View Poll Results: Who is losing the most ground?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • GameCube

39 57.35%
  • PS2

4 5.88%
  • Xbox

25 36.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What current system do you feel is 'losing the battle"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default What current system do you feel is 'losing the battle"

With E3 going on right now, the public is going to see where each current system is going with their gaming. With the current consoles being out now for over a year and a half,(PS2 a year more) What system do you feel is going in the wrong direction? Feel free to be passionate and speak your mind, that is what this country is all about!!!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

@swlovinist: hope you don't mind - I turned your thread into a poll. It just seemed very appropriate!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know both Xbox and GCN are losing money so it is between them for me.I am having more fun with my Xbox so I am gonan go with GCN,but not by much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that Sony is going in the wrong direction. Yes I know they have outsold the other two by a large marign, but they have had the most problems with their systems. I work at a retail store and we sell all 3 about equally, however, I see 3 to 4 times more defective PS2's on a weekly basis than I do the other two.

My point being this would be the 2nd console Sony has made that has had problems. What I don't understand is how can they cheat their customers the way they do. I had a problem with my system and had to pay for shipping and repairs and shipping back cost me over $100 just to get my system back. NOT very good service.

I have all 3 and would honestly say I play all 3 equal amounts. However, unless Sony starts to improve quality of their system they will see there competition slowly getting closer.

Just my 2 cents.

Dig Dug
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I love all 3 of the new systems..I play/use them about the same..

But..If I had to say one of them was losing the battle..It would have to be the GameCube..
    But I still think it's a Kick ass system..with many games that I love to play..

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sony is at least in the wrong direction. I apparently lucked out *knock on wood* with my PS2 not having any issues, but dammit the amount of defective ones my store gets in are insane. Dear gods...

However, the two systems getting the most play from me lately are my Saturn and GBA SP. Go figure...

-AdamG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I voted Gamecube even though its my favorite current gen system. Nintendo has made some serious mistakes in the past years, first being making N64 a cart-based system. Too expensive, nowhere near as much room to work with... then they made the gamecube. I love it... I have 8 wonderful games for it and I plan on getting quite a few more before the system runs its course... but when they made it really small, marketed towards kids or not, it looks like a toy. I know they've tried completely in vain to convince people it's not a kids toy, but people don't listen.

If their next system isn't the biggest, meanest, most intimidating console on the market, they're done. Many of the developers have already stated they wont work on games for non-nintendo platforms... so I hope they get it right next time around. You know what though, I hate saying that. Point is, videogames aren't for little kids anymore. Little kids don't want to be playing little kid's games, they want to play what their big brother/sister or mother/father is playing.

If they don't have a seriously mature excellent launch title for their next system that has fangs and will eat your cat if left unchecked, say goodbye to Mario, Samus, Link, Fox and all the other nintendo mascots, they won't be on any other platform.

As for E3, Gamecube is kicking serious ass, but only the gaming community knows that, the people who have their Xbox with halo and a couple sports titles, or PS2 with Tekken Tag, GTA and a couple sports titles don't care... and they account for a huge chunk of system sales. Sucks, but it's true.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GC for me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Again, though I love the system, the Gamecube seems to be on a downward spiral. Several companies are scaling back or cutting out releases altogether, and this new focus on GBA-Gamecube connectivity (as fun as that Pac-Man update sounds) just doesn't seem like it has a chance in hell of catching on sales-wise with the general public. And oh yeah, I hate them for rationing out their popular titles (Starfox, Mario Kart, Metroid) to the tune of one-per-season.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Evil_Skrilla

I would say the PS2.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

REALLY surprised at the amount of PS2 replies (even if the votes don't show it)

Gamecube has a decent lineup for first party games, but face it, Nintendo is going uphill through molassess in winter with a broken leg both ways to school. Gamecube has the american wannabe's and some sports fans, and PC gamers who don't like console games. Nintendo is trying for kids still, and STILL won't admit that most gamers AREN'T kids...
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Six Switch
    I know both Xbox and GCN are losing money so it is between them for me.I am having more fun with my Xbox so I am gonan go with GCN,but not by much.
    As far as I know, Nintendo has made a profit every year for a while...but I could be wrong.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I love my Gamecube. I play it the most out of the 3 systems and I think it has the best games, but I'm sad to say its the losing system. Nintendo has always been and will always be stubborn when it comes to change and it will eventually do them in. But as long as they make games, I'll buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Gamecube as well. System I've been playing the most is the Xbox. System I still have yet to buy is the Playstation 2. I was hoping for a bigger price drop to be announced for the PS2. I want one now that Koei released PTO IV for the PS2 only. Ooooh well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaah guys, don't look only at the american market *****

if this question means losing the most money, it's by far the xbox, no discussion possible

if it means losing ground in the console market, it has to be a close fight between ps2 and xbox, ps2 because it is not half as dominant as the ps was and it has so much problems, technically, if not all those kids who started playing videogames with psx had bought the ps2, it would be a major flop

xbox is ms first console but it does not do half as good as ms wanted, and afaik ms has not yet decided wether to make a xbox2 or not, bigN and Sony have

the winner of this war really is the cube, just compare it to the n64 and u'll see what i mean, PLUS nintendo doesn't make any loss on their cubes (something ms and sony can just dream of)

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love all my new "modern" systems, but the financial "troubles" the Xbox is having lately would make my vote go towards the Xbox. Maybe it's just where I live, but I don't see may new releases for the Xbox either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the same thing (or at least similar) happen to the 3DO and the Jaguar? That's what all this Xbox money woes reminds me of for some reason.

