Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Escape from monkey island and Star ocean first departure questions

first EFMI

I cant get the ship to fire at me

second Should i bother picking up SO : FD
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

first: gamefaqs.com, that's the best I can do

second: if you like rpgs, yes. if you don't like rpgs, probably not. Personally I plan to get it at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

star ocean:first departure is a great game! especially if you like traditional jrpg, or likes the tales of destiny 2 for the psx or psp.
    if your planning on using your umd on a psp with cfm, itll prompt you to update to a newer fw, i think 4.05.. but you can get around it by making a image of your umd disk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Star Ocean's definitely on my to buy list, then again I've always been a bit of an S-E fanboy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

First Departure is great. If you've played Star Ocean 2 on PlayStation and liked it, then you know exactly what to expect. They basically took the characters and plot of Star Ocean 1 and threw them into a SO2 shell. Granted, that's kind of a cheap way to develop a game, but it's still loads of fun. Just don't expect an authentic SO1 experience because the Super Famicom original is WAY different. From what I've seen, the localization of the game is a bit retarded, but if you aren't familiar with the original game, you probably won't know the difference (the main character's name is really Ratix, for example, not the laughably stupid "Roddick"). Probably the worst problem is that they screwed up the consistency in the series (like changing Ronixis to "Ronyx", which goes against the faithful translation they already used the English localization of Star Ocean 2). But if you're not a big Star Ocean fanatic like I am, you probably don't care about details like those. I haven't heard the dubbing yet, so hopefully it's better than all the needless changes in the text.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

isn't the psp remake of the super famicom's star ocean coming out in january? this star ocean is a prequel right?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No, you're thinking of Second Evolution, which is a port of Star Ocean 2 with a few minor additions. All you gotta do is look at the titles - First Departure is the first Star Ocean; Second Evolution is the second Star Ocean. Neither are original games, but First Departure has a heck of a lot more new content than Second Evolution. In terms of the series time line, yeah, First Departure comes before Second Evolution, by 20 years, I believe. The main character of Star Ocean 2 is the son of Ronixis, one of the main characters of the first Star Ocean. That's what I was getting at with them screwing up the consistency because Ronixis is a non-playable character in Star Ocean 2 and plays a role in many of the more major plot scenes in Claude's scenario, but now it makes no sense with them renaming the character "Ronyx".

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    No, you're thinking of Second Evolution, which is a port of Star Ocean 2 with a few minor additions. All you gotta do is look at the titles - First Departure is the first Star Ocean; Second Evolution is the second Star Ocean. Neither are original games, but First Departure has a heck of a lot more new content than Second Evolution. In terms of the series time line, yeah, First Departure comes before Second Evolution, by 20 years, I believe. The main character of Star Ocean 2 is the son of Ronixis, one of the main characters of the first Star Ocean. That's what I was getting at with them screwing up the consistency because Ronixis is a non-playable character in Star Ocean 2 and plays a role in many of the more major plot scenes in Claude's scenario, but now it makes no sense with them renaming the character "Ronyx".
    i have no idea what any of the stuff you said about names and story meant.

but thats probably cause i never played SO.

my question, if i play the 2 psp games, are the names consistent? between the two.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's precisely the big question. No one knows yet if Square Enix is going to pull the original translation straight from Star Ocean 2 on PlayStation or if they're redoing the whole thing from scratch (regardless there is some new dialogue to translate). If they reuse it, it'll be really freakin' stupid if the names don't match. At the same time, if they alter it but only to change the names, it would be kind of a slap in the face to those who'd like to see a full retranslation. Either way, the damage is done to consistency in terms of the original English translation of Star Ocean 2. If I remember correctly, the original localization was actually done by Sony, so perhaps Square Enix doesn't even have the rights to it.

Star Ocean 3 had problems with this too, changing names of things that were already series canon. Hopefully these change-happy localizers aren't going to alter all the names of the Star Ocean 2 playable cast as well.