Thread: Sega Vision - Segas return to hardware?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Default Sega Vision - Segas return to hardware?

So being bored and the big Sega nerd I an, every so often I humor myself ( and depress myself ) by searching google for "new sega console" and this time I found something called the Sega Vision

http://www.seganerds.com/2008/10/04/...al-apparently/

Has anyone else seen this? It seems more like a portable multi-media unit with only basic game functions...but maybe its a step in the right direction, who knows? Either way this started my morning off on the right food

If you do a google search there are many more articles pertaining to it and its fairly new information dated at the beginning of october.

Your thoughts?
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's already a thread about the Sega Vision here:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122849

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's nice, but from what I hear it's just another MP4 player with Sega's logo on it, but unlike other MP4 players that never have a major position in the west, the Sega Vision will be sold in stores.

Either way, it's testing the waters for whether consumers and stores in America and Europe still trust Sega as much as Japan does.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    It's nice, but from what I hear it's just another MP4 player with Sega's logo on it, but unlike other MP4 players that never have a major position in the west, the Sega Vision will be sold in stores.

Either way, it's testing the waters for whether consumers and stores in America and Europe still trust Sega as much as Japan does.
    well I dunno about trusting them, but I certainly still love them enough that I'd fall all over myself to buy a new Sega console, if they ever made one that wasn't just another multigame machine with no way to add new games to it... I think they'd do quite well with a handheld that was something like an ipod, especially if they opened up their entire back catalogue from the SMS days to the present for it... who wouldn't be willing to buy a portable that gave you the ability to buy every Sega game ever made, for just a few bucks apiece? as long as it had a storage medium large enough to hold them all, I wouldn't quit downloading them until I had every single one on my unit, no matter how much it ended up costing me... I'd start with all the ones that were never released on any other system, then work my way through the entire SMS library, and then I'd do the same for Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast, in that order... what a dream come true that would be... but I'm sure the tech for storing that many GB's of games on a miniaturized medium that would be lightweight and small enough to make such a dream possible still doesn't exist yet... at least not at an affordable price... and even if it did, there'd still be the problem of emulating all those different systems with a single device small enough to fit in your hands... but in my fantasies, such things are being developed right now, and Nintendo is working on its own competing device that plays their entire catalogue too!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    well I dunno about trusting them, but I certainly still love them enough that I'd fall all over myself to buy a new Sega console, if they ever made one that wasn't just another multigame machine with no way to add new games to it... I think they'd do quite well with a handheld that was something like an ipod, especially if they opened up their entire back catalogue from the SMS days to the present for it... who wouldn't be willing to buy a portable that gave you the ability to buy every Sega game ever made, for just a few bucks apiece? as long as it had a storage medium large enough to hold them all, I wouldn't quit downloading them until I had every single one on my unit, no matter how much it ended up costing me... I'd start with all the ones that were never released on any other system, then work my way through the entire SMS library, and then I'd do the same for Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast, in that order... what a dream come true that would be... but I'm sure the tech for storing that many GB's of games on a miniaturized medium that would be lightweight and small enough to make such a dream possible still doesn't exist yet... at least not at an affordable price... and even if it did, there'd still be the problem of emulating all those different systems with a single device small enough to fit in your hands... but in my fantasies, such things are being developed right now, and Nintendo is working on its own competing device that plays their entire catalogue too!
    They're saying there will just be flash games, but a Sega Store with SMS games that are emulated on Java would be freaking awesome.

I've been looking for an MP4 player, but I'll have to wait for this.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought you were talking about their old in-house mag, Sega Visions, there for a second.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    There's already a thread about the Sega Vision here:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122849
    ______

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why hasn't this thread been merged or locked already?

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Why hasn't this thread been merged or locked already?
    This thread has been locked. It just keeps fighting its way back out. It's a tough one.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut