Thread: When a publisher closes a server down for your favorite game, how do you get through?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default When a publisher closes a server down for your favorite game, how do you get through?

Sierra recently shut down their master server for a few of their legacy games. Unfortunately I feel like a drug addict with plenty of drugs but no needle. How do you guys move on to other games? Especially in the case where there is no modern equivalent?
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

out of curiousity -- which game impacted you specifically?

personally, this has not happened to me, since my time is limited, and the amount of games i wish to explore is vast, often times i move on from a game while it is still fresh, or at times start playing a game after it has already lost all support.

however, for multiplayer games i know many popular ones have player-run or custom servers running (such as Ultima Online, Counter-strike 1.5 and several others).

i hope you find a player run server to play your game, otherwise perhaps try other, newer (or even older?) games to take its place (not necessarily be an equivalent)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    out of curiousity -- which game impacted you specifically?

personally, this has not happened to me, since my time is limited, and the amount of games i wish to explore is vast, often times i move on from a game while it is still fresh, or at times start playing a game after it has already lost all support.

however, for multiplayer games i know many popular ones have player-run or custom servers running (such as Ultima Online, Counter-strike 1.5 and several others).

i hope you find a player run server to play your game, otherwise perhaps try other, newer (or even older?) games to take its place (not necessarily be an equivalent)

Alien Vs. Predator 2.

There are multiple people developing alternate server patches and this is badly defragmenting the community. It literally went from 50 servers hosting 240 people down to 2 servers hosting 6 people over night.

Colonial Marines is on the way but that won't be until next year. And even then the online play sounds like it will suck with limited maps and possibly no way to use the alien as a character.

AVP Requiem was recently published but it sucked so bad (as well with the movie) that I have no idea if anyone would sink any more cash into a 3rd (proper) game.

AVP2 is in a few ways like Starcraft in that you had three races that were perfectly balanced. I have yet to see any first person shooters come close. Definitely there are better looking ones - but playability wise its got to be up there.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!