Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RPG List for the Xbox 360

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Accurate and reliable descriptions of the deluxe sets are always a pain in the butt. I have Enchanted Arms and Tales of Vesperia, but none of the others; and the question if the games in the deluxe sets are identical with the standard versions I don't even wanna mention.

I corrected the insufficient and inaccurate description of Mass Effect, but I would like to ask you to check the descriptons of the sets you have!

Anything misleading in there or some items forgotten?

...and here are some specific Qs about the sets after I checked online pics and item content:

Does Fable 2 come in a cardboard box or is there only a cardboard slip cover over the regular game?

Right or wrong? The Fallout 3 "survival edition" (Amazon exclusive) isn’t an edition variant, but just comes with the digital clock as a bonus item separately packaged from the collector’s edition. ($50 more for the clock? uh, that hurts)

Does Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion come in a slip cover over the foldout cardboard or does it come in a cardboard box?
    Last edited by lendelin; 10-23-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Let the definition debate begin. I know that you address carlcarlson, and, honestly, I don't mean it in a belittling way at all. Actually, I like discussions about genre definitions because most of them are antiquated.

However, you know that we are then in a discussion about a definition of a RPG, and that will be lenghty, and I'm afraid we will sacrifice the inclusionary character of the list on the altar of consistency based on an (all-agreed?) definition.

Dangerous, dangerous... but I don't try to discourage such a discussion at all.

Here is my question about a specific case and I don't know if the game should be included. Sudo suggested Too Human. After reading reviews, I'm still on the edge on this one. I'd tend to put it in a borderline category.
    I'd say Too Human is definitely an Action RPG if you consider KUF and Marvel Ultimate Alliance RPGs. It has leveling up, stats, branching skill trees, dynamic loot drops, etc.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love your PS2 RPG topic so I'm happy to help with this one.

Does Fable 2 come in a cardboard box or is there only a cardboard slip cover over the regular game?
    Cardboard slip. The cover insert is different from the regular game too.

Right or wrong? The Fallout 3 "survival edition" (Amazon exclusive) isn’t an edition variant, but just comes with the digital clock as a bonus item separately packaged from the collector’s edition. ($50 more for the clock? uh, that hurts)
    First image for the SE on amazon looks like a mock-up for a large box judging by the size of the ESRB rating. Here's to hoping for exclusive packaging.

Does Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion come in a slip cover over the foldout cardboard or does it come in a cardboard box?
    It's a book-style slipcover.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Collector's Edition comes in a foldout cardboard in a cardboard box. Included is a bonus DVD with a making of featurette, "A Pocket Guide to the Empire and its Environs" guidebook, map and a Akatosh coin of the empire.

Two Worlds 2 Disk Collector's Edition comes similarly packaged with a bonus dvd, map, 48 hour XBL Gold membership with Two Worlds artwork on it, and a "Two Worlds Tabletop RPG" hardcover book.

Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition comes in a tin with a plastic slip cover. Included is bonus content DVD, "Galactic Codex: Essentials Edition 2183" guidebook and a "Mass Effect - A Future Imagined" artbook.
    Last edited by esquire; 10-23-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added to the regular list and the deluxe set list Fallout 3. Also added to the regular list was Too Human.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    I'd say Too Human is definitely an Action RPG if you consider KUF and Marvel Ultimate Alliance RPGs. It has leveling up, stats, branching skill trees, dynamic loot drops, etc.
    You're right. I added the title to the regular list. Thanks!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuchikoma View Post
    Love your PS2 RPG topic so I'm happy to help with this one.

Cardboard slip. The cover insert is different from the regular game too.

First image for the SE on amazon looks like a mock-up for a large box judging by the size of the ESRB rating. Here's to hoping for exclusive packaging.

It's a book-style slipcover.
    Thanks so much! I used your information describing the sets. One question about Fable II though: The cover of the actual game is the same as the standard version, right?

The Amazon special edition of Fallout 3 looks just like the regular special edition with the clock as a bonus item. I didn't see special packaging that would include the clock. But if you know or even get it, let us know! In the case that the clock is part of a special packaging the amazon edition would be indeed a variant of a deluxe set.
    Last edited by lendelin; 10-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Collector's Edition comes in a foldout cardboard in a cardboard box. Included is a bonus DVD with a making of featurette, "A Pocket Guide to the Empire and its Environs" guidebook, map and a Akatosh coin of the empire.

Two Worlds 2 Disk Collector's Edition comes similarly packaged with a bonus dvd, map, 48 hour XBL Gold membership with Two Worlds artwork on it, and a "Two Worlds Tabletop RPG" hardcover book.

Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition comes in a tin with a plastic slip cover. Included is bonus content DVD, "Galactic Codex: Essentials Edition 2183" guidebook and a "Mass Effect - A Future Imagined" artbook.
    Thanks! I changed important tiny bits of the descriptions based on your information.

Two questions: I read that Two Worlds also includes a pen and a dice. Is this the case?

...and for Mass Effect you described one of the books as a guidebook while I read that it is a fiction book. Is it actually a guide or a combination of both?

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much! I used your information describing the sets. One question about Fable II though: The cover of the actual game is the same as the standard version, right?
    Yep. Game disc is the same in both versions.

And Fallout 3 Survival Edition is a variant. The CE lunchbox bundle and Pipboy both come in one box with a 360/PS3/PC cardboard slipcover.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't the original Fable on XBL?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuchikoma View Post
    And Fallout 3 Survival Edition is a variant. The CE lunchbox bundle and Pipboy both come in one box with a 360/PS3/PC cardboard slipcover.
    Is this really a variant? Looks to me like a shipping box with special writing on it. If Amazon would have just written 'Amazon' on the cardboard it certainly wouldn't be a variant of the collector's edition.

But this? Even with the title and some graphics it still looks like a shipping box. Is it a deluxe shipping box or a very cheap special edition variant? I really don't know.

Last edited by lendelin; 10-28-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing a lot of Castle Crashers lately and I'm wondering if it could be classified as an rpg. To me it seems very similar to Odin Sphere. You kill enemies for experience to level up, gather loot from bodies, assign stat points to different attributes, and buy weapons/potions/upgrades. I realize it's also firmly in the beat-em-up category, but is the scale tipped one way or the other?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I decided to put Amazon's "Fallout 3 Survival Edition" in the list of the deluxe sets as an edition variant.

It is a shipping box with printing on it, no doubt, BUT on the box it has
    a) the 360 logo
    b) the title
    c) graphics
    d) developer and publisher and
    e) the ESRB rating.

I still think this is just a pre-order bonus set, but the special
    packaging suggests to regard it as an edition variant; and who am I to decide if the packaging is cheap, worthy or unworthy to count as a variant? That's an arbitrary issue of quality and taste.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Isn't the original Fable on XBL?
    Yes, but in the list of downloadables should be only original Xbox 360 titles and titles exclusively available as downloads. Fable is neither.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I've been playing a lot of Castle Crashers lately and I'm wondering if it could be classified as an rpg. To me it seems very similar to Odin Sphere. You kill enemies for experience to level up, gather loot from bodies, assign stat points to different attributes, and buy weapons/potions/upgrades. I realize it's also firmly in the beat-em-up category, but is the scale tipped one way or the other?
    I looked at the IGN video and review, and read carefully the review.

I think the scale tips to the beat-em-up category although there are significant RPG elements, no doubt. But the feel, atmosphere and gameplay is strongly in the beat-em-up world.

It comes down to this: would you, others and me like to see the title in an RPG list? Would it feel right? ...and for me, it just wouldn't feel right although the 'assign stats' point is a strong one.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Castle Crashers is just a Beat 'em Up/Hack N' Slash with RPG elements in it. It's all about the button mash, not anything else. You could beat the game with without using any of those RPG elements (leveling up and not assigning the points) though it would be hard as hell towards the end.

It's not treated as an RPG on other sites, so i'd not call it one here.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I looked at the IGN video and review, and read carefully the review.

I think the scale tips to the beat-em-up category although there are significant RPG elements, no doubt. But the feel, atmosphere and gameplay is strongly in the beat-em-up world.

It comes down to this: would you, others and me like to see the title in an RPG list? Would it feel right? ...and for me, it just wouldn't feel right although the 'assign stats' point is a strong one.
    Just shove it in the border-line category.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Added. Thanks, Daria! I didn't follow at all the RPGs exclusively available as downloads. (except for Phantasy Star) I should have known that NO strategy RPG slips through your fingers. I even had to go to the official Xbox site to get the information on the game.
    Hah! I bought it during a dry period and was intrigued by it's similarities to Vandal Hearts.

You also left off Penny Arcade. Shame. Shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a good point, it doesn't feel quite right to put it on an rpg list to me either. Of course that's a weak way of determining things, but we both agree so who cares!

I wonder if you should differentiate between titles depending on exclusivity. It seems like a lot more games are cross-platform now, so it would be kind of interesting to see which ones remain 360 exclusives.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Hah! I bought it during a dry period and was intrigued by it's similarities to Vandal Hearts.

You also left off Penny Arcade. Shame. Shame.
    Added. Keep 'em coming. The more ashamed I am, the better I'm off. (lowers his head in shame and apologizes to honorable RPG developers and gamers)