The fact that Sony and MS have dropped their prices on their consoles so early in the year (traditionally closer to the holidays) seems fishy to me. No plans from Nintendo to cut their prices on their cube, but announcing a Cube 2 already? That's seems awfully quick. I don't know. The whole video game market seems wonky lately, IMO.
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm voting for GameCube from an Australian market perspective. I know it's doing great in the US, Japan and Europe - but it's dying here in Oz.

Remember the last days of the Dreamcast? That's what the GameCube situation is like here. Stores are heavily discounting software and hardware. Some stores are no longer stocking GameCube. Many rental stores no longer have GCN games. Some stores only have limited software variety (ie: first party titles). Accessories are becoming impossible to find.

The situation is terrible, plus add a lack of advertising and Nintendo Australia's unwillingness to do anything about it just makes matters worse.

Plus I'm dissatisfied with the GCN's software lineup. All their 'premiere' titles have lacked longevity (eg: Super Mario Sunshine, StarFox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin). GCN also seems to have the crappiest third-party software of the lot. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was a complete disaster/flop in my opinion. Never liked it from the start. Currently, the only good recent release has been Metroid Prime - top notch stuff there. Future games wise the only two that I'm looking forward to are F-Zero GX and Namco's StarFox.

That said, since the GCN's doing so poorly here, it means good news for Australian collectors (eg: me).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

My point being this would be the 2nd console Sony has made that has had problems. What I don't understand is how can they cheat their customers the way they do. I had a problem with my system and had to pay for shipping and repairs and shipping back cost me over $100 just to get my system back. NOT very good service.
    I would take issue with that, based on my experience, their service is awesome.
    I bought a PS2 on launch day, of course I had the well known problem with dual layer DVD9 movies skipping.
    Because I had other DVD players in the house, this just wasn't a big issue.
    Last Nov. I decided that it really was an issue, so I called Sony and told them that I had bought a launch date PS2, and that like so many others, I had problems with the DVD playback.
    I explained that it had always done it, but it never really concerned me until now.
    I also explained that I was an owner of a PSone, a PS2 and several other Sony Electronics products and that I wanted to make sure I was giving my business to a company that stood behind their products.

I was told to send my console to the Sony depot in Whitby, Ont.
    I sent it by courier it cost me $16 Can.

48 Hours later I had a brand new v4 console.
    I had sent them a launch day v1 that I had purchased over two years ago.
    It was not under warranty anymore, they just sent me a brand new console.
    How is that not GREAT service?

That being said, IMHO, the console getting its a$$ handed to it is GCN.

I look back and at the time of the NES, Nintendo was the dominant vg company in the world.

The mistake Nintendo has made since that time, and which is amplified on the GC is that they still cater to the same market they did with the NES.
    Sony on the other hand, cashed in on all the gamers that Nintendo hooked with the NES, by growing with them.

The younsters playing NES in the late 80's are now 20-30 somethings who want to play games like GTA or Tekken or MOHAA or whatever.
    Now, todays youngsters see their parents/siblings playing these games and they want to play them.
    Nintendo in a way is a victim of its own early success, much of the enthusiasm for video games it inspired with the NES is being harvested by Sony.
    To offer an analogy, the first Star Wars film in nearly 20 years, the Phantom Menace, was blasted for the annoying (in the eyes of many) Jar Jar Binks.
    In the first installments, cutesy type characters like R2 and C3PO, appealed to the young audience for which it was intended.

20 years later those youngsters are grown ups and the new gen cutesy character is annoying as hell.

Maybe not the best analogy but one that serves as a reminded that you should always remember the audience you are playing to.

Not that there is no market for kids games, but there is little market (as GCN is finding out) for exclusively kiddie games.

/rant off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oooo, hard to answer objectively. The PS2 so far isn't showing any sign of "losing ground". Both Xbox and Gamecube are both struggling for the next rung in the ladder. Both of those systems, in their own ways, are losing ground.

The Gamecube, as others have mentioned, is having an identity crisis when it comes to who their audience is. I don't see this GBA connectivity thing really getting off the ground and becoming as popular as Nintendo hopes. With companies questioning their exclusitivity in their titles for the GC and with a majority of the bombshells already been dropped, it doesn't look all rosey for the Cube and I don't think Pikachu and company aren't going to save it.

Xbox, while it is a solid system, is losing money hand over fist. Few major exclusive titles, somewhat lackluster 1st party games, many major titles not being released until 2004- it's not pretty. There are some pretty kick-ass games coming to the system, but will it be too late to make an impact?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without question it is the Gamecube. Don't get me wrong the Gamecube
    has some great games, Metroid and the lastest Zelda game just to name
    2. But if there sales don't pick up soon, I fear the Gamecube will go the way
    of the Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel it's the Xbox because they haven't made any money on it yet.
    And I'd also say the Xbox if I go by my brothers/friends/people I know/etc.
    Everyone ran out and got a PS2 or picked up a Gamecube. Locally, Willie is the only person I know with an Xbox.