Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever asked for one game and gotten another one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Have you ever asked for one game and gotten another one?

Many birthdays ago I asked my mom to get me SimEarth on the SNES for my birthday. I briefly read the synopsis in the Electronics Boutique catalog and it sounded pretty cool. (That was my source of knowing what game to buy back then) Instead I received EarthBound which I had never heard of. I didn't tell my mom that but it ended up being a pretty good mistake. I still have the huge box and guide it came with and consider it one of my favorite games. Incidentally, I did finally pick up a complete copy of SimEarth a couple years ago just to add to my collection.

Please share any similar stories.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Cant remember if this ever really happened because I was usually very specific with my gift requests including giving my mom a written list with the actual name and stores that had it in stock (branch listing style with some games branched to the same store). I guess you could call me extra cautious but even still it did happen once or twice and I ended up with one game that was utter garbage and one that I kept till I finally sold off my Original Clear Plastic GB and my Black Gameboy Lite (which was oddly enough Pokemon Blue and I was literally addicted to it for awhile).

Insert Coin (Level 0) WhatsMyUsername's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrItaliano2004

Thankfully my mother is paranoid, so she always gets me to write down the game name exactly and the platform. Though when i was younger I asked for a kirby game and got kirby star stacker from my auntie. Still a great game but not the same.
    Gamertag: WatsMyGamertagg

Every game can be enjoyable, you just need to be more creative with some then others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The only time I recall this happening was right after I got my first Playstation. I had asked my wife for a copy of Galaga: Destination Earth for my upcoming birthday and instead she got me a copy of Namco Museum Volume I which had the classic port of the game among others. I didn't complain because it was still a nice compilation, and I couldn't fault my non-gaming wife for missing a point of detail like that. I wanted Galaga and I got Galaga.

But actually that's a whole separate story in itself because the used disc Mrs. Pan bought from Gamestop was somehow mislabeled. Although the label plainly identified it as Namco Museum I, the game on the actual disc was Rugrats: Search For Reptar . When I took it back to Gamestop they looked at me like I was nuts, but spun it up and were just as confounded by me at this and swapped it out for a correct disc.

So to make a long story short, I asked for one game, but wound up with two different ones .

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

This is why, when I send the unsuspecting members of my family looking for specific games, I get a picture of the box art, and print up a very colorful list
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

I asked for THPS 2 for the PC, instead I got it for the GBC. Ugh.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the day, I asked for Tecmo Super NBA Basketball for the SNES, and I got Bulls vs. Blazers because Portland's home team was featured in the title.

The reason I wanted Tecmo Super NBA Basketball? It had every team, while EA's game only featured the ones that made the 1992 NBA playoffs (and oddly enough, the Clippers somehow managed to be among them), and the east and west All-Star teams for that year. Still managed to get some enjoyment out of the game, though.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

When I was 14 I spent a week with my brother in Minnesota. I rented Breath of Fire 3 while I was there and coveted a PlayStation for my birthday. I asked for the game of course, only what my parents bought was Blazing Dragons.

I told three other people what I wanted too though, so I ended up with two copies of BoF3 anyway. I like point and clicks too so I wasn't really upset that they bought the wrong game. Thought it was funny.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

That's pretty much all that ever happens to me. I suggest many games during the year, I get something random. I don't really care, I like trying out new games. Strangely enough, My parents have not made a slip up yet...

Always good games and precisely what I need too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Sorta related,

During the birth of the 16 Bit era, I was reading up on both the TurboGrafx 16 and the Genesis. After a bit of research I decided the one that was coming out with a CD Rom add-on would be the coolest one to get. I was reading about the TG-16, but when I looked at the Genesis I saw the round top and thought that was a CD clamshell. So I asked for that one thinking it would play disks.
    It was the wrong system I had in mind but I had a darn good run with it. especially after finding out how much the Turbo CD cost.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On one of my birthdays when i was a kid, i asked for Ultima: Warrior of Destiny. I told mom "the one with the blue box". She ended up buying me Ultima: Exodus The one in the "purple box" I was an ok game, but not as good as the Warrior of Destiny.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I remember asking my mom to buy me Pokemon Crystal many years ago. She almost bought Lego Racers for GBC instead, but thankfully bought a rechargeable battery pack instead.

