Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Linux d00ds here?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    How on earth did you end up with a pentium 4 and no AGP slot? I haven't messed with PCI in about a decade, but with a 33 mhz bus, you might be shit out of luck.
    Yeah, I think I am going to be saving my pennies and slowly put one together from scratch.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

it probably has an agp bus but dell is the kind of corner cutting with integrated video why bother putting an agp expansion slot onto it, right? right?!??!
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best thing you're going to find in a PCI card is something like a Radeon 9200 or GeForce 5200, probably with 64MB RAM.
    It will be better than the integrated video on a motherboard that old, though, and it will free up the system RAM that your integrated video currently uses.
    Don't count on a bargain price, though.
    It'll likely cost as much as a PCIe card that's 20X more powerful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    haha you dont have to SUCK IT up that hard , windows vista is a horrible operating system, ill just come out in the open and state that i have not hated an operating system that much since windows ME. And as for how slackware is these days, its alright, its kind of moving in the direction of other distros unfortunatly each major release feels less and less like slackware to me, maybe i'm just stubborn but theres something about its grittiness that always appealed to me. I personally still stick with the version 8 releases for the most part.
    It came with my PC and it actually hasn't been that bad since SP1, but it still has its fair share of annoyances, for sure.
    Incidentally, I had a Windows ME box back in 2000, and I had almost no problems with the operating system.
    I guess I just have the golden touch when it comes to horrid operating systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I am playing around in Fedora 9 in VMWARE, pretty sweet though it reminds me of VISTA's nagging UAC because just about everything I try to do asks for a password, I understand I need to loin as root or something but every suggestion I find doesn't seem to work for me (one option to run a command to change this seemed I was on the right track but for me the OPTIONS were ghosted out) other than that seems interesting though.......................
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take that machine and hurl it out the window. Buy a new budget machine from Dell's Outlet Store. I recently picked up an intel dual core 2.4ghz (1mb L2 ), 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD for $300 shipped, after taxes. PCIe slot in there in case I ever want to get froggy, though I doubt I will since about the most advanced game I'll need to play on it is Trackmania Nations United.

It even came with a free mouse and keyboard, not to mention the undocumented inclusion of card readers on the front of the case. Oh, and it included Vista Home Premium, though I'm sure that doesn't mean much to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save your pennies until January when (hopefully) the new Mac Mini will be released. I'm assuming it'll be in-line with the new MacBooks and feature an Nvidia 9400M graphics chip. Install Windows XP SP3 with Boot Camp, and you're good to go for Windows gaming.

The new MacBooks run Warhammer Online perfectly fine, and the Mac Mini is a tiny little box that runs completely silently. However, if you require the option to install different graphics cards, or want to run Crysis, then even the new Minis won't cut it and you'll be stuck with a nasty PC tower. In that eventuality I'd suggest just getting a new Mini and a PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    In that eventuality I'd suggest just getting a new Mini and a PS3.
    Neither the mini nor the PS3 will play STALKER or STALKER Clear Sky. It doesn't matter how much you hate Microsoft, STALKER is reason enough to keep XP/Vista installed. The illegitimate lovechild of Fallout and Deus Ex? Yum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Save your pennies until January when (hopefully) the new Mac Mini will be released. I'm assuming it'll be in-line with the new MacBooks and feature an Nvidia 9400M graphics chip. Install Windows XP SP3 with Boot Camp, and you're good to go for Windows gaming.

The new MacBooks run Warhammer Online perfectly fine, and the Mac Mini is a tiny little box that runs completely silently. However, if you require the option to install different graphics cards, or want to run Crysis, then even the new Minis won't cut it and you'll be stuck with a nasty PC tower. In that eventuality I'd suggest just getting a new Mini and a PS3.
    The Mac mini line is pretty much EOL.