Thread: PS2 Longevity because of Wii?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Longevity because of Wii?

I guess I haven't taken the time to see how many games have come out on the Wii and PS2 but I believe the reason there are still so many new games coming out is because of the popularity of the Wii and the portability between the two platforms. I realize that the PS2 is the best selling console ever but you have to admit that some of the success that Sony has had with it over the last year or so has to do with publishers bringing out games on both the Wii and PS2. Usually when first party support is dropped for a system it dies pretty quickly but the PS2 is still getting the likes of CoD5 and Tomb Raider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just assumed it was because they could still cash in on the guitar hero craze

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

...or it could be because of the PS2's 118 million install base.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    I guess I haven't taken the time to see how many games have come out on the Wii and PS2 but I believe the reason there are still so many new games coming out is because of the popularity of the Wii and the portability between the two platforms. I realize that the PS2 is the best selling console ever but you have to admit that some of the success that Sony has had with it over the last year or so has to do with publishers bringing out games on both the Wii and PS2. Usually when first party support is dropped for a system it dies pretty quickly but the PS2 is still getting the likes of CoD5 and Tomb Raider.
    Yeah, that's probably a big reason.

1. The Wii
    2. Cheaper games than 360 or PS3
    3. Most gamers own the PS2 and some would rather buy the game for PS2 than buy another system
    4. Maybe the GH craze.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Uhhhhhh No.

The PS2 has the biggest install base of any game system out there. They keep making games because they've sold 100 Million plus PS2's and there are still solid sales for the games. Besides every system sold is cash in their pockets (sony's) and the licensing fees are next to nothing, meaning that publishers can get games out and make a profit faster.

Sony has a built in life cycle for the PS2 of 10 years (just like the PlayStation, which did basically make 10 years). We'll see some more games for another year or two, and maybe longer if the PS3 continues to be a problem system for them.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call of Duty: World at War Final Fronts for the PS2 is not the same as the Wii game, which itself is just a port of the 360/PS3/PC version. Final Fronts is an entirely separate title built by Rebellion.

Also, there's no such thing as "Call of Duty 5" yet. If anything, World at War is Call of Duty 7.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Call of Duty: World at War Final Fronts for the PS2 is not the same as the Wii game, which itself is just a port of the 360/PS3/PC version. Final Fronts is an entirely separate title built by Rebellion.

Also, there's no such thing as "Call of Duty 5" yet. If anything, World at War is Call of Duty 7.
    Well that was random as hell...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Uhhhhhh No.
    Indeed. The PlayStation2 is Sony's ultimate Cash Cow and they aren't about to suddenly stop producing games and hardware now. There's also the whole emerging markets thing in countries like Russia, India and Brazil; these people are only just officially getting the PS2. I can see the open platform status in Europe resulting in a huge variety of interesting software releases for a long time to come.

I'd love to know exactly how much it costs Sony to manufacture the new SCPH-9000X series with the built-in PSU. This is the most refined version of the hardware and Sony must have cut production costs down to a tiny amount.

The economy at the moment also means that people really don't have the spare cash to go spending it on new games consoles. As far as most people are concerned, they have a PS2, it plays GTA and they're happy.

And look at the choices you have:
    Xbox 360 - It's cheap, but it breaks. It's like having a time-share console.
    PS3 - It's bloody expensive, and the majority don't yet have an LCD panel to warrant Blu rays
    Wii- It's not exactly 'next gen' but you buy it 'cos your missus wants to play Wii Fit and you think that Mario Kart might be fun. Until the swearing begins....

That's not to say people aren't buying the new machines, they obviously are. But there are many millions of people out there with much more important things to spend their wages on than the latest games machines. If they do have the spare cash to spend on a new game, they want it for their current console; inevitably a PS2.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the PS2 and the Wii are helping to keep each other going, and I think it's great, even though I still don't own either one of those systems yet... I'm still getting treated to the PC versions of many of those games, and I'm enjoying them all... I just wish they'd port more of the racing games... I'm prolly only getting half of what's released for those consoles at best, and 1/4 of what's released for them at worst... plus PC exclusives that kick all of those consoles asses... so what exactly do I really need a new console for? oh yeah, Speed Racer... apparently that's a Wii exclusive... so I'll get a Wii...

I wish I could afford to get hooked on PS2... and XBOX... not 360 & PS3... but glad I got to experience most of the best of their racers... just missed a few that I really cared about, and was eagerly hoping to play on the PC... hopefully some day I'll be able to enjoy those through emulation somehow...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    oh yeah, Speed Racer... apparently that's a Wii exclusive... so I'll get a Wii...
    Speed Racer got ported to the PlayStation 2, and it's only $20.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) WhatsMyUsername's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrItaliano2004

I think guitar hero is a big factor not the only one but still a big one. For a lot of people who don't really play games much but want to play guitar hero they could get their fix a lot cheaper.
    Gamertag: WatsMyGamertagg

Every game can be enjoyable, you just need to be more creative with some then others.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Don't forget DDR which is still easiest/cheapest to get on the PS2

<-- still craves a metal pad. Le sigh.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Indeed. The PlayStation2 is Sony's ultimate Cash Cow and they aren't about to suddenly stop producing games and hardware now. There's also the whole emerging markets thing in countries like Russia, India and Brazil; these people are only just officially getting the PS2. I can see the open platform status in Europe resulting in a huge variety of interesting software releases for a long time to come.
    I was in Russia around the time they came out with GTA: San Andreas and PS2 games were already being sold over there. The only thing was all thier games cost more than $50-$60 if you converted their cash to ours. Its kind of a stupid move considering how little money most average people have to spend on that sort of thing over there. Either way, they had them and weren't worth paying the price.