Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone play fallout or fallout 2?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

the point of an RPG is to play a role in the world. you create and define the character you wish to become. his stats, his skills, his history and most importantly his decisions in teh world. that was the origin of PnP RPGs. this point is completely missed by Jrpgs, hence they are not ROLE-PLAYING games. you are spoon fed everything and just lead your hopeless mess across the story line, its an interactive graphic novel. if you do not have the will, or imagination to shape your own character (with decisions and skills) in a game, then by all means, stick to cookie cutter jap games. but do not for a second think you are a RPG fan.

early RPGs (western) did not have a high reliance on story due to technological limitations (but nevertheless there were rogue like games and zork). however western PC rpgs ALWAYS looked better than whatever the japs were churning out at the time (simply due to the favored platform: PC-western, Consoles-jap)

i am not debating the popularity of jrpgs, hell i have every rpg out on the ps1 & gba (and almost every on psp). and there are tons of great games there. but rpgs, they are not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Heart the Cock!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

poofta, this isn't an argument you're going to win.

most jrpgs quite literally give you a role to play, and then allow you to customize your hero's skills, equipment, or spells. just because they give you a role to play rather than you playing the namesless fill-in-the-blank hero route like a lot of wrpgs doesn't make them any less rpgs.

maybe someone should start another thread for this... i could see this taking up a few more pages.

what was the original topic?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

JRPGS =/= WRPGS

News at a 11:00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post

most jrpgs quite literally give you a role to play, and then allow you to customize your hero's skills, equipment, or spells. just because they give you a role to play rather than you playing the namesless fill-in-the-blank hero route like a lot of wrpgs doesn't make them any less rpgs.

maybe someone should start another thread for this... i could see this taking up a few more pages.

pooftas right though ;p

The whole "started it" thing is just crap, who cares who started it. The most important part of an RPG is to be your own character, something which you cannot do at all. You play a set character with set attributes, physical appearance, gender, and all that else.

JRPGs are not RPGs, but really there really is nothing else to call them so hey they're JRPGs! It's like saying Zelda is an RPG.

First person to say "BUT ZELDA IS AN RPG!" needs to slap themselves hard in the face.

It is a damn action/adventure game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post

supreme commander lets me do all that (loose on the spells thing, but it's a scifi and you can choose the weapons and count the d-gun as a "spell". And I'm playing the "role" as the command unit ;p

It's an rts.

OP was playing f1 and f2 ;p

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

in short: fallout 1 and 2 are amazing games that come highly recommended by any RPG fan or PC gamer. give it a shot and see if you can look past thier age and into their heart and soul (the freedom & story). they may be hard games at times, try to focus yoru character around combat in the beggining of the game. (dont do advance weapons in the beggining, like energy & big guns)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    in short: fallout 1 and 2 are amazing games that come highly recommended by any RPG fan or PC gamer. give it a shot and see if you can look past thier age and into their heart and soul (the freedom & story). they may be hard games at times, try to focus yoru character around combat in the beggining of the game. (dont do advance weapons in the beggining, like energy & big guns)
    HAHA i like your avatar perk :P