Thread: Wii Leaps Over N64 To Become Fifth Best Selling Console Of All Time

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'm not sure it can beat the PS2 but it may get 2 or more likely 3rd? Crazy that the N64 was in the top five.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Dont know, dont care if it'll outsell the PS1 or the PS2 but the Wii is tearing the 360 and PS3 each a new one so far It doesnt have to be the best selling of all time to win this generation's war.

N64 was a system I did not love by any means. It had potential but I always felt it was weak even compared to previous sytems released by Nintendo. Coming off the SNES, I wanted RPGs, Strategy games, and shooters. May as well have gotten a Genesis. It had a horrid RPG/Strat liabrary and while there were games from those genres as well as shooters, some of the best games from all three were left in Japan. The controler always felt retarded with some of the control options not even being used, or when used, done so in such a poor maner as to be useless. I wanted to like the system originaly but I'm glad I waited to get one till the system was long dead. I still feel I missed nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I'm not sure it can beat the PS2 but it may get 2 or more likely 3rd? Crazy that the N64 was in the top five.
    I don't see the Wii passing the Playstation 1 or 2, Heck I don't want it to beat the Snes in sales especially since the wii doesn't hold a candle to the snes or the nes.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

The Wii won't beat either Playstation for one particular reason: it isn't breaking down often enough that people are just buying new ones to replace them...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I think the N64 was a great console at the time (I was into PC's by that point so I never owned one), but it hasn't aged well. I finally got my hands on a N64 a few years ago, played the three or four games I wanted to play (Conker, Castlevania, Zelda, etc.) and then promptly traded it for a bunch of CoCo stuff (crap for crap I guess).

I doubt the Wii will ever pass the PS2. The PS2 just has so much longevity, they're STILL making amazing games for it!

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if the wii is ever going to pass the psx and ps2, nintendo will have to cut quality control and allow more wiis to break just after the warranty expires

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The n64 didn't suck, but it is no DC.

The Wii, unless they plan on keeping it out for, what, around 9 or 10 years like the ps2, then there is no way.

BTW, I personally am asking because I want to know that answer (hence the question):
    How long was the n64 out for in its "prime"?

I just want a comparison for myself so I can see which 1 has been out with a bigger good streak longer and stuff.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars View Post
    I don't see the Wii passing the Playstation 1 or 2, Heck I don't want it to beat the Snes in sales especially since the wii doesn't hold a candle to the snes or the nes.
    Hmmm, you mean besides it being able to play those games too?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The N64 did not suck!!

Only the controller, the fact you had to buy an extra expansion cart, $60-70 carts, and most of the games did!!!!

Hmmm...I may have to rethink my original statement up there...

I'm just shocked that the N64 was actually the 5th best selling console...seriously? The mind boggles.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    if the wii is ever going to pass the psx and ps2, nintendo will have to cut quality control and allow more wiis to break just after the warranty expires
    Agreed.
    Curiosity killed the cat.... Satisfaction brought him back.

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
    My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
    Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
    'Til then I walk alone...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The Wii won't beat either Playstation for one particular reason: it isn't breaking down often enough that people are just buying new ones to replace them...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    Good point.

I think the Wii might outsell the NES though. It's already more than halfway there and it's only been 23 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    How long was the n64 out for in its "prime"?
    Four-and-a-half years...late 1996 (Super Mario 64) to early 2001 (Conker's Bad Fur Day).

The last N64 game was released in August 2002 (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3), but almost everyone had moved on to either the Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, or GameCube by then.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I'm not crazy about the N64, though I consider Mario 64 to be about the best game of all time, and recognize many other good titles. I believe the Wii's game library has not surpassed the N64's yet, which is surprising considering the bloatware.

Ultimately N64 > Wii...so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I would say that the Nintendo 64 wasn't exactly the console that won alot of gamers hearts back during its console era. People used to compare the Nintendo 64 to the PlayStation all the time , causing some people to be indifferent to Nintendo 64. Looking back in retrospect on the console , I can agree that the console does have a quality library and its actually a great system to go back and collect for.

Anyways enough on the Nintendo 64 from me. Its good to see Nintendo doing so well with the Wii. However I don't think that it will match the number of units that the Playstation 2 has sold over its lifetime (mind you it still continues). People will still be buying Playstation 2 for its large library of games and some of its new releases.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I grew up on the NES and SNES, but the N64 came out around what I believe was the "prime" of my childhood at 8 years old. Being old enough to see and appreciate the jump from 2D to 3D gaming blew my mind... and being a Nintendo kid I was going to have that machine the first christmas available...

But before I get into a large, long-winded post of nostalgia, I'll just sum it up by saying that even though I grew up on the NES and SNES, I went through the better part of my later child years playing the N64, which in turn means it's probably still my #1 most played console. In some eyes this might be the "weakest" existing Nintendo console (VB notwithstanding), but it has its share of must play games, and some of my favorite games of all time are on the system... Goldeneye, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Zelda OoT, Mario Kart 64 to name a few. I grew up on MK64... none of this Super Mario Kart in this household!

For me, I'd probably personally put the N64 as my #2 console behind the NES, SNES being #3.

Who knows, when the PS3 and 360 become "classic" I may have a new #3, but it'll be damn hard for anything to replace my top two!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Good point.

I think the Wii might outsell the NES though. It's already more than halfway there and it's only been 23 months.

Four-and-a-half years...late 1996 (Super Mario 64) to early 2001 (Conker's Bad Fur Day).

The last N64 game was released in August 2002 (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3), but almost everyone had moved on to either the Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, or GameCube by then.
    Wow, four and a half years, and the Wii is, what, about 2 or 3 years. That is pretty cool, and means that the Wii will only move up in the ladder.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    ?

(josekortez looks at a shoulder bag in the corner of his bedroom containing a dead Wii console that succumbed to the infamous Smash Bros. Brawl glitch)
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never liked the N64, got a big collection of games for it, but Blurry64 and sucky ass controller make it without a doubt the weakest console of its generation, PSX and Saturn, to me where vastly superior.

Regarding the Wii though I really hope for gamings sake it doesnt pass the PS2, I mean come on,
    honestly can you tell me you want the Wii and its shitastic software libary to surpase some
    of gamings greatest moments? same goes for the SNES.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Wow, four and a half years, and the Wii is, what, about 2 or 3 years. That is pretty cool, and means that the Wii will only move up in the ladder.
    The Wii will hit it's 2 year anniversary later this month. So it surpassed the N64(a console that had been out for over 4 years) in less than 2 years time. It will absolutely pass the Snes and Nes as well(and I'll be the one writing those stories too). As for The PS2 and PS1, thats a completely different story.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It has to have the lowest games per console ratio than any of the systems it has surpassed. I also wonder how many people had to re-buy NES machines because of the blinking problem, I bought 3 until I got a top loader and never bought another one.