Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Microsoft Could Kill PC Gaming (And Profit!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How Microsoft Could Kill PC Gaming (And Profit!)

One word: DirectX

This wonderful API has given us PC gaming advances for years now, and the industry is nearly dependent on it. Should Microsoft make the Xbox 3 with DirectX 11 as a platform-exclusive, PC gaming would slowly go away. OpenGL is a good contender, but can you see all the development studios in a mass-migration?

Honestly, I think that this might be a good thing. If the next generation of consoles has full "personal computer" functionality, do we even NEED PC gaming anymore? The personal computer could make a move back to being an office tool, while game consoles become centralized entertainment hubs.

We're already seeing signs of a coming change. PC-accessory manufactures such as Logitech are making console accessories and input devices. They'll see no losses from a transition like this. Microsoft would see a dramatic increase in the Xbox brand's profitability, as PC gaming would move to the new platform with accessories such as lapboards and gyro mice bridging the control gap. This would leave Sony and Nintendo (maybe Sega if they feel like it) to dominate console-style gaming.

What's your opinion on this? Do you see it happening? Do you embrace it or oppose it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Of course it won't happen, and I'd fully oppose it. There are many experiences you can only find on PC's, such as racing and flight simulators.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But with the accessory companies making console peripherals, (more) racing wheels and flight-sticks for consoles aren't very far off. USB opens a HUGE world of possibilities.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From a programming standpoint, that doesn't make any sense. Even if Microsoft blocked DirectX 11 from PCs (which they're not, by the way) the GPU manufacturers would freak out and offer an alternative.

You certainly don't need a framework like DirectX to build a game engine, i took a sophomore level class in college on how to design game engines from scratch. Some enterprising company would step in to fill the gap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC gaming won't be over for a long time. If you think about it, DirectX isn't the only library for making games, just a major one. Even if Microsoft made it excusively for Xbox 360, another library would step up like ProgrammingAce said.

Plus the hardware on a pc is always changing and up to date. Newer, more powerful hardware comes along every few months, while new consoles only come ever couple years. This means, that the best games can always be featurered on a computer, while it may take several years for consoles to catch up to the latest hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Should Microsoft make the Xbox 3 with DirectX 11 as a platform-exclusive,
    Why in the world would they do that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Everytime newer more powerful and admitidly PC like consoles emerge another round of PC as a gaming platform doom ensues. It is not going away because many people own PC, play games on PC's and don't care about consoles............
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Everytime newer more powerful and admitidly PC like consoles emerge another round of PC as a gaming platform doom ensues. It is not going away because many people own PC, play games on PC's and don't care about consoles............
    Well put. Except for maybe the excessive number of periods.

PC gaming is going nowhere.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    PC gaming is going nowhere.
    Haha, I had to read that a few times to understand your meaning. At first I thought you meant PC gaming was dead, as in it's going nowhere. Like, "development for the Gamecube is going nowhere, so we're going to discontinue production."

I see now that you meant PC gaming isn't going anywhere.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC gaming won't go away because PC's, and their components, are the things pushing tech boundaries.

Or to put it another way: PC's are the testing ground for theories, ideas, and inspirations that will go into future game consoles.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    PC gaming won't go away because PC's, and their components, are the things pushing tech boundaries.

Or to put it another way: PC's are the testing ground for theories, ideas, and inspirations that will go into future game consoles.
    I don't remember any PC's with PowerPC processors, other than a few rare IBM's in the mid-90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC gaming is necessary for the moment. A main advantage of the PC is that it is most often a permanent fixture on a desk, where a keyboard/mouse/joystick are easily accessed and stored. The notion of using a mouse and keyboard while sitting on your couch (which I do, btw) doesn't make much sense. What solid surface do you mouse on? Where do you store everything when you're done? There are several types of games that are much better suited to mouse and keyboard (FPS, RTS, FlightSim, MMORPG) and unfortunately, living rooms simply aren't set up for it.

