If you're worried about space, though, Gradius 2 is a CD release.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

or if you have a psp you could always get gradius collection for just a couple bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

III suffered major slow down on the SNES. It wasnt bad but it tended to make the game rather easy. Dont know much about how II was on the PCE though if other shooters for the system were any clue, it was very good. I'd recomend getting both as III shouldnt set you back more then 5-10 tops. II can fetch a pretty penny though. If you have a PSP, get the collection, it's better priced I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Despite the major slowdown on the SNES, I love Gradius III. That game got me into shooters and even though I own both the SNES version and the Gradius III & IV pack for PS2 I still like playing the SNES version because of the slowdown (which I think can make the game easier ) and when I'm up for the challenge I crack the PS2 version open and torture myself because it gets pretty rough.

But this reminds me I still need to track down a copy of Gradius V...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gradius II for famicom blew my mind. It had the graphics and sound of a SNES game, imo. One of the greatest soundtracks ever. For reasons I will NEVER understand, it was not released in the US. It would have been huge! If Nintendo Power had done a spread on that, it would have sold like crazy.

My only guess as to why it was not released is that it is that getting past the first stage is very difficult if you don't get every power up, but after that it's smooth sailing, like any Gradius game, really. Don't die even once if you can help it (that's a rule for any Gradius game). Still, way harder NES games were released.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played the PC Engine version, but if it's as good as the X68000 version I'd choose it in a heartbeat over Gradius III. Unless you like SNES-paced shooters, that is.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    or if you have a psp you could always get gradius collection for just a couple bucks.
    You must be a mind reader.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gradius 2

I own both Gradius 3 (SNES) and Gradius 2 (PCE CD). I would say Gradius 2 PCE because

1) It has a extra level that the Arcade doesn't have (skeleton island type level)
    2) Very nice additional intro, good music in the intro too (has the arcade intro plus a PC Engine CD game style intro added)
    3) Very close to the arcade (not much difference that I can tell). Gradius 3 on SNES is much different than it's arcade counterpart
    4) Gradius 2 I think was more challenging than Gradius 3 on SNES (even Technical Monkey mode, that's after professional mode)
    5) Not much slowdown in Gradius 2, though gradius 3 overall had slowdown in the arcade and SNES (not sure if the SNES slowdown was to mimick the arcade game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer Gradius III... I'm not a shooting god, and so I find Grad III to be set at a pleasant difficulty level. It gets hectic and tough later on in the game. Grad II gets a bit tough in the Moai stage, and then if you die at the Moai boss... forget it! Just press RUN+Select.

And on the intangible side, Gradius III just feels so much more welcoming and "happy" to play. Grad II feels daunting and like an unwanted slog in some places.

And, Grad III's music, even though it is mere SPC sound, is far better than GII's CD soundtrack. Plus there are more levels in GIII, if I'm not mistaken.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing Gradius II for the PC Engine or Gradius III for the Super NES, but I do not know which is the better game. I can afford both, but I do not want to buy both games if I can find the definitive version and stay with it; I only have so much space for my 200+ games. Let me know what your opinions are...
    I just put my copy of gradius 3 on ebay for 99 cents don't know what would be better for you but it is 99 cents right now lol

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Gradius II for famicom blew my mind. It had the graphics and sound of a SNES game, imo. One of the greatest soundtracks ever. For reasons I will NEVER understand, it was not released in the US. It would have been huge! If Nintendo Power had done a spread on that, it would have sold like crazy.
    I know this isn't the Gradius II this thread is about, but I NEED to agree with rbudrick. I love this game, and I wish my dumbass cousin hadn't lost my beloved cart, that son of a whore (wait, that's my aunt...).

Funny thing, is I never really liked Gradius III for the SNES exactly because I think Gradius II for the Famicom is way cooler...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I haven't played Gradius II on PCE, but Gradius III SNES is better than the arcade version. However, I feel the slowdown is almost a dealbreaker. If you're looking for a definitive version, get the PSP Gradius Anthology, as others have mentioned. But you should be able to score a III cheap, so why not try both?