Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Neo Geo games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worst Neo Geo games

This will probably be a tough one. Since not many people own a Neo Geo. But for those that do have one, or have played a lot of games on it..

What do you think the worst games on it are?

AND if you had to choose, which would you say is THE worst one. Period.

Please try and give some reasons why as well
    Last edited by elvis8atari; 10-23-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Deadpixels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    This will probably be a tough one. Since not many people own a Neo Geo. But for those that do have one, or have played a lot of games on it..

What do you think the worst games on it are?

AND if you had to choose, which would you say is THE worst one. Period.
    Love the Neo, it's probably my favorite system of all time.

Though this is pretty much tantamount to calling one of my children an ugly, bowlegged, rapscallion, I'll bite.

Art of Fighting
    Fatal Fury (Love it, but it has aged terribly)
    Super Spy (Repetitive as all hell)
    Cyber Lip
    Legend of Success Joe

Even if these are the worst games on the system, I'm still a sucker for the majority of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about the quiz games? I assume those are some of the crappiest on the system. I also have to echo how poorly Fatal Fury has aged, great for its time but doesn't hold up anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, by no means was I trying to bash the Neo Geo. In fact, I've only played games I've enjoyed on it. Which is why I made this thread. I know there has to be a bunch of games that aren't good. I'm just wondering what they are...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    How about the quiz games? I assume those are some of the crappiest on the system. I also have to echo how poorly Fatal Fury has aged, great for its time but doesn't hold up anymore.
    I haven't played any of the quiz games as I have zero knowledge of the Japanese language. I've heard the Mahjong games are actually quite good though. I'd love to try Quiz King of Fighters barring the language barrier.

@Elvis

It's really impossible to say this without sounding like a rabid fanboy but I'm not surprised that's how you feel. In my opinion the Neo really does have an insane amount of quality software considering its small library (only about 177 games.)

While you'll definitely find a few flops on the hardware, the vast majority of the games on the system are a blast to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm probably one of the few who adore Art of Fighting 1 - I had it on AES and Turbo Duo import at one point. I now have it on MVS and VC.

AoF 2 and 3 didn't really do anything for me, but I really liked 1's different approach to a fighting game. It was more 1 hit and move, rather than combo savvy.

I haven't played it, but I hear there's a CG type fighting game that's terrible...Rakguki or something...

Nam 1975 was great up until the last boss - then it became the suckiest, hardest game ever.

Sengoku has no flow, and get sold after a minute.

I can't think of any real *awful* games though, some poor ones, but nothing Bold Games wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering the price of Neo Geo software, I tend to make sure that it's a definate 100% worthwhile purchase before spending the cash.

I think the most mediocre games I've played were Aero Fighters 2 and Top Hunter. I'd also stay far away from Ghost Pilots too; that really is crap.

Now go play some Last Blade or Garou and marvel in the wonders of SNK at it's very best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    I'm probably one of the few who adore Art of Fighting 1 - I had it on AES and Turbo Duo import at one point. I now have it on MVS and VC.

AoF 2 and 3 didn't really do anything for me, but I really liked 1's different approach to a fighting game. It was more 1 hit and move, rather than combo savvy.

I haven't played it, but I hear there's a CG type fighting game that's terrible...Rakguki or something...

Nam 1975 was great up until the last boss - then it became the suckiest, hardest game ever.

Sengoku has no flow, and get sold after a minute.

I can't think of any real *awful* games though, some poor ones, but nothing Bold Games wise.
    The pre-rendered fighter you're thinking of would be Ragnagard. I haven't heard much good about that one myself.

AoF is a fun game, don't get me wrong, but, like Fatal Fury, it's so embarrassingly stiff and robotic.I have to admit though, the other night I played through Fatal Fury in my big red and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sengoku is the game that made me fall in love with the Neo, so I have to admit I'm really partial to it. I have to disagree with you about the flow of the game, jumping between ruined cityscapes and feudal Japanese battlefields in the clouds always made the game feel so epic, at least in my opinion. My main beef with the title is the fact that it is beyond cheap, any samurai enemy with a sword can kill you in short order, no matter how much of a drop you feel you had on them. It's unbalanced as hell, but i love it all the same.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpixels View Post
    Love the Neo, it's probably my favorite system of all time.

Though this is pretty much tantamount to calling one of my children an ugly, bowlegged, rapscallion, I'll bite.

Art of Fighting
    Fatal Fury (Love it, but it has aged terribly)
    Super Spy (Repetitive as all hell)
    Cyber Lip
    Legend of Success Joe

Even if these are the worst games on the system, I'm still a sucker for the majority of them.
    Art of Fighting?!