I do firmly believe that as soon as we figure out a better/equally efficient control scheme for all games the PC will definitely be done as a gaming platform. But that seems a long way off.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The only reason PC gaming is suffering is because of a long history of buggy, crappy releases. It's funny that, even as the Windows operating system has become more stable, the games which depend upon it are not. It has nothing to do with DirectX and everything to do with a lack of proper testing and a whole lot of "we'll fix that with a patch after release" nonsense.

Which is why people stop buying PC games when they're released...and they drop in price and don't make as much money...and then people stop producing them...etc., etc.

The only way for the glory days of PC gaming to return at this point is for there to be some sort of "Nintendo Seal" or quality-of-assurance bit that guarantees that the games will at least work. Until then, it will never die - it will just limp / gimp along.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I don't understand how anyone can be an avid PC gamer...unless you have lots and lots of money. I mean, just to keep up with new games you have to have a new PC every 3 months...it is ridiculous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If anything, I could see Microsoft using DirectX on the next Xbox and then making games compatible between the PC and the Xbox3.

One of the reasons arcades died was that gaming shifted from short/quick/fast games to RPG and adventure games, which home consoles and computers were better at delivering. In the future I can see this divide forming between consoles and PCs.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    The only way for the glory days of PC gaming to return at this point is for there to be some sort of "Nintendo Seal" or quality-of-assurance bit that guarantees that the games will at least work. Until then, it will never die - it will just limp / gimp along.
    That was what I had hoped that Games For Windows would be. I still think that they could salvage the concept, but it's not standardized enough for performance and such. Once they start using Vista System Ratings as system requirements, I think that developers can start using console-mentality to optimize for those specs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

OpenGL is a good contender, but can you see all the development studios in a mass-migration?
    There was a time when DOS was the PC game development platform of choice. Then the studios left their tried and true DOS routines and made a mass migration to Windows(becasue of DirectX). When push comes to shove people will make changes. Most graphics engines sit on top of DirectX anyways, so if they have OpenGL or some other support either already existing or added later, then from the programmers point of view, very little will change.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I am a High School teacher and have had the conversation of console vs. pc gaming with some of my students. These "young" kids are dedicated to PC gaming.. swear by it. Sure many of them own PS3, Wii, 360, etc., BUT, they prefer to play PC games (they even prefer PC versions of the games over console games where applicable). Now, I haven't played PC games since Quake came out, and Doom is probably one of my favorites of all time, so I would not be qualified to debate their claims that PC gaming, in terms of graphics and game play, wreck console gaming. Anyone have any thoughts on their claim? Anyway, like some of the other posters said: I don't think PC gaming will go away anytime soon.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC gaming is becoming restricted (DRM) and the diversity of available content is a problem. Console gaming has a system of licensing, so no DRM is required. Yes, the quality of visuals will always be better on PC, but that's just because of hardware revision cycles being shorter.

What I'm trying to get at is that if Microsoft omitted Windows support in DirectX 11, the Xbox 3 would be a replacement for the desktop PC. Essentially, the device would be a gaming pc with licensed games. Where the kids today have a desk in their room for a PC, the tower would be replaced by the gaming machine. The home computer would become the de facto machine for running Office and such, but the gamer's PC would supply email, media, and internet browsing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Personally I don't understand how anyone can be an avid PC gamer...unless you have lots and lots of money. I mean, just to keep up with new games you have to have a new PC every 3 months...it is ridiculous
    It's surprisingly easy if you don't insist on playing every new game as soon as it comes out. But maybe that would make one "not avid".
    The home computer would become the de facto machine for running Office and such, but the gamer's PC would supply email, media, and internet browsing.
    Bah! People have been proposing something like that for years now, and it hasn't happened! Remember the Sega Saturn web browser?

I suppose when high-def TVs become more common (much, much more common than they are now) it might be a little more feasible.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)