Thread: [SOLVED] Help me get my Fairchild Channel F up and running!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default [SOLVED] Help me get my Fairchild Channel F up and running!

As the title states, I happened upon a Fairchild Channel F, including the box; it was discovered at my grandparents' house, beneath some other stuff on a shelf in the back corner of the room. It had apparently been there since it was fairly new, back in the 1970s.

This thing is in rather attractive condition, albeit with a single problem: I can't get the video output to show up on any of my TVs.

The RF Modulator sends the video out one of the old "two prongs" connectors (I haven't a clue what they're really called). I, having never actually seen a TV old enough to have these, ran it into one of those "turn my two prongs into a coax plug" things (again, no clue as to the name of this).

After plugging it all in, before turning on the Fairchild, I suddenly got TV signals from the airwaves-- I've never gotten that, even with my TI99/4A's RF modulator. That was strange.

I set everything up, and turn on the Fairchild Channel F. The screen gets all "snow-y", but the sound from the TV program is still coming through. I can't find the Channel F's signal on any channel.

I'm taking suggestions-- what could be wrong, and how can I get this thing to work? What channel is it supposed to show up on? Will that "prongs-2-coax" thing cause the problem? Is the RF modulator simply too old to be alive?

Thanks in advance, guys.
    Last edited by aclbandit; 11-30-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Have you gone out and located a real live RF switchbox to try out? Radio Shack still sells them (or at least the last time I was there), and you can occasionally find old style switchboxes at dollar stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    The RF Modulator sends the video out one of the old "two prongs" connectors (I haven't a clue what they're really called).
    For the record, they are 300-ohm connectors, which fit onto two sets of screw terminals on the tv's back (one for VHF (channels 2-13), the other for UHF (14-83).
    The coax thingy is a 300-75 ohm converter/adapter.
    Last edited by dendawg; 11-14-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Have you gone out and located a real live RF switchbox to try out? Radio Shack still sells them (or at least the last time I was there), and you can occasionally find old style switchboxes at dollar stores.
    AHA! I had to google what an RF Switchbox is before I understood, but basically it appears that the cable plugs its male end into the RF "switchbox" (since I now know what it is called); that switchbox is the thing that will let you connect two things in at once.

From what I can gather, it's not the switchbox I need, but rather a thing which converts that plug into a screw-in. Based on the pictures I found, the box won't be necessary, since I only need one source for the coax at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    For the record, they are 300-ohm connectors, which fit onto two sets of screw terminals on the tv's back (one for VHF (channels 2-13), the other for UHF (14-83).
    The coax thingy is a 300-75 ohm converter/adapter.
    And, thank you for clearing up the names for these, I had no clue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you SO MUCH guys! I found a "phono-to-f" converter, and plugged it in-- it works GREAT! I played hockey for a minute, and the only cartridge I have, tic-tac-toe. SO awesome!

Pictures to follow in a little while.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default I got one too, but I'm having a problem

I got a Fairchild and one of those RCA female to coaxial male plugs like you did and it works... but only for a few minutes. After a while the signal goes out and turns to static on a tv or the blue screen on a VCR.

I read something about Fairchilds being susseptable to radio wave interference and I'm wondering if this is the case.

Like if I leave the system on, then turn off the VCR or TV for a minute and turn it back on, I hear a power-on sounding click come from the the Fairchild and the game comes back on. But it looks like the game has reset itself.

It looks like it has to be a problem with the connection between the RF cable and the device it's plugged into.

I do live in Seattle where there are a lot of FM radio stations. I also live in an apartment so there are likely many people around here who are tuned in to the radio. Did Fairchild expect people to play this system in their basement or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I do live in Seattle where there are a lot of FM radio stations. I also live in an apartment so there are likely many people around here who are tuned in to the radio. Did Fairchild expect people to play this system in their basement or something?
    Ah, see, I live in a relatively small city, so the interference isn't as bad. However, the RF switch thing wouldn't show picture at all, just Who Wants to be a Millionaire-- for some godbeknownst reason, the RF switch turned the Channel F into what equates to a rather nice antenna.

After skipping the whole official fairchild RF Switch and using the weird thingy I bought, it all works great. I only played it for about 20 mins, though, so I dunno about extended playtimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about the long delay between promised pictures and the actual posting thereof-- crazy couple of days.

Anyhow, he's the Channel F, up-and-going next to my TI99/4A ^_^

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go find copies of Alien Invasion and the air hockey like game(can't remember the name) and you'll be all set.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Go find copies of Alien Invasion and the air hockey like game(can't remember the name) and you'll be all set.
    Actually, the AWESOME air hockey game is one of the two included on the console, lol.

Tell me more about alien invasion-- I see that it's cart #26; what's it like?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DREW View Post
    Alien Invasion = Space Invaiders[/url]
    haha, wicked. I'll grab it if I run upon it cheap (i.e., not the "normal" channel f prices, lol)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a minor thing, after moving it to my LCD TV and plugging it into the VCR, the "wobbly" picture looks far more awesome now. Perhaps the person having issues with interference could try a VCR?