TAKE IT BACK! That game is AWESOME.

Edit:
    Read your explanation. You're... forgiven. For now. ;p

The only game I can think of would be Super Sidekicks 2. The game was fine, but the Chance scoring screen was horribly broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

The neo has quite a few bad games and the majority of its library seems to be mediocre in quality but still I enjoy even these mediocre titles. And the excellent titles (Mark of the wolves! Metal slug series) are incredible and make the system worthwhile. I finally acquired one just this week haven't had a chance to play it yet though

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For a long time, when I played a Neo Geo game (Usually a ROM) I kept in mind "this was a $200.00 cartridge" and I thought "would this be worth $200.00?" as I played. For example, when I played Burning Fight, I thought of all the SNES games I could buy with the $150 or whatever that cart costs at the time. I remember feeling bad, just thinking of paying $200.00 for Aggressors of Dark Combat while playing a ROM.

But now I have a better understanding of why these games were made, which was to make money for an arcade operator; I have a better understanding of arcade game value and just what arcade enthusiasts are investing in. So I'm not so hard on them now but I do tend to keep that mentality when buying Neo Geo games, I've never paid more than $80.00 for a Neo cartridge, so my collection consists of older AES games (Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury Special, etc.) and a pretty good selection of MVS titles minus things like Blazing Star and Sengoku 3. (I hate how the recent MVS titles are primarily sold by collectors, thus always in complete kit form when all I want is a cartridge)

Having said all that, I think the worst Neo Geo game I've played would be Fight Fever, it looked and felt so cheap. It's been a long time though, I may gave to give that one another shot.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There's nothing inherently wrong with quiz games, or any genre of gaming. If they accomplish what they set out to do and do it well, then they've created a good game. Not everyone may find it fun, but not everyone has the same tastes either.

I gotta say you guys are lucky if Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury are the worst Neo Geo games you've played. o_O Just within the fighting genre alone, give Fight Fever and Ragnagard a try. Good God are those games awful.

Insert Coin (Level 0) figment1988's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of Success Joe was imho, the worst Neo-Geo game ever. i thought it was all boxing until the mediocre final fight-esque scenes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm fortunate never to have played Success Joe, so I'll say that the worst, most boring and dullest games I've played on the Neo-Geo have been Ninja Combat and Ghost Pilots. Joy Joy Kid is down on the list as well, due to its frustrating nature and "wrong" feel that's just so unlike Tetris.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Many of them still go for a couple hundred bucks but yes at least some are pretty cheap. Nice thing about these games is they seem to hold value and in the case of MVS could make you money if setup in public location.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i for one have never been a fan of Sengoku. Never thought it was much fun to play, and i didnt see anything that a Snes could not do. Not impressed at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

The Super Spy i should say the stupid spy The game play is very repetitive no variety in the bad guys and the levels all look the same.

Not to mention i owned the game twice once when i had a aes and then again on mvs.

Though afther the second time i sold it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Owning a bunch of retro systems causes me to have to keep some stored away and rotate at times for playing. My Neo Geo CD stays out and ready for a rumble. I'm a gamer that loves the arcade type games. The King of Fighters, Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout Special, Last Blade, love those games.

Some say that Robo Army is bad, but again I love playing it. Far east of Eden, Last Resort, or Sengoku 2 are some that I regularly play. The Samurai Spirit series has become my top favorites. Some have blasted the World Heroes series, but when I played one on an original Neo Geo I could not help but like them. Some have said that Gangan is bad, but again I find it enjoyable.

I even enjoy Sonic Wings 2 and Top Hunter. I often wonder what it is about the Neo Geo games that I find so addicting. You cannot repeat the arcade experience in your own home. That experience being, the adrenaline rush of trying to get the most gameplay as you can out of the limited amount of quarters that you have in your pocket. Owning the same arcade stand up is just not the same if you can retrieve the money afterward. Maybe it is the 2D gaming, the hand drawn sprites, the animation, the life in each background.

No matter which game is bad to one player, there seems to be another player out there that finds the game fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far this is what we got for bad NeoGeo games it seems

Neo Geo
    Cyber-Lip
    Ghost Pilots
    King of Kings (fight fever)
    Legend of Success Joe
    Ninja Combat
    Ragnagard
    Robo Army
    Sengoku
    The Super Spy

Neo Geo CD
    Joy Joy Kid
    Gangan

Anything else ?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Cyber-Lip is awesome. o_O I just wish the ending didn't terrify me so much.