Thread: November 2008 Finds.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Around here, unless you're lucky enough to find one from good will, NES/SNES systems tend to go for $50. So that's not a bad price really, with games it's relatively fair and you got some uncommon games.

I would have just walked away from the woman though and never returned, you either sell it to the person in front of you or on eBay, you can't do both, and you cannot attempt to do both. So she was being screwy from the very beginning, at that point I would have just tried to find one elsewhere, especially when she tried to sell the games to other people. Just, stupid.

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yesterday, I went to one my local Pawn shops to see if they had anything good. I looked through their PS1 selection and found a complete copy of Brave Fencer Musashi for $10.

I continued browsing through the pile, and found complete black label copies of Final Fantasy VII through IX for $15 each. I already own these games, however my copies of VIII and IX are missing the manuals. I decided to phone a local retro shop to get a quote on how much credit I could get for the complete FFVII, and FFVIII and IX without the manuals. The guy gave me a quote of approximately $100 for all three! So I bought them, on the assumption that I be making about double what I paid for them, and have the added bonus of finally having complete copies of FF VIII and IX.

Unfortunately, when I went down to the shop today to trade them in (along with a PS2 and DS game), the guy's wife said she could only give me $55 total for everything! If course, I was kinda disappointed and confused because I distinctly heard the guy say "$100 credit", and I even repeated it back to him to double-check that I heard him right. In the end, I took the stuff to another Pawn shop in town, and traded the game for a copy of Chocobo Racing and some cash.

*Sigh* Oh well, at least I finally have complete copies of FF VIII and IX. Oh, and I decided to keep the near mint copy of FF IX that I found last night because it was better condition than my original copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

I'll tell you right now, I work in a pawnshop and unless they are there in front of you saying it, they aren't going to stick to a price. Also, pawnshops also have different buyers, which means if you were to get a quote that day, you go down THAT DAY, and they will remember your call. Never ask one day and go another, because they will never stick to another buyers quote.

I'm actually kind of amazed, since most pawnshops won't give prices without seeing the merch, sure you could have FFVII-IX (which I don't think are actually worth $100 total, because for them to make 60% profit on that they would have to sell them at ridiculous prices) but that doesn't guarantee that they are in mint condition with all the manuals (which they wouldn't be, and as a collector you know that decreases the value, pawnshops also know this).

At least you got Chocobo Racing.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Aaaaaaaaaaaargh

I went to El Cajon and the only remaining Hollywood Video store didn't have any games - they moved 'em all to the GameCrazy next door! ;_;

But I did find two cheap Gamecube games at the flea market (they need new cases though):

Nascar: Dirt to Daytona
    Swingerz Golf

$4 each, both complete.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 11-08-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I found a complete copy of both Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 at the pawn today. Both are in pretty good condition, with the cases needing some minor clean-up. Oh, the manual for the first game has something that looks like a Wendy's frosty spilt on the back. It hardened on, so it should come off without a problem.

$10 all together, and another good day for me!
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

after months of debate i decided to go ahead and trade in my psp and all 13 games along with my old ps2 for a brand new 80 gig ps3 along with MGS 4 and resistance fall of man.

stupid me, i thought for some reason that the ps3 was BC with ps2 games. i was wrong, but i think i'll just go ahead sometime and pick up a slim ps2 from gamestop or something.

btw, i got about $180 for the psp, psp games, and ps2 system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    after months of debate i decided to go ahead and trade in my psp and all 13 games along with my old ps2 for a brand new 80 gig ps3 along with MGS 4 and resistance fall of man.

stupid me, i thought for some reason that the ps3 was BC with ps2 games. i was wrong, but i think i'll just go ahead sometime and pick up a slim ps2 from gamestop or something.

btw, i got about $180 for the psp, psp games, and ps2 system.
    Some models of PS3 are Backwards Compatible, you should have done your homework.

