Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone still on the fence for a 360/PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought I wanted PS2 backwards compatibility, but all I ever see at places like AVS were complaints that it doesn't quite work right, so I decided it wasn't important enough for me to pay a premium for it.

My thinking was it would be nice to take advantage of my widescreen capable PS2 titles without them looking horrible on a HDTV, but if you turn on upscaling, it seems to mess up the aspect ratio if your trying to play on a hdtv with widescreen PS2 titles, and isn't displayed correctly. So you either turn upscaling off, which means you might as well use your PS2, or turn it on and not have the correct AR.

Here is the thread that basically convinced me to wait for a deal and not pay extra for BC. I'm sticking to playing my PS2 games on a PS2 hooked up with component to a 4:3 CRT.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=upscaling
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-10-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I thought I wanted PS2 backwards compatibility, but all I ever see at places like AVS were complaints that it doesn't quite work right, so I decided it wasn't important enough for me to pay a premium for it.

My thinking was it would be nice to take advantage of my widescreen capable PS2 titles without them looking horrible on a HDTV, but if you turn on upscaling, it seems to mess up the aspect ratio if your trying to play on a hdtv with widescreen PS2 titles, and isn't displayed correctly. So you either turn upscaling off, which means you might as well use your PS2, or turn it on and not have the correct AR.

Here is the thread that basically convinced me to wait for a deal and not pay extra for BC. I'm sticking to playing my PS2 games on a PS2 hooked up with component to a 4:3 CRT.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=upscaling
    Yeah, I've heard bad things. And I recently hooked my PS2 up through component and it doesn't really look that bad. I'd like to be able to see it for myself, I guess, although if I could find one for around the same price as the later models I'd definitely go with the 60gb and try my luck.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Yeah, I'm on the fence. Game selection and graphical history sends me straight to the 360. The more I learn of that deplorable warranty, though...I'm taking a second look at the PS3. Say what you will about it but at least it works better than the 360.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Yeah, I'm on the fence. Game selection and graphical history sends me straight to the 360. The more I learn of that deplorable warranty, though...I'm taking a second look at the PS3. Say what you will about it but at least it works better than the 360.
    I took the next gen plunge this weekend and picked up a 360. I am a Sony fanboy though, so this was a hard decision. But...

1. I don't want to pay an extra $200 for a built-in Blu Ray DVD player that will never be used in my lifetime.
    2. The game selection for both is similar since a lot of games are being release across both consoles.
    3. Of the games that are console-exclusive, I'm finding more "Oooh!" games on the 360 platform.
    4. As much as I like the (somewhat more extensive) backwards compatibility of the PS3, the 360 is backwards compatible with my favorites in my Xbox collection, so that's hardly a deal-killer for me.
    5. I have no intention of online play, so Xbox Live vs. Playstation Network is a non-issue. Don't care which is better as I have no interest in either.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the well-documented failure rate of the 360. I picked up one of the new Arcade units hoping that version may be less buggy. I may have good luck. I picked up my PS2 on launch day and, though the system's issues were legendary, mine has been working great with nary a hiccup. So we'll see what happens.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Yeah, I've heard bad things. And I recently hooked my PS2 up through component and it doesn't really look that bad. I'd like to be able to see it for myself, I guess, although if I could find one for around the same price as the later models I'd definitely go with the 60gb and try my luck.
    While I can't speak for the PS2 compatibility emulated 80 Gig PS3 (I have a 60 Gig), I'd say that rumors of the PS3's "upscaling" features being anything less than a GOOD feature are greatly exaggerated.

I've played probably 100 different PS2 games on my PS3 over the past few years with and without the upscaling on (on classic collections sometimes I want to see the sprites in their original form) and I've never encountered any type of stretching or strangeness in the way the image is displayed on a widescreen set.

I run my PS3 on a Panasonic 52 inch LCD through HDMI for what it's worth on a technical standpoint.

That thread over at that HD Video forum makes me laugh from the get-go, especially the first post.

"I HAVE ZERO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE PS3 .... MY ONLY COMPLAINT (about the PS3) IS:"
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-11-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    I picked up one of the new Arcade units hoping that version may be less buggy.
    Makes sense to me. I, too, had good luck with my launch PS2. I did, however, experience the "DRE" around '06 and again in '07 but I just open it up, clean the lens with a q-tip and alcohol, and it's back to normal. Takes me about 20 minutes and I played the crap out of it for nearly 6 years before that started.

