Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody do sega genesis mods here..s-video..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I just did a test-run of a Genesis 3 S-Video mod, and it looked awesome but I was wondering what kind of S-Video connectors the "pros" use to do their mods, and where could I get one?

Is there anything that is easy to mount like with a large nut/bolt type setup like guitar jacks have?

I de-soldered one out of an old motherboard and it works fine, but I haven't mounted it yet, the Genesis 3 is rather short on space, and I'd like to find something sturdy before I drill the case and make it more permanent.
    Last edited by crrimson; 05-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I normally one from digikey, but can't remember the part number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may have found one, how about this one: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1234-ND

My problem was I wasn't searching for "mini-din" I was searching for s-video connector, I'll see if mouser has them too I kinda like their catalog better.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked into it. Then I came up with a different approach. Since the genesis outputs rgb I just built a rgb to s-video circuit. I bought a cheap rgb to s-video encoder from arcademvs.com and just wired it into a genesis scart cable. However out of the box the genesis/megadrive model 1 has much better sound quality than the model 2. Also the great thing about building a rgb to s-video circuit is you can use it for other systems as well. Currently mine's used for my megadrive, super famicom, and arcade supergun. I just bought a cheap scart switch to let me choose which system it's using. This way I was able to keep the system in its original state without having to open it up and add/remove parts. And I can use my rig on any genesis/megadrive. So if my megadrive ever dies, then I just buy a new one and plug it in and I'm back in business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I looked into it. Then I came up with a different approach. Since the genesis outputs rgb I just built a rgb to s-video circuit. I bought a cheap rgb to s-video encoder from arcademvs.com and just wired it into a genesis scart cable. However out of the box the genesis/megadrive model 1 has much better sound quality than the model 2. Also the great thing about building a rgb to s-video circuit is you can use it for other systems as well. Currently mine's used for my megadrive, super famicom, and arcade supergun. I just bought a cheap scart switch to let me choose which system it's using. This way I was able to keep the system in its original state without having to open it up and add/remove parts. And I can use my rig on any genesis/megadrive. So if my megadrive ever dies, then I just buy a new one and plug it in and I'm back in business.
    I live in the US so I've never even seen a SCART cable. This project cost me $0 since I already had all the stuff, all the people I've read posts from that had to buy converters and scart cables for RGB output spend $100. My question is why would you use S-Video for a megadrive when I thought SCART was component quality?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crrimson View Post
    I live in the US so I've never even seen a SCART cable. This project cost me $0 since I already had all the stuff, all the people I've read posts from that had to buy converters and scart cables for RGB output spend $100. My question is why would you use S-Video for a megadrive when I thought SCART was component quality?
    megadrive scart cable only sends a rgb signal. Not component. And not everyone has a tv with component jacks on it. And my point is when you do it the way I did you can easily hook up other systems to it that also use rgb. When you mod just one system then only that system can use the encoder. My method may cost a little bit of money but if you actually want to play more than one system it's well worth it. Here's a demo of how the switching of systems works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kernD...e=channel_page

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

where did u get the scart switcher?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duo_r View Post
    where did u get the scart switcher?
    I got it from ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems cool, but I like soldering , and I'm pretty cheap. It is nice that you don't have to cut any holes in the old systems, thats why I didn't do the mod to my Genesis 1, because I love that thing and I've had it since 1989 when I was 6 or 7.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crrimson View Post
    It seems cool, but I like soldering , and I'm pretty cheap. It is nice that you don't have to cut any holes in the old systems, thats why I didn't do the mod to my Genesis 1, because I love that thing and I've had it since 1989 when I was 6 or 7.
    yeah well. I just like to remind people that there are other ways to get s-video out of a genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well yeah I have seen these on ebay, just wondering which one you picked up. If you could link it would be cool and maybe some feedback how good it works.

I got it from ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah well. I just like to remind people that there are other ways to get s-video out of a genesis
    It is good to have options. Maybe post an instructables or something on it, to show what equipment you used and how to hook it all up.
    Last edited by crrimson; 05-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*accidentally double posted
    Last edited by crrimson; 05-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

although S-video is a nice upgrade, I chose like many the "Atlona" YUV to RGB box on ebay. Component video on all the old systems is top notch. If you got component inputs on your set, this is the best way to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's not currently on ebay. But you can get it from here

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

product a-22. The problem is this one's a bit stripped down so you have to know a little about wiring. But it's pretty straight forward. I wired it into a computer hdd power supply molex to get power. And just the rest is rgb in and s-video out. The composite video on it looks terrible. But the s-video is clear and nice. The only problem I had with the s-video was the chroma output was too high. Since there's only rgb adjustment pots on it I just added some resistors to the chroma wire of the s-video cable plugged into it and the picture became perfect.

As for compatibility it works on all my arcade pcbs, megadrive, and super famicom. Super famicom it needed a 100uf 10v capacitor on the sync line to get a working sync signal since it has extra voltage going through the lines on the ntsc models. Ironically the first system I ever hooked this board up to was a US genesis model 2. I just spliced up a scart cable and wired it straight into the encoder and it worked great.

component video is better looking but s-video's good enough for me and my tv doesn't have component jacks. I have a friend with a new astro city arcade cab running a brand new moniter he bought. Myself and other friends have played games on his cab and then played stuff on my setup and they all agree my setup's pretty darn close in picture quality (just very minor colour bleeding)
    Last edited by Drakon; 05-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats not too expensive it all, especially being that you can use it for multiple systems. Nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

by chance - what is the voltage requirement for this board? The website says 8-5V which doesn't make sense. I am really hoping it could take 5V but I don't think it can.

it's not currently on ebay. But you can get it from here

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

product a-22. The problem is this one's a bit stripped down so you have to know a little about wiring. But it's pretty straight forward. I wired it into a computer hdd power supply molex to get power. And just the rest is rgb in and s-video out. The composite video on it looks terrible. But the s-video is clear and nice. The only problem I had with the s-video was the chroma output was too high. Since there's only rgb adjustment pots on it I just added some resistors to the chroma wire of the s-video cable plugged into it and the picture became perfect.

As for compatibility it works on all my arcade pcbs, megadrive, and super famicom. Super famicom it needed a 100uf 10v capacitor on the sync line to get a working sync signal since it has extra voltage going through the lines on the ntsc models. Ironically the first system I ever hooked this board up to was a US genesis model 2. I just spliced up a scart cable and wired it straight into the encoder and it worked great.

component video is better looking but s-video's good enough for me and my tv doesn't have component jacks. I have a friend with a new astro city arcade cab running a brand new moniter he bought. Myself and other friends have played games on his cab and then played stuff on my setup and they all agree my setup's pretty darn close in picture quality (just very minor colour bleeding)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yaton stuff is arcade stuff, so it's rated for 5V but will not blow even if you supply it with up to 8v.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duo_r View Post
    by chance - what is the voltage requirement for this board? The website says 8-5V which doesn't make sense. I am really hoping it could take 5V but I don't think it can.
    When it came in the booklet that came with it said 12v. So I just wired it into the 12v wire of a computer psu hdd power molex.