Thread: Just Breed reproduction question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Default Just Breed reproduction question

I bought a reproduction of this game on NESreproductions with the donor cart Gemfire. When I play the repro on my original NES (Toaster), the music is very different. Like if a layer of music was missing. To me, that make the game barely enjoyable at all.

Here's a short video I made to show the differences.

Video of the game running on an emulator: click here
    Video of the actual repro: click here

I returned the game. And I'm not too satisfied with the answer I got from the guy at NESreproduction. The answer I got, was that the NES doesn't have extra sound channels like the Famicom so it can't output the same quality of music. I already knew about that, but what's the point of making a reproduction of a game if you can't play it correctly on your NES system? He also said he will warn futur buyers of the Just Breed repro about the problem which he didn't know about because I was the first who complained about it...

I don't mean any offense at all. I always had good service in the past from this site, but I am not too sure if I should accept this answer? I mean, this repro cost me more than 70$! And he returns it like everything is normal and I should accept it like that. I bought 12 repro in the past, and I have a hard time accepting this one as it is... I am very disappointed with this one...

Did anyone of you bought a Just Breed repro in the past with the Gemfire cart as a donor (from NES or Gamereproductions). And did you have any problem with the game? Does my game really have a problem, or all Just Breed repro are like that?
    Last edited by BrYaN55; 10-30-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds plausible to me. It's not like you can make an egg sing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Sounds plausible to me. It's not like you can make an egg sing.
    I don't say it's impossible though. But are other reproductions of Just Breed like that? If the other reproductions works fine, then the extra sound channel thing doesn't apply...

And if all the Just Breed repro sound like that when reproduced, well, I'm gonna accept it, but would regret buying it. Personally, I don't see the point to buy a repro if it's not working right... I'll rather play on emulator...
    Last edited by BrYaN55; 10-30-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nes cart slot has no audio in so no channels can be added...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

nes cart slot has no audio in so no channels can be added...
    Well I don't know, maybe I don't explain myself well. My english is not perfect . To make it very simple:

-My Just Breed repro sound bad.

-Suposedly, it may be related to the NES lacking extra sound channels so it can't output the music right like the Famicom would.

-I am not 100% sure about this.

-So I want to know if other people's reproductions sound as bad as mine or if they work whitout a problem.

-If they work with no problem, then my reproduction is just broken or wrong. Otherwise, that would explain it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrYaN55 View Post
    Well I don't know, maybe I don't explain myself well. My english is not perfect . To make it very simple:

-My Just Breed repro sound bad.

-Suposedly, it may be related to the NES lacking extra sound channels so it can't output the music right like the Famicom would.

-I am not 100% sure about this.

-So I want to know if other people's reproductions sound as bad as mine or if they work whitout a problem.

-If they work with no problem, then my reproduction is just broken or wrong. Otherwise, that would explain it.
    sound bad since nes doesnt have the extra sound channels which famicom has..

famicom would output sound 100% like you have heard on emulator...

it's allways good to ask questions...

everybody elses repros would probably be the same, as the nes doesnt have the same capacity of sound channels the famicom has...

reproduction probably not broken, nes lacks sound channels famicom has and for some people the difference is un-noticable

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understood you well.

What I'm saying is: The NES lacks the sound channels of that of the Famicom and CAN'T add them.

So, the sound will NEVER be there.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You would encounter this same issue if you had tried to play the original Japanese Famicom cart of this game on your original NES. Another good example would be Sunsoft's Gimmick!, the extra audio channels that comprise its music would be lost when played on a Nintendo NES, North American or European.

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrYaN55 View Post

Did anyone of you bought a Just Breed repro in the past with the Gemfire cart as a donor (from NES or Gamereproductions). And did you have any problem with the game? Does my game really have a problem, or all Just Breed repro are like that?

I have not yet sold any Just Breeds (GameReproductions.com) so no one should say they have bought one from me =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    You would encounter this same issue if you had tried to play the original Japanese Famicom cart of this game on your original NES. Another good example would be Sunsoft's Gimmick!, the extra audio channels that comprise its music would be lost when played on a Nintendo NES, North American or European.

Yes I have Gimmick! and I love this game!

I wasn't sure if it was really a missing sound channel issue or not. Not every Famicom game use them. I assumed out of nowhere that games who require a special chip or extra sound channel would not be reproduced because of problems like that. That's why Gradius II, Crisis Force, Gimmick!, Hebereke, and other games like that, even if very popular, were not offered in repro format.

I still wonder what's the point of making a reproduction if the game does not work properly...

sound bad since nes doesnt have the extra sound channels which famicom has..

famicom would output sound 100% like you have heard on emulator...

it's allways good to ask questions...

everybody elses repros would probably be the same, as the nes doesnt have the same capacity of sound channels the famicom has...

reproduction probably not broken, nes lacks sound channels famicom has and for some people the difference is un-noticable
    I'm still curious to hear peoples who have this repro to see how it sound. It's not un-noticable really, it's very evident. The "melodic" part is completely missing. But in a way, I hope everybody else repro is the same lol Not that I wish them bad, but just because it will make me accept my repro a little more hehe

Insert Coin (Level 0) papa_november's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't have returned it. The extra sound channels are provided by the mapper chip inside the cartridge. The problem is that the EXSOUND pin on the cartridge slot isn't used on a US NES, so you won't hear any of the extra audio.

There's a workaround for this problem, but you have to make a minor modification or two to your NES motherboard. Look in the NESDEV forums for details.
    Last edited by papa_november; 12-01-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He didn't listen to any of us. Who's to say he would have listened to you?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He didn't listen to any of us. Who's to say he would have listened to you?
    You bought a cart as a reproduction of the original, you just don't have the right hardware to run it, The original cart wouldn't work on your toaster either, So the repro is exactly what you asked for.

Did you explain to the seller that you were going to play this on a toaster and ask him if the sound would work?

In other words, do your own homework. You were sold exactly what you asked for.

Even then, the seller seems to have offered you a refund. I don't really see the issue here.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 12-01-2008 at 12:21 PM.