Thread: Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Picked this up today along with Dead Space, before seeing any reviews. Came home and saw that IGN game it a 3.2...

After playing for a couple of hours, I've come to the conclusion that it's NOT a 3.2. It isn't "great", but it isn't that bad either. Everything about it, from the level design to the story to the animations, character models, sound effects and cutscenes are mediocre, but it's playable. 3.2, to me, sounds like a broken game, and as far as I've played there's nothing broken about it. That reviewer must have been having a really f'd up day.

Mediocre and unremarkable as a whole? Yes. Terrible? No. I want to continue playing, so that's saying something at least. I gave up on both Dark Kingdom and Genji after about 15 minutes, so I'd say this game is better than both of those, though that may not be saying much. I finished Conan and enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't see how it was so much better than this game. Maybe I'm not being as hard on its flaws as I should be, but I really think this reviewer is blowing them out of proportion.

Make no mistake, I'm not recommending this game at $60, but if you're a hack and slash fiend, like me, and if you go in not expecting much, you may get a kick out of it. Give it a rent or wait until it hits the bargain bins(shouldn't take long). I'm disappointed that we couldn't get a better game with the Golden Axe name, but what can you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, that's ashame... I had really high hopes for this game as a great Sega Revival. Good to hear it isn't as bad as the crazy reviewers would have you believe, though. I had concerns about this game after viewing a Gametrailers preview a couple months ago.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My copy should be here from Gamefly tomorrow, I'll reserve judgment on it until then since I tend to disagree with IGN's reviews.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I knew that this one wasn't going to be that great, based on the lack of advertising and hype, not to mention the god-awful length of the dev cycle. But at least it's decent. Most of us who are H&S fiends are willing to get into a game that's a bit on the 'less mediocre' side since the genre really gets it's appeal from the setting and characters. And even if it's not that special, it is Golden Axe.

I see this one dropping to $30 quick, when I will most likely find a way to get hold of it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also picked this one up, along with Dead Space. I've been playing a lot of God of War 1/2 and Force Unleashed, not to mention Bioshock lately, so, putting Golden Axe in between all of that, and factoring in that I was expecting a hack n' slash, I'd say it's an "average" game. I like it so far, and most likely will pick it up from time to time, slowly playing through whenever the mood strikes. Was it worth $60? Well, if I were to play it through all at once, then, no...however, I'll get my money's worth out-of-it. Dead Space, however? Definitely worth the $60! I had a Wii for a year, and it ended up being a $250 Bowling Machine and my most neglected system, so I traded it in for a 360. Bioshock was the first game in months I felt compelled to play all the way through, and I plan to go back and go for achievements. I plan to play Dead Space through as well, but I'll save that one for the evenings, when it's dark. Golden Axe will be one of those "when I'm in a hack n' slash/beat 'em up" mood games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering Sega's recent track record, I wasn't expecting a return to Sega's golden age, but I hoping this would be better than most of their movie-licensed stuff. Sorry Sega fanboys, but face it, Sega's turned into that old friend from high school or college who's still a party animal while you've matured - you two might remain on good terms, but you're both just too different for the friendship to be what it was.

That being said, I'm glad to hear that this is a decent game. Sega could have easily slapped the Golden Axe name on something as bad as The Golden Compass or Shadow the Hedgehog and called it a day. If I had a PS3, it'd be something I'd be interested in checking out after a price drop or two.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

One less game to pay full price for. I agree that it was predictable that this was unlikely to be a hit...

I was holding out for the PC version of Dead Space which I think releases a week after the 360 version.

Also, I really like Dark Kingdom. I think I am in the minority on this one but I think it is underrated...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked it up with Dead Space and Saint's Row 2 yesterday...but haven't tried it yet but from back of box it looks like a game like Conan...which I enjoyed.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started playing it yesterday, and it is indeed pretty mediocre, though I wouldn't say it's a 3.2 as IGN put it. It feels like a Genesis game, and I don't mean that in a good way. There's basically no story at all, you just go from closed gate to closed gate fighting mostly the same enemies through very similar environments. I don't know if this changes at some point yet, as I've only beaten four levels, but I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't. The beasts themselves are fairly useless, as they die very easily and it's hard to turn around quickly enough to hit enemies that are behind you. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the game. I guess I shouldn't have expected much from it, since Sega farmed it out to the developers who made Iron Man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I picked it up with dead space and fracture at toys r us' sale.

I'd give it about a 5/10- the fighting is fun but quickly gets repetitive, the beasts are fun to ride but hard to control, and you don't use them enough!

I traded it in today at gamestop... figure I can rebuy it if I'm ever wanting to finish it for some nutty reason at a much lower ($20) price point.

Dead Space on the other hand is incredible.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Everyone should know by now that IGN gives crap reviews. Brigandine: Legend of Forsena as well as God Hand both got a 2/10 rating. Both of them are amazing games in which both reviewers must have been pussy gamers who suck at video games, in which the majority of "legitimate gaming sites/magazines are.

-andrew- -kupomogli-

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

god hand a 2! No way! At worst a 7. I will rent this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

god hand had a lot of charm, golden axe does not

most people will not be happy spending $60 on it, but if you can rent it that should clear everything up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    duoconflywheels

I don't think it's great either, but it isn't as bad as some reviews have made it sound. I agree w/ most of the other posters here...though I'm still compelled to play this game over and over. Blame it on the achievements I guess!

Quick question. Anyone know how to "light" the 2nd eye in the big skull door? It's the desert level after you defeat the large troll looking boss.