60gig - True BC
    20gig - True BC
    40gig - No BC
    80gig - Emulated BC
    160gig - No BC

I think the only PS3 worth getting is the 60gig, as you get all the frills.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
    Last edited by Letiumtide; 11-08-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Some good finds over the past few days. On Wednesday and Thursday I was out in Santa Cruz doing some remerchandising for work. I spent most of Wednesday in the electronics department and came across a boxed (open but not removed from the packaging carton) XaviX Port that had been clearanced down to $5.00. Of course it doesn't do anything on its own but I was still going to pick it up and set it aside. I figured I'd leave it there, think about it overnight, and if it was there the next day probably grab it. Well I spent most of Thursday in a larger clearance area near the front of the store, still undecided about the XaviX Port. Buried among tons of clearance toys I found the XaviX Tennis module, complete and sealed - it was down to $5.00 as well. Now that I'd actually be able to use the system, I reunited the two boxes and picked them up for less than $10.00 all said and done.

XaviX Port (new) ($5.00)
    XaviX Tennis (new, sealed) ($5.00)

I know the system didn't get very good press (I agree the pricing scheme was a stupid move) and has since been called a bootleg Wii even though it was released first - but damn am I having fun with the Tennis game. Sure it looks like a 16-Bit era game, or possibly like a 2D tennis game from the PS1 era, but I think it plays great. Reminds me a lot of Virtua Tennis and I fell it plays out a more realistic game of tennis than Wii Sports. The first person perspective works out great, you really have to move for your shots, different shots and aiming feel fluid and proper, and you can actually rush the net. I really was thinking that I'd buy it for resale but I think it'll stay with me and I'll probably try to search out the other modules.

Back home the next day I did some early Christmas shopping for my siblings. A few select games were on sale Friday and Saturday for 50% off, one of them being Cooking Mama for the Wii. Less than $15.00 all said and done.

Wii - Cooking Mama (new, sealed) ($14.99)

With all the talk of the Hollywood Video deals I figured I'd try my luck tonight. Amazingly, I didn't run out on the first day the reports came in, so I wasn't expecting much. I picked the three closest stores and my girlfriend and myself planned a little excursion. The first one we stopped at didn't have a damn thing, but it was connected to a Game Crazy. We then went to the Hillsdale store which is standalone and had better luck. Everything was pretty well picked over but I was able to pick up four PS2 titles. There were a couple games there I would have liked to re-add to my collection (Kingdom Hearts comes to mind) but they had the generic cases and I know for a couple bucks more I could find them complete. There's a copy of Raiden III there (rental insert with the generic back art) I left if anyone in the South Bay wants a copy. Idiots at the counter first rang them up at sticker price, until I had a talk with them, a manager had a talk with them (pointing out to me it was only for the PS2, GameCube and XBox games - duh, that's what they are), and then the prices were finally corrected.

Next stop was the Bascom store which in the dark we passed up twice, I couldn't remember exactly where it was. Eventually we found it and was I glad we did - it's another huge standalone that had a pretty good selection. I really wish I had come to this one earlier in the week as I'm sure they had a ton of stuff and the store is somewhat hidden. The staff was also much better than at the other store. I picked up five titles here, leaving behind a bunch of copies of Final Fantasy XII, a rental insert Dragon Quest VIII (which again, I can find complete for $10.00 most places), bunch of rental insert GTA San Andreas and Vice City Stories and a ton of other games.

All $3.99 each, as is the current sale, all in security rental cases...

PS2 - The Bible Game (complete)
    PS2 - Bully (missing booklet)
    PS2 - Final Fantasy XII (complete)
    PS2 - Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (missing booklet)
    PS2 - Metal Slug 4 and Metal Slug 5 (missing booklet, rental insert)
    PS2 - Serious Sam: Next Encounter (complete)
    PS2 - The Warriors (missing booklet)
    GC - Super Punch-Out!! uh.. I mean Fight Night Round 2 (missing booklet)
    GC - Odama (complete with microphone and microphone retainer)

All pretty much picked up for me, no resale titles really in this bunch although I'll admit I grabbed the Bible Game for possible tradebait. I'm thinking of hitting a few stores up north tomorrow morning in hopes of getting a copy of Twilight Princess.

Not bad at all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    Some models of PS3 are Backwards Compatible, you should have done your homework.