Yeah, 360 has some good looking exclusives but anything is better than nothing, which is what I'm afraid I'll end up with if the system goes bad. I'd still pick one up if I were to find a really good deal on one. On the other hand, a good deal on the system could still leave me with a stack of software I wasted my money on. It's like being on a diet. "Don't eat that...sure does look delicious...don't do it..." Lol. Grats on the 360, though. Hope it works out!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I want a 360 now, due to having certain priorities I dont buy one. But I am afraid it will turn out to be a ps2 (I barely played it), all the games felt the same. Explosion here, gun over there, cool character and crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well after being on the fence for a while I finally got a XBOX 360 Sunday. I got the 60 GB version that comes with Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones included. I like it so far and have been playing the heck out of the Kung Fu Panda game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's only like 3 games that I would want a PS3 for and I already have the wii/360
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

i'd love to get a 60gb ps3, but

a) don't have $300+ bucks to throw around
    b) wouldn't pay $300 for any system where the majority of games i want to play are on a system i already have (360)
    c) i have no interest in bluray

so the ps3 falls into the "would be nice" category. i'll get one when it drops below $150. by that time the ps4 will prob be out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing holding me back on the X360 is the durability of the machine. It has more than enough good games now to warrant a purchase. But I'm not buying one until the RRoD is a thing of the past, or at least a very rare occurence.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I have a 360 and wii.

The wii has been sitting since june, and it was only turned on in June because my cousin wanted to play it.

The 360 I play almost every day. Its gotten rrod twice, but its still worth it because of the amount of quality games.

I would sell the wii for a ps3, but its the family's, not just mine, so I can't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: I got my answer for something.

I own a 360. It is awesome. A mix of new and old games (xbl and retail). You can't really go wrong.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I've said before, the only thing keeping me from the 360 is the unforgivable hardware failure. I know it's worth it to you guys who live in 360 land, but I just don't play current generation games enough to justify going through all the BS of waiting for these crooks to send you a box, ship the defective unit to them, wait for them to ship another defective unit back to you, and repeat the process every month.

I'm still keeping an eye on the Jasper boards which were supposed to be out two months ago, there are speculations ("I have a jasper because of the manufacture date/lot no. etc.") but there are no confirmed Jasper 360s on the shelves as of yet. I hope I can get one by Xmas, that'll be a nice present to myself.

And so far the only thing that really interests me are the new Street Fighter games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been on the fence for a while. Personally, a lot of these "epic", huge-scale, giant-budget games just don't appeal to me. They just feel bloated, require too much time, are often more complicated than they need to be, and often large parts of them just feel like work. I just don't have the patience or the attention span for a lot of these games. I got Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for free (on PC), and I tried, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a competently made game, but it's just not fun. After years of never touching it, I finally gave Oblivion a whirl, and it just about put me to sleep.

I also despise the $60 price point with a burning passion. The price of games is one reason I was a proud Sega CD owner, and also a gamer who completely skipped the N64. I hate -- hate that games cost more. And not only are they $60 initially, they also seem to drop in price less, compared to last-gen and Wii. It is very rare for me to pay $50, or even $40 for a game. I tend to wait until they're $30 or less. On 360/PS3, the price drops take longer, and there aren't very many budget games.

Each system also has its own problems that put me off. 360's failure rate has scared me for a long time. The fact that multiplatform games tend to be slightly better on 360 somewhat puts me off of PS3. Plus, if I were to get a PS3, I would have to track down a 60GB model. Although, the fact that 360 doesn't offer full backwards-compatibility at all is a negative against it. 360's overpriced accessories kind of put me off as well.

I agree with the OP about keyboard and mouse controls. How come Quake III on Dreamcast supported keyboard and mouse control with the system's proprietary keyboard and mouse peripherals that not a lot of people had, but Quake IV can't support keyboard and mouse control on a system with USB ports?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Still totally on the fence, yes. Right now I'm leaning toward the PS3, but if they could conclusively prove that the new 360's were at least 95% reliable then I'd snap one of those up instead. Unfortunately, only time can tell..

Either way, I'm getting a Wii first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've been thinking of buying a 360 ad PS3 since launch, but haven't seen that many good games on either of them to convince me yet. Sure, Dead Space, Bioshock and Fallout 3 seem like must plays, but I see no reason to buy either system for those since I will (eventually) play them on my PC anyway. The Live Arcade looks decent, but definitely no system seller, and I have zero interest in online gaming either. Furthermore, I don't have an HDTV yet, and playing 360/PS3 games on SDTV actually makes one realize that they really are just glorified PS2 games with better graphics anyway ;-)

Actually, writing this message makes me realize that strangely enough, the Wii is the one offering the best exclusives at the moment, however that may upset some self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers here. Still, I can't say that any of the big-three are a "must-have" right now, with their value-for-money factor still being abysmally low compared to a PS2.