Thread: Mame32 downloads site, Rom-World??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mame32 downloads site, Rom-World??

I just got my mame32 kinda running and started to get some roms. I went to Rom-World and got some good stuff, but all there games dont work. I have a bunch of games that dont work.

I downloaded the Neogoe rom thing, but some games still dont work. Games like Samurai Showdown, Street Fighter II, and Dark Stalkers. Thats only a few that I found that dont work, there are many more.

The message I get says, "The selected game is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images. Please select a different game." What does that mean and how do I get it to work?

Is Mame 32 my best option?

I have also been downloaded the Stella emulator, but I cant seem to get any atari game roms to work either.

I know, I know, I should just Read everything about Mame, but why reinvent the wheel when I could get help here. thanks
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember someone saying that you should get the games as a set rather than individually. The reasoning was that there are different versions of mame and games, which are designed to work together, so you can't just use any game with any mame. Hey, that last part rhymed!

That is my 2 cents (which is probably 1 cent now with the economy in the US) but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to give you more specific advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soo, no one knows why those roms dont work?
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igorr View Post
    You said it yourself:

I know, I know, I should just Read everything about Mame...
    EDIT: Let me expand on this. You pretty much all but admit that you're too lazy to do the research in your first post, and that you'd like someone to do the investigation and spoonfeed the answers to you. Pretty much a turnoff around here.

That said, there are many, MANY versions of MAME out there. The version I use is kind of archiac since that's the version that works best on my antiquated system. And I discovered it through research and trial and error and looking up my system and the MAME recommendations for it. THEN I had to find a frontend that would work best for it and THAT was another round of research and downloading and trying it out and so-forth.

The short answer is - YOu gotta figure it out yourself since every MAME machine is different. Buy a top-end computer at Best Buy, and you can use the most recent version of MAME with built-in front end without problems. Anything else, you're just gonna have to puzzle it out on your own. Took me a few months of downloading, testing, trying out, tweaking, and experiemntation before I got everything just right.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Sniderman; 10-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    You said it yourself:

Come on sinderman, help me out! I am not a real big fan of reading!!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I see many stories, but I can't see how a Quad-Core PC loaded to the gills cannot run old games on a recent MAME release? Sure they've had to modify MAME to allow newer games to run, but I think it's more nitpicking than anything. That plus some folks are trying to play some pretty exotic arcade titles. So what are people doing, using 7 different installs of Mame? That's ridiculous if that is the case. Kind of defeats the point of "Multiple" arcade emulation. I don't really mess around with Mame too much, is this really a problem?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igorr View Post
    Because as the error message itself tells you, you got bad or incomplete romsets! Come on man it aint rocket science

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Because as the error message itself tells you, you got bad or incomplete romsets! Come on man it aint rocket science
    Well I assumed that, but on that rom world site it said that some games needed the neo geo rom. I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something wrong, thats all.

Do you use rom world? If so, do you have the same problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Use the basic MAME32 version which is now called MAMEUI. You get it here:

http://mameui.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Then download different roms to the rom folder. Rom world works pretty well. You will find that some games have multiple rom sets. Usually downloading the one marked "popular" works the best. If a game won't work, try downloading all the rom sets. It should then work.

Download the neo geo bios for neo geo games. Some newer games will require a CHD image. Those files are huge. I stick to the older games myself.

If you are still having trouble with certain games, let me know and I will see if they work on my system.

You don't need a new computer. For most of the "classic" arcade games, any half way decent PC will work.

Good luck !!