60gig - True BC
    20gig - True BC
    40gig - No BC
    80gig - Emulated BC
    160gig - No BC

I think the only PS3 worth getting is the 60gig, as you get all the frills.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
    If he's gonna do his research, he should have some more info... and the big thing missing in your list is that some 80gigs have emulated BC, and some don't have any BC at all (the newer ones, a la the MGS bundle). The wiki article you linked to does have a very nice breakdown of what's what.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Thank you Blitzwing256 & Letiumtide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only one pick up for me this weekend so far

Avenging Spirit (gameboy) with manual for free after boo bucks coupon for value village that my wife had from buying clothes during october.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 3 famicom import pirate $8
    Ninja Gaiden 3 famicom import $16 (bought a few days after buying the pirate)
    Can you tell which one is which? Despite having three copies of Ninja Gaiden 3 in my collection(Ninja Gaiden 3 for Nes, NG3 for Atari Lynx and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Snes) I'll FINALLY be able to play this game.

Dragon Ball Z: Butoden super famicom complete $5.00
    Dragon Ball Z: Legend of The Super Saiyan super famicom complete $13.00---This is a hiragana text heavy rpg that will be my third attempt at playing thru an rpg. Since I don't understand any hiragana(too bad they didn't use kanji instead) this will be an interesting gaming experience

Jantei Story 3 pc engine $4.00
    Super Real Majong 4 Custom pc engine $4.00
    Dracula X pc engine $45.00

Now does anyone have a pc engine I can borrow to play these on?
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-09-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, this weekend wasn't my usual "Videogamerdaryll" style flea market run like I usually post. I don't think it's even worth my usual pics.

On saturday I visited the flea market I usually go to. My dad needed to get a booth, we usually set up there on sundays to get rid of crap. (not to make a profit like the other dealers, so we sell our stuff cheap. We get it cheaper to begin with anyways. We buy stuff at garage sales to sell on ebay. The stuff that isn't worth selling goes to the flea market. We then sell it cheap to the other dealers and that stuff sits at their booths for months and sometimes years before finally selling. We have a good relationship with the other dealers for giving them good prices, though.)

I visited my usual "good booths", which are the people I know and I usually buy from. I visited this lady that sells toys.(She has sold me a 1980's Japanese Gundam LCD game and SMS in the past) She has some N64 games- $3 each. I bought Diddy Kong Racing for a friend. I looked around. My flea market is pretty dead on saturday btw. I also got a Quick Shot NES joystick for $1.

On sunday I went for a short time. I had something to do so I couldn't stay for long. The person I got the joystick from promised me a "crate-full" of NES games. When I got there most of them had sold. I knew I shoulda woken up at 8:00 instead of 9:00. I got Paperboy 2 and Ikari Warriors from them for $2 a piece. I also saw another dealer; this guy that sells mostly antique-y stuff, but sometimes has cheap video games. I saw Shingen the Ruler (NES, R4) randomly sitting on a stack of CDs at his booth. It was $1
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After hearing all the Hollywood Video scores I went hunting and found three stores. I got 25 games at the first, 6 at the second, and the third wasn't having the sale for some reason. Anyway, I got:

ff xii x2
    pokemon channel cib (for some reason I was thinking these were really valuable)
    pokemon channel
    halo cib
    halo 2 cib
    ddr ultramix cib xbox
    zelda four swords + manual
    mlb power pros ps2 disc only
    baldur's gate 2 + case ps2
    baldur's gate 2 ps2 disc only
    god of war 2 cib
    ff x cib
    ff x-2 cib
    guitar hero 3 ps2 cib
    .hack 4 disc only
    kingdom hearts 2 + manual
    baldur's gate xbox cib
    star wars jedi outcast gamecube disc only
    zelda twilight princess gamecube + manual
    pikmin 2 disc only (dammit!)
    mario kart double dash disc only
    star ocean 3 discs only
    suikoden v + case
    mega man x collection gamecube cib
    resident evil 4 gamecube cib
    dreamfall xbox cib
    klonoa 2 disc only
    pokemon xd disc only
    mario golf gamecube disc only

$126 total

I was really hoping to fill some holes in my gamecube collection with Mario Kart, Mario Partys, Resident Evils, and Pikmin, but I still came out alright. Klonoa 2 was my favorite, I wish it was complete though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Klonoa 2 was my favorite, I wish it was complete though.
    I found a disc only Klonoa 2 as well, but I've had a complete one since release so I left it behind to build some good gaming karma. I'm heading out the door to two other stores right now, still hoping to find a copy of Twilight Princess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, HV near me is awesome. Got some decent cube games.