In another topic on here somewhere, I remember reading about a guy who asked for Phantasy Star IV, but got Toy Story instead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always end up getting something other than a game. I will randomly say something like, "Oh, Liar Liar is a funny movie" and get that on vhs instead of the game that costs 1.99 on clearence at target that i am looking for.

That seriously happened. I don't remember which game it was, but I told somebody to get me a game for X-Mas that was on clearence at Target, but instead, they bought me Liar Liar on vhs (and this is still during the time frame when dvd's were very popular, like a couple years ago).

This family member had to actually track this down because they got it new and sealed.

Yeah, they didn't do it as a gag gift either. Yeah, Liar Liar that had to be tracked down so that it could be found new.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, definitely, I wasn't always a walking trivia book of gaming knowledge. :P In my early teens, I was completely clueless about what games were out there. Seriously, even a Mario or Zelda or what have you could come out, and I wouldn't be aware of it. All I knew was what I had, and the vast majority of that came from random purchases decided at the game counter determined by box art and their descriptions on the back or sometimes influenced by commercials I saw. So one time, I asked for a pinball game for Super Nintendo (I don't even know if there was such a thing at the time; heck, are there any US-released SNES pinball games period?), which was a request based on playing a pinball game on somebody else's Game Boy (which many years later I learned was Revenge of the Gator, which I still don't have), and I ended up with On the Ball, which began my lifelong obsession with Cameltry. And later on I picked up Kirby's Pinball Land once I actually owned my own Game Boy, so it worked out better than expected. Another time, my mom told my dad that I liked Mario games, and I ended up with Super Mario Kart. Another happy accident. All in all, these random acquisitions worked out really well for me. The only time it failed was when I first got my SNES and was incapable of making any suggestions short of saying I wanted another game for it, and because I liked the movie Jurassic Park, I ended up with the game. Really, it's not a bad game, but it wasn't really little girl material. I didn't know what the heck to do and it kinda freaked me out, so I barely played it at all, which is still the case to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has never really happened to me, because I never asked for one game, I always made a list. I did occasionally get a game I didn't ask for, though. Usually from my mom, who would find a game that was somewhat cheap, and "looked like" something I would like. Sometimes they would be games I'd never heard of, other times they'd be games I knew about but didn't think were in stores anymore.

The best was in '99. I'd only had a Playstation for a year, and really wanted Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but I didn't ask for it because it wasn't in stores anymore. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it. I asked my mom where she got it from, and she said she bought it off some guy for $10. She had been a little unsure about it since I didn't ask for it, but she got it because it "looked cool" and was only ten bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One Christmas many moons ago, I asked for a copy of Mortal Kombat, wrote it down, and even cut a picture out of the catalog, and I got a pair of flannel pajamas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember my cousin calling me back in December of '93, asking what I wanted. I adamantly stressed Clay Fighter for the SNES (yeah, I was a huge fan of the game at the time, hey, I was 10..). I ended up getting clothes for Christmas instead, lol.

Another similar tale though not one we specifically requested...

Another time, Christmas 1992, our uncle bought us this Genesis game (Death Duel) but my bro and I saw the 15 label or whatever, so our parents took us to the mall with the receipt (luckily my uncle kept it and gave it to my parents) and we exchanged it for Mario Kart... one of the best trades EVER

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid I asked for the PC version of Sonic CD for christmas, only to get the PC version of Sonic 3D Blast instead. My mom was like "It's Sonic on CD-ROM. That's what you wanted, right?"

I actually had a lot of fun with Sonic 3D Blast. I feel like the only Sonic fan in the world who actually likes that game...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one horror story that comes to mind. I asked for Final Fantasy III one Christmas and got Power Rangers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually get the games I ask for, along with other games that I haven't. If I ask for one or two for my birthday or something I'll occasionally get like 4-5 games. It's always nice to see what games my parents can dig up. Of course this doesn't really happen anymore, but it did alot when I was a kid.