Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone play fallout or fallout 2?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anyone play fallout or fallout 2?

ive been playing fallout 3 and been loving it so far and i was wondering if anyone played the first 2 games and i was wondering how do they stack up to 3, are the first games any good, are they worth playing after playing the 3rd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh the first 2 are fuckign amazing ;p despite all those idiots that claim fallout 3 fails, theyre idiots. I do like the first 2 better though, but fallout 3 is very amazing (just no that 1 and 2 are turn based combat only, and top down view).

Also: Fallout 3 had the worst ending ever Not the last 30 minutes with LP (even if the part at the purifier did end quick ;p) that stupid 30 second slide show was stupid, and horrible.

Playing 1 and 2 before 3 woulda been better for you ;p you could experience all the awesomeness and see some of the tie-ins. Like herbert and the vault 101 quest ;p

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, but don't really care for Fallout 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loved Fallout and Fallout 2. Fallout seemed a bit more cohesive as you played through it in whatever order you wanted to; it always felt like you were playing through it the way it was intended. Fallout 2 felt a bit more disjointed and compartmentalized. That's really my only complaint about the game.

I wasn't too crazy about either Brotherhood of Steel game, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

loved fallout 2 haven't had a chance to play 1 or 3 yet though.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Itīs really a matter of taste. For me, being a console-RPG-player, Fallout 1 and 2 were just horrible. They are just very much Baldurīs Gate-like RPGs, with a totally different focus than console RPGs.

That said, Fallout 3 is from Bethesda, and loving Morrowind and being generally much more favorable for modern 3D RPGs on the PC, I think that I would love Fallout 3.

So, there is no guarantee that you will like Fallout 1 and 2 just because you like 3; my own copies have gone deep into the depths of "never again"-games, while I really like what I have seen of Fallout 3.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Here is what you do in Fallout (1/2?) Create a character with an intelligence of less than 4. Hilarity ensues.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

haha if you dont mind barely being able to speak.

DP Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 108Stars View Post
    Itīs really a matter of taste. For me, being a console-RPG-player, Fallout 1 and 2 were just horrible. They are just very much Baldurīs Gate-like RPGs, with a totally different focus than console RPGs.

That said, Fallout 3 is from Bethesda, and loving Morrowind and being generally much more favorable for modern 3D RPGs on the PC, I think that I would love Fallout 3.

So, there is no guarantee that you will like Fallout 1 and 2 just because you like 3; my own copies have gone deep into the depths of "never again"-games, while I really like what I have seen of Fallout 3.
    yah they're completely different then jrpgs its said that everyone think jrps are "RPGs" when they're not even real rpgs themselves there's just nothing else to classify them as :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did that in Arcanum... made a character with the lowest possible intelligence. It was pretty hilarious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i was playing neverwinter nights 2 doing a boss fight and he hit me with a decrease intelligence spell so at the end of the fight in the convo with the boss my guy was yelling stuff like "YOU TELL NOW, HOW MANY WING GUYS U GOT?!"

DP Feedback Thread

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

fallout 1 and 2 are amazing achievements in writing and design. they are in the top 10 of best RPGs of all time (dont even bring the crap that the japs call RPG up in this thread). the shear amount of depth, possibility and freedom in those games is astonishing. you REALLY want to have an impact on the game world? you REALLY want your actions to shape your character? then you need to play them. (make sure you patch them completely, fallout 1 is a lot better now). fallout 3 is not a bad game, but it doesnt hold a candle up to 1 & 2 in terms of plot, writing, possibility, story, freedom & humor.

having said all that, fallout 1/2 is not for everyone. the graphics are dated and the game is as far away from action as it can get. the highlight of those games is story/setting and (gasp) roleplaying.