Target:
    Rock Band 2 189.99

HV:
    Battlefront 1 - XBox
    Battlefront 2 - XBox
    Mario Kart - GC
    Starfox Assault - GC
    Super Mario Sunshine - GC
    Mario Party 7 - GC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Picked up a few games this weekend:

Pikmin 2 (GC) - $15
    Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS2) - $8
    Luminous Arc (DS) - $30
    Last edited by namzep; 11-10-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Here are my flea market finds:

(saturn) Night Warriors (complete) - $2

(NES)Smash TV (cart only) - $2

(NES0Little Nemo Dream Master
    Ultima (cart only)
    - $1 for both.

Big box of mostly coleco stuff, with some sealed games - free
    For the list of coleco games, go to my topic in this forum, and maybe tell me info about them.

It also came with:
    (NES)Double Dare (ripped label)
    sealed blank adam data tape
    sealed adam multi strike film
    sealed TV/computer game switch
    logo programming book
    3 coleco controllers (1 is white and has a joystick, 2 are black and don't)

No real story behind it.
    The guy has had the box for weeks, his price getting a little cheaper each week I ask. Today when I asked, he said I could just take it if I collect that sort of stuff. ^_^

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    I'll tell you right now, I work in a pawnshop and unless they are there in front of you saying it, they aren't going to stick to a price. Also, pawnshops also have different buyers, which means if you were to get a quote that day, you go down THAT DAY, and they will remember your call. Never ask one day and go another, because they will never stick to another buyers quote.

I'm actually kind of amazed, since most pawnshops won't give prices without seeing the merch, sure you could have FFVII-IX (which I don't think are actually worth $100 total, because for them to make 60% profit on that they would have to sell them at ridiculous prices) but that doesn't guarantee that they are in mint condition with all the manuals (which they wouldn't be, and as a collector you know that decreases the value, pawnshops also know this).

At least you got Chocobo Racing.
    Hey Letiumtide, just to clarify something, it wasn't a pawn shop that gave me that $100 quote, it was a privately owned shop that sells retro stuff, including games.

Also, I've got a question for you. When you said that "for them to make 60% profit on that they would have to sell them at ridiculous prices", did you mean that they would have to mark up the prices to 60% more than what they gave me in credit?

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

I go to a flea market like 5 minutes from my house. I walk around a lady was selling a PS1 both versions for $25 & $35, all cables 2 controllers and a Free game. So I look around some more I see she has a NES for sale it's $25.00 like brand new, 2 contollers,hook ups,gun and free game. I say to myself "deal of a lifetime (kinda)" I buy it I says on a sticky note it works, so I am happy. I bring it home and test it on my TV, I get a red blinking light so I said "no problem, I will clean the game". I did this, now there is no picture on the screen. I am like what the ****, next I bring it to my bed room still no picture. I test it on my spare tv, no picture. I try giggling the RF adapter thinking that is the problem, still nothing. So I bring it back to the lady and tell her "i'ts not showing picture" "she said well my husband and kids were playing it last night". I am think to my self then why the hell are you selling it. Then again maybe she needs money. So She looks at to make sure it's hers, eventually I get my $25.00 back. I said "Thank You", and over course she said "Your Welcome"
    I said as walking to the car "son of **** the one time I find something I want I get screwed.
    BTW: does anyone know what could have caused to picture at all? There was no more blinking red light. I tried googling it and anothing came up, I am thinking the RF cable.
    Last edited by Hitman Tyler; 11-09-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore