Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Games at the Library

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Games at the Library

Does anybody have video games available to check out at their local library? My library recently started carrying Wii and PS2 games. It's kind of nice and saves a few dollars on rentals obviously. I can't reserve games, but otherwise it's been nice so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My library lends out games, but nothing you would want to play. Their selection consists of a couple of crappy Game Boy Advance games. Really, it's quite disappointing.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Really? I haven't been to my library since my freshman year in high school. That's what... uhh over four years ago.. I rather not go, because it brings ... bad memories...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

I remember back in the day checking out Commodore 64 games. The discs seldom worked tho.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    OH SNAP!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

That's really weird. I never thought of a library having games to lend out. You'd figure they'd discourage gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when my local libraries started carrying movies you would normally rent from Blockbusters. Weird times indeed.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Warning--rant ahead.

Do you all actually support this? I really hate it that libraries carry new release dvds, video games, etc. It tends to make the library an even more shady-character hangout then it was before. Public internet terminals also contribute to this, but since it's some folks' only way to use the internet, I can understand that.

If I had my wish, libraries would only contain books, educational movies/documentaries, and a limited selection of cds. The computers would have limited access to the internet, allowing for text-only email and research websites.

The current state of libraries in the states sickens me. Something has to be done to increase the amount of reading done in this country, and tempting kids (and adults) with free video games to check out isn't going to make that happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

boatofcar

I agree with you. Though for a while the library had the only internet I could access/afford (lol), so I think they should keep the computer access open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local library only has a limited selection of really old movies and educational documentaries, with a few on DVD and the majority on VHS (I think the most recent film they have is probably a VHS copy of Ghostbusters). And they certainly don't lend out videogames.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My library (Schaumburg Township District Library) carries XBox, XBox 360, PS2, PS3, Wii and DS. I thought it was weird when I first moved here as I'd never seen a library with games before...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My libraries definitely don't carry any video games, but they do have tons of DVD's. It is definitely the busiest section of the library too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see games at some point. I know they can make the dewey decimal system start at 200 and put the games where the 100's used to go. We don't need Philosophy and Psychology.
    Owner of PriceCharting.com and JJGames.com.
    Video Game Price guides for every game for every system from NES to Xbox 360.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I bet the libraries are picking up games only because they want people to keep comming in there. Libraries have probably slowed down since the beggining of the internet and with things like wikipedia out there, less and less people are actually going to the library. The games and new release videos keep people comming to the library.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    I didn't find this in my search, but it deals with video game displays in the library, not video games for checking out at the library. They're different enough topics.

It does want to make me ask my library if they'd be interested in a display such as this though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NCN View Post
    My library (Schaumburg Township District Library) carries XBox, XBox 360, PS2, PS3, Wii and DS. I thought it was weird when I first moved here as I'd never seen a library with games before...

I'm in Crystal Lake, so close to Schaumburg. At least a handful of libraries in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago have started carrying video games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Warning--rant ahead.

Do you all actually support this? I really hate it that libraries carry new release dvds, video games, etc. It tends to make the library an even more shady-character hangout then it was before. Public internet terminals also contribute to this, but since it's some folks' only way to use the internet, I can understand that.

If I had my wish, libraries would only contain books, educational movies/documentaries, and a limited selection of cds. The computers would have limited access to the internet, allowing for text-only email and research websites.

The current state of libraries in the states sickens me. Something has to be done to increase the amount of reading done in this country, and tempting kids (and adults) with free video games to check out isn't going to make that happen.

I go both ways on this. I teach high school English, so I understand what you're saying about the state of reading in the US. Part of me agrees with you that perhaps libraries should only have books and other educational-type materials.

However, the reality is that for a library to be successful, people have to go there. For libraries to be able to expand, add more space for new books, and keep up with technology, they need to be able to pass referendums. To be able to pass referendums, people have to be interested in the library. Video games, just like DVDs and CDs, help people to become interested in the library.

The way I figure it, people are going to rent, buy , borrow, or steal video games. They're going to play them somehow, but people aren't always going to go to a library. This is another way to get people in the door, and if you get people in the door enough, maybe they'll take a look at a magazine at some point, and then eventually, maybe they'll check out a book. I see any interest in a library as a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Thanks Scoot, I had no idea this was so widespread!

Quote Originally Posted by scooby105 View Post
    I go both ways on this. I teach high school English, so I understand what you're saying about the state of reading in the US. Part of me agrees with you that perhaps libraries should only have books and other educational-type materials.

However, the reality is that for a library to be successful, people have to go there. For libraries to be able to expand, add more space for new books, and keep up with technology, they need to be able to pass referendums. To be able to pass referendums, people have to be interested in the library. Video games, just like DVDs and CDs, help people to become interested in the library.

The way I figure it, people are going to rent, buy , borrow, or steal video games. They're going to play them somehow, but people aren't always going to go to a library. This is another way to get people in the door, and if you get people in the door enough, maybe they'll take a look at a magazine at some point, and then eventually, maybe they'll check out a book. I see any interest in a library as a good thing.
    You make some good points. I guess libraries have to do this to survive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooby105 View Post
    However, the reality is that for a library to be successful, people have to go there. For libraries to be able to expand, add more space for new books, and keep up with technology, they need to be able to pass referendums. To be able to pass referendums, people have to be interested in the library.
    I bet the libraries are picking up games only because they want people to keep comming in there. Libraries have probably slowed down since the beggining of the internet and with things like wikipedia out there, less and less people are actually going to the library. The games and new release videos keep people comming to the library.
    Maybe the sign that fewer and fewer people are going to libraries, and libraries can only survive by turning themselves into free entertainment options, is rather a sign that they should quietly disappear, instead of sucking more taxpayer money?

If the goal is to get people reading books, throwing more non-book options into libraries isn't going to encourage people to read books. Is it really worth taxpayer money to get people free video games, movies, and CD's?

That being said, i think the internet access in libraries is a good thing. Society is more and more dependent on the internet - when was the last time you had a question about a company (a retail store, a hotel, what movies were playing), or about something in general (a disease, a piece of history, locations of parks) and you actually called their office to ask the question? The internet improves anyone's access to information, even better than free access to books does.