(i second making a character w/ intelligence 4 or lower, it is hilarious, especially if youre gonna be evil)

i believe gog.com has each game for like 6-7 bucks, with downloadable manuals, guides etc

and everyone who loved fallout 1/2: play Arcanum, made by the same people, same engine, more choices (set in a steampunk early 1900s)

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

i had a similar experience. tried fallout about 7 years ago and i thought it was a slow, clunky mess. of course, i didn't stick around long enough to be impressed by any of the story stuff, so maybe that was godlike, but i just couldn't get past the interface. as a disclaimer, i couldn't stand baldur's gate or icewind dale for the same reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought Fallout for the Mac years ago, but never played it, since I wasn't much of a fan of that kind of RPG. Later, I bought Fallout 2 cheap, with the intention of forcing myself to play the first game then jump to the second. Still didn't happen. I picked up Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and enjoyed it quite a bit. From what everyone has said, it's a game that throws away a lot of the best stuff from the originals, but taken on it's own without the previous inspirations to color my perceptions of it, I found it to be a great little run-and-gun game with RPG elements. I've yet to play Fallout 3, since I'm so paranoid about my 360 getting the red rings of death that I pretty much don't play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please donīt bash JRPGs just because they are different. They just do some stuff much better than western RPGs, having a different focus. But that does not make them less of "real RPGs" than Baldurīs Gate and Fallout. I just prefer more original skill systems, less micromanagement and more dramatic storylines than western RPGs have to offer.

Especially older PC RPGs offered more of an enviroment to solve lots of quests in than a complex storyline with real characters and dramaturgy. Having played the western RPGs myself I can say that it is just unsatisfying to walk around killing monsters 90% of the time (the key to almost every quest) in the role of a completely characterless avatar interacting with pretty much exchangeable NPCs and party-members. I want to learn to know people, have their own stories told, and dramatic story-events. If you want that stuff JRPGs are just the better choice for the most part.

Only the later 3D RPGs could make up for that with their wide 3D-landscapes and better, less clunky playability. They have learned from JRPGs to reduce the annoyances and make instead the worlds more lively, and less-standard-looking, keeping the free movement. Finally western RPGs appeal even to me. Games like KOTOR, Morrowind or Gothic have done much to improve western RPGs to a wider audience.

And I hope Fallout 3 does that too; Bethesda has my trust.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Please donīt bash JRPGs just because they are different. They just do some stuff much better than western RPGs, having a different focus. But that does not make them less of "real RPGs" than Baldurīs Gate and Fallout. I just prefer more original skill systems, less micromanagement and more dramatic storylines than western RPGs have to offer.
    jRPGs arent real RPGs, they are something else. Roleplaying games were born in the west (as tabletop) and evolved onto pc using the same rulesets with expanded story lines. Jrpg are digital novels with progressive character skills.

Especially older PC RPGs offered more of an enviroment to solve lots of quests in than a complex storyline with real characters and dramaturgy. Having played the western RPGs myself I can say that it is just unsatisfying to walk around killing monsters 90% of the time (the key to almost every quest) in the role of a completely characterless avatar interacting with pretty much exchangeable NPCs and party-members. I want to learn to know people, have their own stories told, and dramatic story-events. If you want that stuff JRPGs are just the better choice for the most part.
    those were real old... like early/mid 80s old. fallout, baldur's gate, and the latter have none of the features you mention here, they are all story driven and there are at least 3 ways to solve anything in fallout (with only 1 being violent). micromanagement is what RPGs are about. you take the role of a person and you shape his role, from his skills, appearance, impact on the game world (and vice versa). Jrps put you in the body of a prepubescent boygirl of questionable physical (and sexual) stature. and have you follow the cliched story as you rescue/avenge your love/family/village/world while being betrayed/helped by who was originally thought to be a friend/enemy.

Only the later 3D RPGs could make up for that with their wide 3D-landscapes and better, less clunky playability. They have learned from JRPGs to reduce the annoyances and make instead the worlds more lively, and less-standard-looking, keeping the free movement. Finally western RPGs appeal even to me. Games like KOTOR, Morrowind or Gothic have done much to improve western RPGs to a wider audience.
    actually all the 3d graphics and stuff was a result of technology, not jrpg influence, the only influence that jrpg had on real rpg was the pussyfication of the elder scrolls franchise (see morrowind -> oblivion) and now fallout (although 3 by itself is a pretty good game). Kotor/morrowind/gothic took no influence from jrpg.

