Thread: Ps3 laser eye broken. What can I expect Sony to charge me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ps3 laser eye broken. What can I expect Sony to charge me?

Well my ps3 laser eye broke. I've used the console maybe 20 hours to play cd's. So i'm pretty pissed off. The rest of the time it has been used to play downloaded content. Even though the lady I talked to at sony said if I didn't have a reciept they would fix it if I had the debit card statement from my bank. This statement doesn't prove I bought a ps3 though. There is just a charge of roughly $428 that says micro solutions. I threw away my receipt like 2 weeks ago because it was in my wallet and all the ink rubbed off and make it unreadable.

After opening the box they sent me to send the system back, in it is a paper that says I MUST have a reciept with the original serial number of the console attached. So I am guessing they are going to make me pay for it. Anyone else had to get a laser eye replacemnt for the ps3 and pay for it? I am curious when they call me to tell me I will have to pay to fix the laser how much it will cost me.

I'm so pissed at sony. I went through literally 5 ps2 systems till I got one that had a working laser eye. Why is Nintendo the only company that can make products that work? At least when my 360 crapped out Xbox didn't ask for anything!! They just said "we'll send you a box, send us the system and it's all taken care of". And when I got my new system they even gave me a free xbox live card. Sony is a bunch of bitches. Like they don't have money to fix these systems they knew would break down. Making me have a receipt is just a way of getting out of fixing systems. Sony needs to man up to there mistakes like Microsoft did.

Shit like this just makes me want to get out of collecting. Why should I collect for these new systems when odds are there going to be broke in 5 years?

Anyway, sorry for venting. I just really need a price quote from someone else who got screwed by sony.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Why is Nintendo the only company that can make products that work?
    Sorry but this made me laugh out loud

Guess you never had the blink,blink,blink, blow three times, blink,blink,blink, blow again Nintendo ?

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Are you sure it is broken?? Due it might just need to be cleaned, you have to buy Maxell Blu-ray lense cleaner. Also it MUST brushless. Also maybe try giving some more info about this, can / cannot it read cds,dvds,ps2,etc... Also try PM Joe see if anyone brought their system in for repair, with this situaion.
    Also YES, sony makes you pay for "repair" if you don't have Proof of Purchase. So many people complain about this issue, but its something all video game owners must deal with. Also according to alot of people of the playstation forum they say it cost $149.00.
    Last edited by Hitman Tyler; 10-20-2008 at 05:42 AM.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    Sorry but this made me laugh out loud

Guess you never had the blink,blink,blink, blow three times, blink,blink,blink, blow again Nintendo ?
    That's cause dirty little snot nosed kids in the 80's traded games and got them all dirty, and then put them in there systems. Mine works perfectly. And my cousin, who had a nes when they cam out, and in the early 90's, never traded or rented games and his system works perfect till this day. He bought the original deluxe set that came with Gyromite and R.O.B.

I'm pretty sure it's broken. It sounds like the system doesn't try to read the disc. Like the laser mechanism is stuck. No type of cd's work at all. I don't think it's the eye, I think it's the mechanism that moves the eye.

And $149 dollars blows. I have seen these lenses on Ebay for $49.00. I may just have to watch a youtube video and do it myself. Fuck the warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    Are you sure it is broken?? Due it might just need to be cleaned, you have to buy Maxwell Blu-ray lense cleaner. Also it MUST brushless. Also maybe try giving some more info about this, can / cannot it read cds,dvds,ps2,etc... Also try PM Joe see if anyone brought their system in for repair, with this situaion.
    Also YES, sony makes you pay for "repair" if you don't have Proof of Purchase. So many people complain about this issue, but its something all video game owners must deal with. Also according to alot of people of the playstation forum they say it cost $149.00.
    Yes I have fixed systems with this problem at Digital Press. And a dirty lens is most often the issue. Worst case is a new drive which would run you about 80 parts and labor. Hell of alot better than what sony will try to offer you.
    Last edited by RyanMurf; 10-19-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It just does not read andthing in cd format. When you insrt a cd of any kind it just eats it and nothing happens. It doesn't even sound like it is trying to read it. Also the Blue light just stays on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Can you try tweaking the potentiometer?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Can you try tweaking the potentiometer?
    huh? What are you talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

huh? What are you talking about?
    It's a variable resistor, usually in the form of a phillips screw, that you turn clock or counter clockwise.

Varying the resistor increases and decreases the resistance (ohms) and "tweaks" (if you want to call it that way) the lens to "read".

Many do this on the Playstation 2 when it stops reading optical media. Usually helps too.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm just gonna go to micro center tomorrow and see if they can pull up my old receipt. I'm not getting my hopes up. There's no way i'm gonna take this thing apart. I remember taking apart my ps2 wasn't easy. I can only imagine the ps3 is harder to put back together. Thanks for the ideas though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Cool

I understand your pain but I just wanted to say that my Wii has been broken three times in just over a year. It sits in my entertainment center well vented, in 72 degrees, all day, everyday. I could say some really bad things about my Wii overall but I wont. As crazy as it sounds my 360 has only RROD once and it works perfectly. (Still a bunch of shit but still...compared to my Wii)
    Last edited by Nick; 10-20-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Yes I have fixed systems with this problem at Digital Press. And a dirty lens is most often the issue. Worst case is a new drive which would run you about 80 parts and labor. Hell of alot better than what sony will try to offer you.
    I kinda figured that the DP store had people with the same problem. BTW: Ryan how much does that cost in total (parts,labor)?
    MY 100th POST:

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

I'm just gonna go to micro center tomorrow and see if they can pull up my old receipt.
    I hope so. BEST of LUCK!
    MY 100th POST:

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    I kinda figured that the DP store had people with the same problem. BTW: Ryan how much does that cost in total (parts,labor)?
    Around 80 total not 100 percent sure because im home next time im working ill pm you the exact amount. Now back to the ps3 issue does it play ps1 games or does it just not play your burned MP3's on a CD? If it plays everything else (blu-ray,ps1,etc.,) then the format your burning in might not be compatible with the PS3. Just a thought.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Around 80 total not 100 percent sure because im home next time im working ill pm you the exact amount. Now back to the ps3 issue does it play ps1 games or does it just not play your burned MP3's on a CD? If it plays everything else (blu-ray,ps1,etc.,) then the format your burning in might not be compatible with the PS3. Just a thought.
    i think hes saying that nothing works, no optical media at all.
    it could also be the thing that spins the disc, not necessarily the laser. either way you can get a new drive and try to do this... or get Ryan to fix it.