Thread: How to play old video game songs - my instructional videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to play old video game songs - my instructional videos

For the past several months, I've been posting instructional guitar videos on YouTube to help people learn how to play songs. So far, I've posted songs by The Beatles, The Cranberries, Badfinger, Harry Nilsson, Radiohead, They Might Be Giants, Blake Babies, etc.

Today, I posted my first video game-related instructional video and it's for piano/keyboard. It's the Blades of Steel (NES) end credits music, which is one of my favorite video game songs ever. It plays after beating the tournament. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQ4_8VGes4

Picking this song apart was a good challenge and a lot of fun, especially with all of the altered chords. I've been meaning to learn it for a while and I'm glad I finally did.

Let me know what you think. If you like it, I'll do more. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-13-2008 at 10:08 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's awesome. I love figuring out video game music, but I know that most people either can't or aren't very good at figuring things out by ear, and this would be helpful for them.

Definitely post more. The only suggestion I have is to play through the finished piece at the beginning before you start teaching it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    That's awesome. I love figuring out video game music, but I know that most people either can't or aren't very good at figuring things out by ear, and this would be helpful for them.

Definitely post more. The only suggestion I have is to play through the finished piece at the beginning before you start teaching it.
    Thanks for the tip. I think I might tackle the Contra end credits music next!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More! Especially if you can work all the sound channels in as best as possible (or when possible).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    More! Especially if you can work all the sound channels in as best as possible (or when possible).

-Rob
    Playing the bass line, chords, and melody all at the same time is tough, especially considering I only have two hands.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Playing the bass line, chords, and melody all at the same time is tough, especially considering I only have two hands.
    Yes, it can be very tough, but classical lessons helped me a lot in learning how to do things like this. Very cool when all comes out correctly, though!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually spent a bit of time this summer looking for good videos teaching how to play video game songs on the piano. Apart from Punch Out! (thanks YTMND) and Super Mario there isn't too much. I love the Blades of Steel music and I'm looking forward to anything else you come up with. Keep it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure about NSFs, but I've definitely seen SPC->MIDI converters around.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Try playing organ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    I actually spent a bit of time this summer looking for good videos teaching how to play video game songs on the piano. Apart from Punch Out! (thanks YTMND) and Super Mario there isn't too much. I love the Blades of Steel music and I'm looking forward to anything else you come up with. Keep it up.
    From what I've seen, most of the people playing video game music on YouTube play either Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, or Tetris. I wanted to try something different. I'm glad you like it!

I think I'll do the Contra ending music next and maybe something from Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man II...more of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post

Try playing organ
    I know, it's insane. I saw a silent movie at an old movie theater in Jersey City recently and there was a man playing an organ that controlled dozens of different instruments built into the walls (organs, horns, flutes, percussion, etc.). He used both hands and both feet and I was completely blown away. It was like a one-man orchestra. This is the one:

Garden State Theatre Organ Society - Wonder Morton Theatre Pipe Organ (photo)

NJ.com - The Robert Morton Wonder Organ in Jersey City, NJ (video)

YouTube - The 4/23 Wonder Morton Organ at The Loew's Jersey Theatre (video)
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-13-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just posted my new video:

YouTube - Contra end credits - How to play video game music

I decided it'd make more sense to keep my instructional video game music videos separate from my instructional guitar videos, so this is episode 1 in my new series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just wanted to say, great job on the videos. I saw the other one and went back and checked out several of the guitar ones as well. Great job!

Like someone else mentioned, my only advice would be to play the NES version of the song at the beginning of the video, and play the full version at the end. That would really make it more enjoyable for people who may not be familiar with the source material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Just wanted to say, great job on the videos. I saw the other one and went back and checked out several of the guitar ones as well. Great job!

Like someone else mentioned, my only advice would be to play the NES version of the song at the beginning of the video, and play the full version at the end. That would really make it more enjoyable for people who may not be familiar with the source material.
    Thanks for the compliments and suggestions! I wish YouTube allowed videos longer than 10 minutes. These video game songs feature complex chords and I like to go slow to make sure the viewers understand what I'm playing. Having a few extra minutes would be perfect.

In my next video, I'll definitely play a clip from the actual song and then go into my lesson.