And I hope Fallout 3 does that too; Bethesda has my trust.
    its not a bad action game, an rpg it is not. bethesda crafted a fine game however undeserving of the fallout moniker. nevertheless it is closer to being an rpg than the japs ever will be.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slightly off topic, but those of you complaining about the interface for these games, you guys are experiencing what a lot of non-gamers feel when they pick up any controller with more than 4 buttons. I think that's interesting to think about, because the sort of iteration that has lead us to modern games often makes it hard for new people to catch up quickly.

Slightly more on topic, console-style RPGs, and PC-style RPGs are both evolutions of tabletop gaming in the '80s. Play through Final Fantasy 1, or Dragon Warrior 1 again if you haven't, and I'm sure you'll see it.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of games being made like Fallout 1 and 2 anymore. The greatest strength of these games, for me, is providing a fully realized world for the player to experience any way they want. Video games tend to be heavily oriented towards violence, and while there is nothing wrong with that, the few games that come along like Fallout that offer non-combat solutions to most problems, while still leaving in combat, make them somewhat special.

If you are looking for more games like Fallout 1 and 2, there are the already mentioned games, and I'm a big fan of Planescape Torment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Here is what you do in Fallout (1/2?) Create a character with an intelligence of less than 4. Hilarity ensues.
    You save that shit for a second (or third) playthrough! Gotta go in with a hardcore bullshitter at some point, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I strongly disagree with what you write, Poofta!.

Calling Baldurīs Gate story-driven is hilarious and shows that you have little expectations when it comes to story. Just another scenario with you as a nameless hero stumbling across the worlds, and fullfilling quests that depend 90% of the time on slaying monsters. Fighting monsters is what you do most of the time, while NPCs offer so little interesting to read. There is no interaction of the characters with the story; it could have been any other generic group of heroes in the playerīs place.

And yes, JRPGs are RPGs. WTF does the heritage of RPGs to do with it? Many AD&D players have argued that computer RPGs were no RPGs either, just like you now dismiss JRPGs. You can not define what is RPG and what not. In Japan games like Ultima and Wizardry had a huge following, and modern JRPGs are as much heirs to these games legacy as BG is.
    Yes, western RPGs did change due to the influence of JRPGs; they learned that showing some beautyful graphics adds to the experience, instead of having detailed, but boring isometric graphics. They did learn that micromanagement is annoying for most players, resulting in what you call pussification. But that is just getting rid of unimportant and uninteresting weight. They now offer you NPCs with backgrounds, instead of just a few different sprite variants with random quotes.

Cover your eyes from the truth if you want, but the quality of western RPGs has risen to new hights, and games like KOTOR are closer to JRPGs than to old western RPGs. Look at the pre-defined characters, who are not exchangeable and needed for the storyline to go on. Look at the battle system that finally brought some dynamics into the RPG, with action and exciting visuals being included where old PC RPGs offered the simple playback of the same slash animation over and over until someone died.

Now it is the JRPGs turn to take some of the free exploring from western RPGs to advance further.

Sorry if it sounds like a bashing; I admit it is just a matter of taste. But the dismissal of one way or another to do games just makes me mad. Everyone should play what he likes, and nobody has the right to define what is RPG and what not.

As for Planescape Torment, it is the only BG-style RPG I still have hope for; I hear offers lots of reading t, so I hope for a more intense story than with itīs cousins.
    Last edited by 108Stars; 11-16-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guess what, you're both right! You're obviously both deeply intrenched in your own beliefs on the matter, and no one is going to change anyone's mind, so how about we drop it and stick to the original topic?

I've never played Fallout but Fallout 2 is great. Personally I found it to be quite hard, though, and never got more than 5 or so hours into it. One of these days I'm going to go at it with a guide and see if that helps.

If you play 3 first then you might be disappointed in 1 and 2 though.